Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Darned FIREFOX!

I’ve been using Mozilla Firefox for some months now. Love the look and simplicity and no pop-ups.

Last night, I tried to click on a new window and got some option about profiles. I chose the default profile and it said 'in use'. I created another one and it has been set to default since. Now all my bookmarked pages are in the previous profile and I’ve been perusing the options on the browser to see how I could set it back.

Anyone know where this option is? I really need my bookmarked list. Badly.

Haddad   

Before you do this, make sure you close Firefox (File->Quit). Click Start, then Run, and type: firefox.exe -p. If this fails, use the Search (seach all folders) utility of Windows, and search for bookmarks.html.

Edit: If firefox.exe -p doesn't work, firefox.exe -profilemanager should.

Haddad   

Originally posted by 7 0f Nine:

Is there someway/option that lets me switch/create different profiles in firefox?

Yes, once you launch the profile manager, there are such options. A demonstration:

profile.png

Haddad...thats exactly the window I'm talking about... how do I get to it? Where is it located?

Excuse my overwhelming ignorance and reluctance to search.

AF, by who? you? Are you even computer literate? icon_razz.gif

Haddad   

Originally posted by 7 0f Nine:

...thats exactly the window I'm talking about... how do I get to it? Where is it located?

Try to locate this:

xp-run.gif

and just type firefox.exe -p or firefox.exe -profilemanager in the place of msconfig, and click OK.

7, this is a common problem with firefox, but its not major. Firefox keeps a profile for u in which it keeps all your bits like bookmarks and cookies. Now so that you users dont mix up profiles it looks each profile while its in use, and this is the problem, i.e u're profile is locked.

To remove the lock u need to go the place its located in windows i have no idea where that is haddad might be able to better descibe it, but i think in documents and settings under u're user name, u should find

code:

mozillafirefoxxxx.default

where xxx is something like vgftrs.ee basically a random looking set of characters.

Now in that directory u will find a file called "lock", Remove it and restart firefox the way haddad suggested and the choose the profile u want to start. That should return you to your normal setup