Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Desktops and laptops Q's

Chimera   

Some questions to the tech experts here:

What would you consider a respectable amount of RAM and Harddisk space?

are 500 MB and 60GB respectable?

Are brands like Acer and ASUS honorable brands or knock-offs?, because there prices are highly attractive.

If you know a good brand that sells laptops/desktops please post them here(max. £300)

Thanks!

^ 500 MB & 60 GB are insufficient to run most commercial Operating systems and applications.

the maximum amount of RAM a 32-bit machine can handle is ~3.2 GB most newer machines have about 4 GB installed ... even tiny netbooks have 1 GB RAM.

as for the 60 GB harddrive .. a typical windows installation will take up 50% of that add ms office and you only have less than 10% disk space remaining to do any work on.

low end machines these days are in the 1 GB RAM 120 GB harddrive range.

but if you know exactly what you are going to use it for you can tailor your system to suit your needs ... in which case 500 MB RAM and 60 GB hard disk would be enough

Chimera   

Thanks alot for that elaborate reply Geeljire i'm clueless when it comes to RAM/GB so i will keep an eye out on machines that have atleast more than 1/1.5 GB of RAM and 120GB of Harddisk

Ameer   

The only thing you need to worry about is the RAM 500MB, is a bit less powerfull for ordinary user, 60GB Hard Drive is not that bad at all for typical users. For the RAM i think you should look for something with at least 2GB of RAM.

Chimera   

CaanoGeel brother, i need a clean virus-free system to operate a history website and basically browse the web. Windows XP/Vista compatible.

Ameer thanks for your contribution brother!

Chimera   

No what i ment is if i established a history website with atleast 100 pages growing to 600 pages in the future, would that have any effect on that RAM/Harddisk gibberish?(Listen brother you might aswell talk Japanese to me as you will have a higher chance of me understanding it than this Gigabyte talk, go easy on me in your next reply :cool: )

no, provided you use content management tools (conspiracy being the best best man to advice on which) it should make no difference.

All the material for your website + backup is usually stored at the servers - keeping a local copy for anything other than backup is really not required.

p.s. do you actually need a laptop. will this think travel at all. I say this because i have become a fan of mac-mini - will get one as soon as i can convince my spendthrift self of buying a machine.

so really all you want is something to surf the web on and tinker with your website?

Chimera   

Yeah brother it doesn't necessarily have to be a laptop.

I saw a nice ad about those popular netbooks and the price enticed me to go look at one in the store but it's so ridiciously small as if they were made for Hobbits.

again it depends on how you want to use your computer.

I use a netbook - on and off at work, and they are fantastic at their job - very long battery life compared to laptops, light to carry and cheap.

If you have an old monitor, you can buy a netbook with VGA out (this is the a little plug interface - see pic below) and you can plug into a monitor + keyboard and mouse, which gives you a desktop setup like this.

VGA out

34-115-489-14.jpg

77086845.jpg

Oz   

Adam I have come across This or this small laptops and I find them really amazing, they may suit someone who travels/goes here and there, it has a huge memory and the price is oh'kay, but am not quite sure if that's what you were looking for. it's best if you do a research online.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

again it depends on how you want to use your computer.

I use a netbook - on and off at work, and they are fantastic at their job - very long battery life compared to laptops, light to carry and cheap.

If you have an old monitor, you can buy a netbook with VGA out (this is the a little plug interface - see pic below) and you can plug into a monitor + keyboard and mouse, which gives you a desktop setup like this.

VGA out

34-115-489-14.jpg

77086845.jpg

Wow that is really cool, the netbook is back on the table then, i just got to get me one with a VGA out ;)

Oz thanks brother!

Adam-Zayla, no problem. Also, make sure to check the machine has an ethernet port. This is so that you can plug it into a router for a wired internet connection