Sign in to follow this  
The Zack

'First-aid' needed for 5,000-year-old Somali cave paintings

The Zack   

By Laura Allsop for CNN

February 5, 2011 6:48 a.m. EST

(CNN) -- Prehistoric paintings of antelope, snakes and giraffes that have survived for around 5,000 years are now under threat from looting and a lack of protection.

The rock paintings, which include renderings of dogs and sheep as well as human figures, were discovered at Dhambalin, in a unique sandstone shelter close to the Red Sea in Somaliland, a breakaway state from war-torn Somalia.

They were found by Dr. Sada Mire in 2007, in what she says was first ever survey initiated and led by a Somali archaeologist in the region. Since then, Mire has discovered 100 cave and rock art sites across Somaliland, but they need desperately to be preserved.

Mire said the sites are not only vital to the understanding of pre-history across the Horn of Africa, but also important in bolstering cultural pride in the people of Somaliland.

"That gives them a sense of dignity and that they are not totally desperate, they have something that the world thinks is very valuable," she said.

Source..Read more

The Zack   

Some of the comments on that page are annoying, some are hilarious.

talktalk666

"..they can benefit in future from tourism"-- Somalia Dept. of Tourism

Translation-- we want the Americans to come here and spend money.

Build a couple of hotels and a 7-11 and we'll come a spending......

JimmyK860

No we won't. That country's a crap hole. I wouldn't go there if I was offered a Bugatti.

Some Somali dude said this:

Abdifarah

For the Billion time the paintings are not in Somalia but in SOMALILAND! Geez a little reading can save you. No wonder US is lacking behind in education. Go back to the Cheeseheads Vs Steelers preparations

He got this as a reply LOL

Pepaof3

Okay Mr. Geography teacher!! Somalia, Somaliland, its all the same cesspool!!

BOB   

The guy wants his country not to be confused with that god forsaken country called Somalia...nothing wrong with that but he's preaching to the wrong bunch...I wish he'd join SOL.:D

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Waar isku xishoo...If Newcastle ruined your Saturday don't take it out upon us.:D

Peace, Love & Unity.

wyre   

Pepaof3

Okay Mr. Geography teacher!! Somalia, Somaliland, its all the same cesspool!!

JB Armuu ahaa mr.Geography teacher ka:D

were discovered at Dhambalin, in a unique sandstone shelter close to the Red Sea in
Somaliland
, a breakaway state from war-torn Somalia.

Mire has discovered 100 cave and rock art sites across
Somaliland
, but they need desperately to be preserved.

but also important in bolstering cultural pride in the people of
Somaliland

Now we know what the article said ,,,, and the fact that i do not trust Zack .... I assume he is the one posted the two comments ,,, :D

las geel is amazing. its a potential cash cow but i don't see what all the fuss is about. its located in a remote place in the middle of no where. it usually gets a few white tourist per day. the damage in my opinion is how cheap it is to visit. you usually need to acquire a permit from the ministry of tourism. its only $20. its a travesty.

The Zack   

LOL@JB. Did Zack write the title of the CNN article, too? By the way all the little quotes you posted are all part of what i already posted in my first post. Its amazing how abdi farah is trying to explain "Somaliland" to possible red necks from the hills of Tennessee . :D