Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Wey Somaliland! What happened?

Gabbal   

Scuffles mar opening of Somaliland parliament

HARGEYSA, 1 Dec 2005 (IRIN) - The official opening of the newly elected parliament in the self-declared republic of Somaliland on Tuesday was marred by student demonstrations and scuffles by members of parliament, witnesses said.

Hundreds of secondary school students took to the streets in Hargeysa, Somaliland's capital, protesting the alleged killing by police of a student from Farah Omar Secondary School in the city on Monday night.

They threw stones at the police, who responded by firing into the air to disperse the protesters. A number of students were arrested.

Despite the disturbances, the newly elected MPs took their oath of office. Somaliland's President Dahir Rayalle Kahin chose Mohamed Abid Dheere, the oldest member from the ruling party, to chair the opening session.

A skirmish broke out when the 48 members of the opposition objected to the temporary chairman's decision to adjourn the session after the opening ceremony.

Armed policemen stormed parliament, turned off the microphones and ordered everyone to leave. A brawl ensued, with MPs hurling chairs at each other and at the police and exchanging blows.

Policemen whipped reporters and barred them from taking pictures or TV footage of the drama. Some cameras were damaged. Two reporters were briefly detained, and police have been accused of confiscating some equipment.

Opposition members met afterwards and elected Abdirahman Mohamed from the Justice and Welfare party as their speaker and Abdiaziz Samalle and Bashe Mohamed from Kulmiye (Solidarity) party as the first and second deputy speakers respectively.

"The minimum number required in the house for the election of the speaker is 42. We (the opposition) were 48 and conducted the election legally. I welcome our colleagues from the ruling party to join in carrying out our business in parliament, and I will perform my duties according to the law," said the newly elected speaker.

The temporary chairman of parliament, however, said no legitimate elections had been held.

"There was no election. What happened today was null and void and illegal. The election of the speaker will be conducted on Saturday as I suggested," said Dheere.

"I adjourned the election because the atmosphere today was not good. Students were rioting near the parliament. I believe the riots were planned by the opposition, and tension in Hargeysa was high," he claimed.

Somaliland voters went to the polls on 29 September to elect the 82 members of the region's parliament.

The territory in northwestern Somalia declared its unilateral independence from the rest of Somalia in May 1991, following the collapse of the administration of former President Siyad Barre.

It has, however, not been internationally recognised as a sovereign state.

[ENDS]

Source: IRIN, Dec 01, 2005

RedSea   

Salamu calaykum,

I can only say that they are bunch of self interest politicians who go around the country telling the people how much they will change the country and then when they are voted into office they just let their big fat belly loose and sit on their behind. Do you really think the government built all the beautifull houses in Somaliland cities? no I don't think so, the politicians have done nothing except left themselves alone for little bit. Somaliland's success should all be credited to the people. The latest wresling match in the parliament is no surprise to me at all, none of them can qualify to being good and credible leader. They are all bunch of losers, they sickened me. Because if they cared why can't they just fix the roads in the capital at least , and build more hospitals. So much for the energy the people of Somaliland spent on those self considered grown ups who can't even get their acts straight and that people actually trusted them to be role models, what a shame this brings.

Instead of carrying out their promises they are quick to break it. I am wondering where is the respect that the people who voted for them deserve? it's like they put their best face forth and later on bring out their dark deeds out. I have never trusted a politician and neither should any other somali trust a politician. I don't expect them to do any good, I would just like to see them just once act like grown ups. OH I am disgusted with this. :mad: