Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

PHONE CALLS OVER THE NET/PC

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Would any of you nomads consider using your PC's

to dial up for phone calls if you were offered the chance. Provided you were given a nice head set.

Imagine having the ability to make any calls

local or long distance via your PC.

What do you think?

Yeah i rememember few years ago, i used to call all over the globe with that free pc thingy...walaahi it saved us bunch of money...but the down side of it was= everytime i wanted to chat with my friends msn or yahoo, my moms would be like 'call habal habal' for me and am like damn it...why did they come up with this ****** pc calling thing lol

Anywho...i wont mind callin up people if its free..shot -what more of a reason do i need.

Software Based Internet Phone and PC to Phone Systems

Before you begin, you will need a PC with a full duplex sound card, a set of speakers and a microphone. Some people find it useful to buy a set of light weight headphones with a microphone attached similar to those used by switchboard operators.

You have a choice of:- downloadable software, browser based internet telephony and private or virtual private network based systems.

Net2Phone and DeltaThree are examples of downloadable software.

Dialpad and Internet Phone (now Truly Global) are examples of browser based software.

There are a number of network based systems available which are either privately owned and traded or are available through various ISPs on a rental/lease basis. The pages here are really for the smaller user so we haven't devoted time to network based telephone/PC systems. Should you require more information please mail us at freecalls@pc-internet-2-phone-voip.com

You visit one of the VOIP Supplier's websites. You will have to register as a user. If you go the downloadable route, you will have to download their proprietary software. This is usually free.

Extract the software and install it on your computer. It is normally self extracting.

The software will place a console on your PC screen with clickable buttons. The console looks exactly like a conventional phone dialpad with two or three additional buttons.

Providers often give you an experimental destination number such as their toll free service number to try out the software for free.

You will be asked to register and most likely have to pay a deposit against future usage. This varies from around $8.00 to $25.00 depending on the service provider. The java based ones are often free.

In return you will be given an account number/login name and a pin.

Using the console you simply dial the number you want anywhere in the world. (You will need to be connected to the internet and online at the time).

Simplistically, the software makes use of the internet to transmit your message to the closest phone exchange to the destination of your call. Alternatively it will connect you to a PC anywhere in the world where your message is decoded.

When the call reaches this exchange it leaves the "internet" and goes back into analogue form and ends up at your destination caller's phone.

The destination caller merely picks up his or her regular telephone and talks to you in the regular fashion. Alternatively the message reaches the destination PC.

You will hear the person you called over your PC speakers and you will have to talk into the microphone to respond to them.

Your Internet Phone service provider will keep track of the long distance calls you make and reduce your deposit by the amount of the call. Obviously there is no charge for a free call!

When your deposit is zero you will have to recharge it before you make further calls. The software typically warns you that your resource is low.

You can improve the quality of your transmission and reception by installing a VOIP enhancement card in your PC. Click here to review a good example of a VOIP enhancement card. This card enhances the voice transmission by using high compression technology which improves speed and reduces echo.

Remember to factor in the cost of your internet connection as you still have to pay for this.

http://www.pc-internet-2-phone-voip.com/PC_to_phone.html

JIDAAWY   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Imagine having the ability to make any calls

local or long distance via your PC.

What do you think?

Good morning saxib :D