Sign in to follow this  
Mafia

What you think of an MBA degree?

Mafia   

Salaams,

I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree BSB and wondering if I should enroll for an MBA programme right after graduation. The two-year programme is very costly, around $60K, but it also leads to both career enhancement and earning power. So, I would like to know if any Nomad is/was in this position, or considering business related advanced degree. Or even if you know anyone who received that degree and how it changed/contributed to their career, and such.

I greatly appreciate all kinds of input.

Pujah   

To answer your questions having MBA has its benefits but it’s totally not worth 60k of student loans. If you can get your employer to pay for it then of course go for it as it will lead to both ‘career enhancement and earning power’. If not I think you should look at the opportunity cost in terms of potential salary that you will be losing those two years that you are in school and weather or not you think MBA will give you more edge in your field of study.

I faced similar dilemma not long ago I wanted to change careers and had to decide whether to get second bachelors or go for masters. My bachelor is in computer science and was shooting for accounting though many can’t see the connections I can somehow see how they relate. For me second bachelors or even getting masters in accounting were not an options because having two degrees that have no relations whatsoever meant I would have to admit to potential employer that I haven’t clue as to what I really want. I ended up enrolling in a graduate school to get my MBA concentrating in accounting that way I can always fall back on my IT degree while pursuing CPA certifications.

Do I think it was worth it , I think time will tell as I am still in my first year so cant help you there

I hope that was of some help and good luck in whatever you decide. smile.gif

Go for it, bro. If you have no life demands after graduation, then by all means go for the MBA. It is still reputable qualification and gives you that edge above the rest. But think of experience, practical work. That is where most of fail and miss out a lot of opportunities. At the end of the day, the bloody employers want to know what you CAN do for them, not what you have learned, though it is still important.

All the best. I hope it was helpful.

Mafia   

Thank you very much for your input in this important decision.

Afrodisiac , thanks sister. you are correct that there is opportunity cost, a big one for going two more years of schooling. However, I have been an intern for a big 4 firm for the past three years, and the more I mature with the company, there more I seem to value MBA designation. As you are probably aware, professional certications like CPA give you a distiction in the accounting profession, but MBA offers a strong, broad management skills, which helps you jump up the corporate ladder, as they say it. Particularly for the company I work for, MBA designation is really a BIG thing.

Good luck walaalo with your education/life.

Geel-Jire, thanks saaxiibow. And, yes practical work is crucial for employers in determining whom to hire or measuring your value to their organization, but having interned for a big 4 company for the past 3 years, I feel I have had enough exposure to the reall-world business. My biggest worry is the $$$, but otherwise I'm readdy. Thanks for the encouragement.

To me, it really makes no sense to indebt yourself with more student loans while you’re still paying for your undergraduate loans. It’s wiser to get a real job and also go back to school and earn your MBA or Masters while you are also working and getting related work experience (here you are also advancing in the corporate ladder) -This way, your Employer is paying for your Masters/MBA and all you have to worry about is your undergraduate loans. If you go for MBA right after school, you will accumulate at about $60,000 + interest at end in student loans and forfeit about $100,000 (2 years salary) + time value of money.

FatB   

3 questions

1. what does MBA stand for?

2. what does BSB stand for?

3. and whats the diff. b/w them

What you think of an MBA degree?

Do it in the right places and you'll earn a shit load of money.

Though i have to be honest i never quite understood what buzzinez people do anyway. Probably why i wont earn a shit load of money !

Mafia   

Caano Geel, sxb, the way I understand is while IT folks spend their time in labs, MBA's play with money! And by the "proximety" rule, you get a lot of it, or atleast master the Money language and make it yourself.

Professor, was that a sarcasm or honest question?

FatB   

^^^sarcasm??? :confused: why do u think that was sarcasm???

just wanted to no the difference b/w the 2.

LANDER   

That is a question I pondered on myself whether to pursue an MBA or not. An MBA can open doors and opportunities for better growth but than again so can other professional qualifications such as CMA, CFA, CA/CPA. These accounting designations open similar doors to MBA's however cost a fraction of the price of obtaining an MBA depending on what school you attend. Caano geel is right though, the school you choose matters quite significantly for an MBA or so I've been told by a professor. Just tonight I saw a headline on tv that read Shaq just received an MBA from University of Phoenix and some folks were quite impressed, but seems to me the University of Phoenix is similar to the devry's and ITT techs of this world. Seems they are all to eager to hand out degrees over the internet and fill peoples e-mail boxes with spam assuring a quick path to a degree, therefore their reputation cannot be that good. If anybody is considering an MBA I good place to start would be the top 100 schools worldwide, since reputation for an MBA often seems to matter most. Also one when applying to these schools, some people are not aware of the "Politicking" that goes on in these Ivey league schools, some of which I've noticed first hand even as an undergrad. That is recruiters often do keep track of applicants and who they are i.e. Who's your father and what business is he in? Those who come from well established families are accepted almost automatically with sub-par marks. Therefore one must keep in mind that good marks or great academic achievement alone will not guarantee you a spot in some of these programs. For a practical example of what I'm talking about just look at good ol' George Wyah Bush :D , man has an MBA from Yale, do you think if George was average Farax he would've even made it into Yale, let alone graduate with an MBA?

by the Mafioso

And by the "proximety" rule, you get a lot of it,

I see where i've been going wrong all this time, then i say we stick close to you :D

Nowadays we’ve got enough people sporting their masters degrees – forget about BA’s cuz that’s like high school diplomas - I would agree that you need a higher degree or rather level to obtain those 9-to-5 mediocre jobs.

Senora   

I've been contemplating the same. What Lander has pointed out is totally on the money: The school you decide to go to plays a huge factor. But Lander, im not sure if you know or not, but many of the top 100 schools have online MBA course's available!

So Harvard, you'd be able to work your 9-5 and take those classes in your convenience.

An MBA is the way to go, nowadays! The average salary of a person with an MBA is about 97,000 a year! :eek: :eek: ..

Mafia   

An MBA is the way to go, nowadays! The average salary of a person with an MBA is about 97,000 a year! ..

Way to go, Supuu!! After I made an extensive reserach on the +'s and -'s of pursuing an MBA, I came to the conclusion that it's definately worth....