Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Detained American Says He Was Beaten in Kuwait

WASHINGTON — An American teenager detained in Kuwait two weeks ago and placed on an American no-fly list claims that he was severely beaten by his Kuwaiti captors during a weeklong interrogation about possible contacts with terrorism suspects in Yemen.

The teenager, Gulet Mohamed, a Somali-American who turned 19 during his captivity, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday from a Kuwaiti detention cell that he was beaten with sticks, forced to stand for hours, threatened with electric shocks and warned that his mother would be imprisoned if he did not give truthful answers about his travels in Yemen and Somalia in 2009.

American officials have offered few details about the case, except to confirm that Mr. Mohamed is on a no-fly list and, for now at least, cannot return to the United States. Mr. Mohamed, from Alexandria, Va., remains in a Kuwaiti detention center even after Kuwait’s government, according to his brother, determined that he should be released.

Mr. Mohamed said that Kuwaiti interrogators repeatedly asked whether he had ever met Anwar al-Awlaki, the American-born cleric now hiding in Yemen who is suspected in terrorist plots by Al Qaeda’s Yemen affiliate. He said that the Kuwaitis also asked detailed questions about his family in the United States and his family’s clan in Somalia — information he said he assumed that American officials provided to the Kuwaitis.

Mr. Mohamed denies ever meeting with militants. “I am a good Muslim, I despise terrorism,” he said in the interview.

Read More Here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/world/middleeast/06detain.html?_r=1&src=twrhp

US confirms American held in Kuwait

WASHINGTON — The US government said Friday it has offered its services to an American held in Kuwait and who reportedly alleges he was beaten by security agents inquiring about his trips to Somalia and Yemen.

Gulet Mohamed, a 19-year-old born in Somalia, was detained at an airport in Kuwait when he traveled there last month to renew his visa, according to The Washington Post which quoted his lawyer Gadeir Abbas.

The US State Department denied charges -- which the Post said were made by Mohamed through his attorney -- that Kuwaiti officials detained the young man on behalf of the United States.

"He was not detained at the behest of the United States government," State Department spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters.

"We have been providing him consular services. I'm not at liberty to say a great deal," he said, adding he did not have a legal waiver of privacy to say more about him.

But Crowley added: "We are aware of his detention. We have provided him consular services, and we are ensuring his well-being, as we would for any citizen in detention."

According to the Post, Abbas said he had spoken over the phone with his client who alleged security agents repeatedly struck him in the face while he was blindfolded and handcuffed.

He added that Mohamed was also beaten with a stick.

Abbas said the interrogators asked Mohamed whether he knew the US-Yemeni cleric and terror suspect Anwar al-Awlaki, whom senior US officials consider a terrorism threat on a par with Osama bin Laden.

Copyright © 2011 AFP

BOB   

He said that the Kuwaitis also asked detailed questions about his family’s clan in Somalia

What is that got to do with what he's allegedly accused of? :mad:

Not so long ago several American nomads in here were celebrating Obama's election like inee Somalia nabad ka dhacday and I was embarrased to read some of their comments which I thought showed how naive some of our people are...my point is, as long as you're Somali which you'll always will be whether you like it or not you could find yourself in the same situation all it takes is one id!ot to point a finger at you and as a Somali born whatever no one would believe your story no matter how innocent you are so I'd advice you to be extra careful and choose carefully where you visit and the countries you pass through to get to your destination and most of all inform your family, lawyer, friends and neighbours because they might be your ONLY witness when you find yourself in a monkey business predicament...May the creator and the lord of Adam, Ibrahim and Muhammad (p.b.u.them) protect us all Insha Allah.

Peace, Love & Unity.

UWSLF   

London2010;686594 wrote:
He deserves it and more. Better the Kuwaitis do something good for once and just make him dissapear. The world doesn't need rubbish like him.

I hope with all my heart that they rape you with a metal object, what did he do that was so bad? Visit his homecountry? Go to Yemen and learn Arabic?

If you think this is good news, think again, anyone that goes to Puntland/Somaliland/Kenya/Somali Galbeed will be accused of joining Shabaab and planning attacks back home.