Sign in to follow this  
ElPunto

Low-profile mentoring program gets results

ElPunto   

86912ede431b8b87c2580a8c130b.jpeg

Raveena Aulakh

Staff Reporter

Published On Sat Jan 15 2011

Sadiq Alihashi is a good guy but don’t tell him that — he thinks it’s patronizing.

“My friends and I do what we believe is right . . . not because we want any recognition or money,” says Alihashi, his brow furrowing.

“And this is right.”

This is the gymnasium at York Humber High School near Weston Rd. and Jane St. It’s about 8 p.m. on a Friday and some three dozen teenagers, mostly Somali-Canadians, are playing basketball. They are quick on the floor, darting from one side of the court to the other. Two coaches watch the players, use their whistles liberally and every minute or so yell out rapid instructions.

“Move it . . . faster, faster.”

“Don’t lose that ball.”

So it goes for three hours — yes, on a Friday evening. It’s one facet of Centre for Youth Development and Mentoring Services, a non-profit organization that works with youth, to help them avoid a life of drugs and gangs by keeping them busy.

Started by four friends — Alihashi, Abdifatah Warsame, Ali Sheikh and Abdi Qami — in 2006 with just a dozen teens, the group now has as many as 80 registered at any one time. Between the ages of 12 and 18, they come from north Etobicoke and North York.

On Tuesday and Friday evenings, they meet for some slam-dunk basketball while Thursday and Saturday evenings are reserved for help with homework and mentoring. Attendance is mandatory.

The program has carried on quietly for five years, keeping a low profile; but its results have been miraculous. None of the 300-odd teens who participated in the program have dropped out of school. Their grades have gone from low C’s and D’s to high B’s and, in some cases, A’s. And many have gone on to college and university.

But most of all, the teens have stayed out of trouble — away from the street crime that has plagued the community.

It’s a well-documented fact that children from Somali, Arab, Iranian, Portuguese and Vietnamese communities have a dropout rate two to three times greater than the national average.

(Somali children have a 36.7 per cent dropout rate, Toronto District School Board figures show.)

The four Somali-Canadian friends, in their 30s, could never wrap their heads around those numbers. Back in 2006, they chatted about how they could help teens in their community.

“They (teens) faced the same problems as we did,” says Alihashi. “Poor neighbourhoods, low-income families. We made it through school and based on our experiences, we wanted to help other kids.”

Soon after, the Centre for Youth Development and Mentoring Services was born.

Hassan Abdi, 15, joined the centre two years ago. When Warsame, who works at a high school in Mississauga, first asked Abdi to bring his report card, the teen’s mouth fell open. “What for?” he remembers asking defiantly. “To keep a check on your grades,” he was told.

The lanky teen with a wide smile wasn’t too happy but complied.

When his grades started creeping up from low B’s to middle A’s and math became his favourite subject, Abdi realized that Warsame and the others had designed a homework plan focusing on his weak subjects.

“I realized they were looking out for us,” says Abdi sheepishly.

If needed, the mentors will talk to a teen’s teachers.

Not only have 17-year-old Ismail Mohamoud’s grades gone up, he is already planning his future: he is interested in architecture or law.

“Do you think I would have even started thinking about my life if I hadn’t been here,” says Mohamoud, a gangly teen who can win a slam dunk contest hands down. “No way. . . . I would have been out doing something I shouldn’t be.”

Stories like these make the time spent at the gym worthwhile, says Warsame, who lost a young friend to gun violence in 2008.

He and his friends have never approached any government or agency for help. “We feel we don’t have to be paid to bring a change,” he says. “It’s what we want to do.”

Interestingly, there are no girls enrolled in the program.

“Because they do well at school. The problem is with the boys,” says Alihashi, shaking his head.

“If we can help a few dozen kids at a time, it’s a start.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/921956--low-profile-mentoring-program-gets-results

Juxa   

what a remarkable young men maasha allah! i love the fact they dont need to be paid to help their own.

Juxa   

normally they open community and ask for cash, then afkey iska mariyaan and the programme is maxaad iidhiibatay

BOB   

Adiga kuwaas maa wax ka qabatid oo aad filinkooda gashid...I'm talking about kuwa dulliga ahee Soomaalida madaxooda lacagta ku cuna dadka masaakiinta ahee rafaadsana aan waxba u qaban...you're the common woman/man's representitive...just remember that.

Peace, Love & Unity.