Sign in to follow this  
Animal Farm

Old Age (Greeks Religion) :::: Somalia’s Genius Problem

Old Age (Greeks & Religion) :::: Somalia’s Genius Problem

[ this is my opinion, its not a fact, get it right … YuuuuuUUUUuuPPPP ]

The Greek philosophers were all atheists; they were more in tuned with individualism and governance than religion per se. They cared more about the self than the collective assembly. If you look at Plato’s imaginary city in the republic you’ll find that he stressed more on altering human nature through nurture than religion teachings. These writers were not men of religion they cared more about reason and rationale than the concept of god. However, they were more concerned about reshaping human nature and reasoning with action and reactions. I’d say they were neither Muslim nor Christians. Basically, if you look at atheists today and how they believe in science and reason, they too believed in similar theories. For example if you look at Nietzsche, who sad god was dead. To demonstrate further that intellectual’s tent to overdraft their own horizons, they get caught up in their own truths (created through theories driven by isolation/illusion) that they forget the bigger picture, because they want to disproof the norm of things. I cannot recall which writer or for that matter pre-enlightenment impressionist said god is in the details, ironically.

They were more interested in individual rights. Even today, its really hard to see people who believe in things, were in the age of the over-genius dilemma.

‘The words we use shape the way we think. "Genius" has become too easy a word for us to say. The parallel here may in fact be addiction rather than religion: as a culture, we have become increasingly addicted to the idea of genius, so we are dependent on it for a certain kind of emulative high, an intoxication with the superlative. Nowadays it takes more and more genius, or more and more geniuses, to satisfy our craving. It may be time to go cold turkey for a while, to swear off the genius model to represent our highest aspirations for intellectual or artistic innovation. If we remind ourselves that what is really at stake is creativity and invention; if we can learn to separate the power of ideas from that of personality; then perhaps we will be less dazzled by the light of celebrity and less distracted by attempts to lionize the genius as a high-culture hero—as essence rather than force. It's not just another word that we need; it's another way of thinking about thinking.’ http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/12/garber.htm

The fact of the matter is that, the Greek philosophers were more interested in their celebrity stardom than religion itself. Today, if more than anything they have corrupted the way we think and conduct ourselves. Ever since we’ve surpassed the enlightenment epoch, we have changed the course of man. We have abandoned religion in its entirety. The problem is now, individualism, and the blasé of post-modernism echoing the establishments of man, and discrediting Allah.

For those who said they have contributed to their thinking and thoughts, you must be careful brothers/sisters ; these men were not men of god. Today, no one has influence over anyone, there’s no such thing as the impressionable mind anymore. Were’ in an age of self-destiny, neo-liberalism, individualism and actually the populace makes it clear that a mind is not a terrible thing to waste. AS the new generation calls, it’s only a temporary unconsciousness and temporary moments, which demand million thoughts where everyone is competing to project their two cents, logically and coherently as possible.

Basically, like the Greek philosophers, intellectualism makes you question things, and if the answers you get are not satisfactory to your comprehension, then you lose path. Sometimes things are best left unanswered. The Greeks were not religious at all. They condoned to many sins that Islam condemns. I have one advice to philosophy readers, you actually think your expanding your mind when you read such texts, but in fact your narrowing your believe. It’s more psychological than you think. Intellectualism isolates you, you end up looking down on people, because you think they might be ****** or they lack the intellectual capacity to understand your perspective.

YOUR ****** IF YOU FOLLOW ANOTHER MANS THEORY, YOUR ****** IF YOU FORGET GOD, YOUR ****** IF YOU THINK YOUR SMART, YOUR ****** IF YOU THINK MONEY IS LIFE, AND YOUR ****** IF YOU DISRESPECT OTHERS BECAUSE OF THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES, YOUR ****** IF YOU JUDGE, AND YOUR ****** IF FORGET YOUR CULTURE AND ROOTS

I apologize for my long response, I am on another level right now, you could say I am not conscious of my surroundings at the moment; I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.

Nur   

Animal Farm

Very interesting reading indeed! Do not apologise, your insights refelect the words of one of the greatest Islamic thinkers ( Ibnu Taymia's time, I can not recall his name0) This thinker, who went very deep in the science of logic or as you call it "intellectualism", repented at the end of his life from indulging in mental acrobatics, saying his famous word " I wish i die with as simple a belief as that of old ladies"

I, myself have read very challenging books on philosophy, but I've never found peace except in Quraan and Sunnah.

"Alhamdulillah alladii hadaanaa li hadaa, wa maa kunnaa li nahtadii lowlaa an hadaanaa Allah"

All Praise to Allah who has guided us to this ( faith) while we were not on the right track if it was not for Allah's guidance"

Nur