Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Lesley Hazelton Discovers the Holy Quraan

I think it’s heartening to see bold, new interpretations of problematic verses in the Quran. One scholar of Semitic languages, Luxenberg, argues that the term ‘houris’ does not denote maidens at all, rather the term refers to ‘white raisins’. From this TED lecture, I gleaned that Hazelton seems to think that ‘houris’ are not female companions with whom the faithful will have intercourse. She thinks houris are mysterious, perhaps asexual, creatures. Her interpretation requires a bit of linguistic creativity, but I think it is less embarrassing and less raunchy than interpreting such verses as ‘swollen breasts’, ‘perky bosoms’, ‘untouched by man (sexually)’, ‘bashful virgins’; namely, the received interpretation of generations of Muslim theologians. Just read the exegeses of Al-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi, Ibn Katheer, or Al-Suyuti on the nature of houris. To medieval theologians, such creatures embodied the essence of male sexual fantasies.