Sign in to follow this  
Nazra

Bachelor Of Nursing

Nazra   

Hi, i was wonderin' how many sista's are doing there degree in nursing in here(somaliaonline)???

I know there some bright sista's in da uk, i heard many majoring in nursing.

I'm doing my second year in nursing and i'm only 19yrs old.

I'm hanging on there but i have plans to get married and i was wonderin'would this really effect my studies in the second and third year, how is the third compared to the first year? :confused:

I find my first year the worst and hardest year, especially when studying anatomy and physiology and the drug calculations that you have to get 100 per cent no less...cause you have the life of your patient in ur hands.

Am i just over-reacting??? :(

If you doing ur first, second or third holla and give me tips to survive. ;)

Dear Nazra!

Asalamu aleykum wr. wb. after that, sis I think it's great to see more and more of our women trying hard to develope and conterput to their future. Keep the hard work.

I'm studying Nurse and I'm in my first year, I must say it's very hard and I'm glad to have made it so far. There are few other Somali ladies who are in their second and some third year. After talking to them, they insured me that the first year IS the hardest and it gets easier, but the

Nurse Education is tough enough as it is.

Sis I have three children and on topp of that I'm a single mother studying Nurse fulltime. My point being, U say U are 19 and U want to get married and U are wondering if that will effect your study, correct me if I'm wrong. There is a proverb saying "where there is a will, there is a way" and I take it as if U really want it, U can make it happen to compare it both, but U have to expect it will be tough if U add children to the responsebility.

What I would advice U is to find a man who is understanding and supporting of your goals in life. U are only 19 and U have only two years left, so U can get married but hold on to having children yet. maybe U can have one when U finish the last year and see how it goes, but my advice again is to finish your school, but get married if U find that one man who is and feels like your soulmate, it would be a shame to let him go.

Good luck and I hope I helped somehow.

nadia   

assalaamu caleykum,

sister i am not doing nursing but something similar to nursing i am studying midwifery. I am currently in my 3rd year and will be qualyfing in Aug. insha Allah. Your plan of getting married will not affect your studies insha Allah but having children while your on the course will. Believe me i am talking from experience as i was in exactly the same situation as you are at the moment. I got married in my first year, got my son in my second year of training alxamduLillah(was not really planning to but pressure from the community made me; you know what i am talking about! The usual is she not pregnant yet?). Now in my third year im expecting my second child. But this pregnancy doesn't really bother me as im not due before october insha allah. (morning sickness does though!)

After i had my son i lost the motivation of going back to my training but alxamdu lillah i had really really supportive parents and my husband's encouragement and moral support i could have survived without it.

i must admit it was really hard going back to placement after only 6 weeks postnately but im now happy that i did it.

So my advice to you is that get married if that is what you wanna do. Dont worry about your age coz im 21yrs old myself.But wait having children if you can because you will put more burden onto yourself.

Third year is the easiest as by now you would have familiarised yourself with basicaly everything.

i dont where u live but in the Uk you're just told to get on with everything by yourself and ask questions when needed.

i hope that helps.

W/s

Iffah   

Salaams,

I'm in my third yr, finally! Just about to finish off my pregrad semester A'H...and I still feel so incompetent...blah. Anyways,I don't know about things getting easier as you rise up, because I believe the first year was much easier compared to the second and third, both the class work and the clinical practicum get tougher as you move forward...or at least that's how I see it.

First year A&P was bearable because I had taken OAC (gr 13) Biology & Chemistry back in High School...so that helped a great deal for me. The workload was a bit too much, but the classes itself weren't that difficult, personally speaking of course. But Second yr Pathology was stressful..and by the third yr, I actually began to enjoy my Path classes, because I was finally understanding the work instead of just memorizing to get by. And now, that I'm in my clinical placement, I see all those diseases we studied in the previous semesters, and I'm remembering all that we covered in the nursing theory classes... (about time too!).

the drug calculations that you have to get 100 per cent no less

Don't prude over this too much for you won't be drilled about it when you're working out there like teachers are doing to you guys now. I remember how the teachers used to drive us crazy with the IV drug calculations but coming onto the floor, you would see that the drugs come up prepared and IV's are connected to pumps and you just put in the rate and the amount of solution. They also have Pixis machines that dispense the drugs, kind of like a vending machine for drugs...but you have to make sure the expiry date and the amount taken out is correct... ie, it dispenses 40mg tablet and you need 20mg, cut it in half :D (sometimes that's easier said then done)

And you don't have to put off your marriage plans because you're still in school....I know of couple of women who are doing just fine while having 6 or even more kids. It all depends on how motivated you are...and with the help of Allah, you'll make it through Insha Allah.

Btw, where ever you are.... are there 12 hr shifts? :eek: This is killing now that I'm doing my pregrad, 12hr shifts 2-5d/w....sigh :(

Anyways, I've babbled too much...if you need more tips, I'd be happy to share smile.gif

Salaams.

LadyMo   

Im doin Nursing too Nazra and like urself Im in my second year and 19 as well.

I must agree wiv Ilhaam dat studyin is gettin harder rather than easier as u go along. Althou in terms of placements it gets easier as u gain knowledge ur competence and confidence increases while workin on de ward as u also get a better understandin of why things are carried out the way they are.

I was in a similar situation and really wanted to get married but I thought long and hard, if u look at it, u'll spend de rest of ur life wiv dis person Insha Allah if dat is Allah's will, dere's no point in rushin things (not dat Im sayin u r) If he loves u, which Im sure he does, I bet he'd b willin to wait for u 2 complete ur course.

Im sure u've heard de sayin, 'good things comes to those who wait'.

Marriage, I believe, is a big step, not necessary a hard one to take but a hard one to keep up wiv. Just like any guy can father a child, it takes a man to bring it up. Any girl can enter a marriage but it takes a tough woman to maintain a healthy and happy marriage & DONT 4GET dats on top of studyin a hectic course which nursin sumtimes can seem like, especially when u get home around 8.30am after an almost 12 hrs shift and is expected to sleep when its practically day-imagine dat wiv kids, essays and exams around de corner too!

I believe in de 'where there's will there's a way' theory BUT as a nurse we shud kno addin to de stress factor is not good for us, or de people around us for dat matter. Imagine kids around stressed parents-no good mix.

But I also believe dat once u start a job finish it, before takin up another one, dat way u can ensure quality above anythin!

Gal at de end of de day its ur choice, no1 but u, truly understands ur situation & all we can do is advice u. So I'd advice u 2 think long and hard, using ur brain & not ur heart.

Also walaal dont 4get 2 think of de unexpected.

'Expect de worst and hope for de best'

Therefore u shud prepare for the worst!

Wateva u decide walaalo, weigh up ur options and do wats right for u, good luck.

& let us kno (dats if u want) when ur gona get married. smile.gif