Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

BUYING THE WAR

Khalaf   

Somalis are Muslims no doubt and Islam can never be dead, but its not alive either in the Somali community the way it should be. One needs only to look at the majority of Somalis and their obsession with waxa la yiri ninyahow, war saan ba yiri sxbow....how topics such as the disputes over Kismaayo and clan conflicts produce 100 replies or more, but over there at Sh. Nurs corner on the Islamic section on aqeedah and the deen not as much passion from the Somali Muslims, be here or on da streets wa isku miid.....they say before one can walk they must crawl and before one can run they must walk.......that is why Somalia and its people need to be changed, and change is gradual from within ground up, until then corruption will continue not because fault of corrupt leaders and their external allies but the society itself is corrupt namean.

Lake   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

how topics such as the disputes over Kismaayo and clan conflicts produce 100 replies or more, but over there at Sh. Nurs corner on the Islamic section on aqeedah and the deen not as much passion from the Somali Muslims,

Sheik Nur calls out the man you support Yey as a traitor. What do you have to say to that?

Khalaf   

^^^^I didnt think i supported ina Yeey, but u and others are keen in allying me with odayga fine, i understand it has more to do with your clanish mindsets. Simple Answer to ur question yaa Lake about odayga.....Abduallahi Yusuf was elected in Kenya in 2004 in a long process by somalis including representives from Mogdisho, I didnt elect him, and then refuse him namean.

Baashi   

ThePoint, I’m not sure I understand what we are discussing here. Federalism is not an issue with me. It’s done. TFG is supposed to be managing federated regional autonomies before it made fighting terrorism and al-qeada (uephamism of its opposition) its numero uno goal. The drafted constitution has not been ratified. This framework is and remains to be a proposal drafted by a congress presided by armed strongmen met in a foreign capital. In any event, federalism is not an issue at this point of time; it will soon be...but not now.

At issue is TFG’s legitimacy in some quarters. The way many Somalis see it is this TFG is an imposed entity. Its friend happen to be a known historical rival of the Somalia that once existed. Given the recent events, TFG itself has become a part of the conflict. It is no secret that this TFG put all its eggs in the basket labeled “the only feasible way forward is to use any means necessary to impose order”. That approach could work for awhile but it won’t solve the long standing core issues that pitted homogeneous Muslims against each other in more than 16 years.

The other point is that this plan (security plan) ties TFG’s hands, compromises its independence, and fuels the suspicion of the real motive of Ethiopian and Neocon coalition that supported the TFG aggression (criminal given the mounting civilian casualties its security plan brought about). Granted the other side has a hand in all of this and has its share of responsibility in what transpired during the Benadir standoff.

The most important thins is TFG will need foreign help for long time to come and that stems from the fact that it doesn’t have the legitimacy required to manage political transition of conflict-ridden polity in which TFG itself is a faction of the warring parties.

Somalia’s problems are many and very difficult ones at that. There are no easy answers that I can’t think of. The only way forward is to insist on grand reconciliation gathering. However imperfect, this is the only way in my opinion that other side can have a level plane field without firing a shot.

I say this because this TFG will amass military hardware and through state power reward or bribe publicly known personalities without really addressing issue that matter the most: 1) real estate (land, farms, etc) 2) the end of its mandate 3) genuine reconciliation among warring clans 4) hard look on the constitution draft 5) Somaliland/Puntland question (border demarcation is needed even if you assume they are regional autonomies willing to be part of Federal Somalia 6) the role of Islamists in the political process 7) 4.5 formula 8) Leadership procession (matters great deal) and etc.

At issue is TFG’s legitimacy in some quarters.
The way many Somalis sees it is this TFG is an imposed entity. Its friends happen to be a known historical rival of the Somalia that once existed. Given the recent events, TFG itself has become a part of the conflict. It is no secret that this TFG put all its eggs in the basket labeled “the only feasible way forward is to use any means necessary to impose order”. That approach could work for awhile but it won’t solve the long standing core issues that pitted homogeneous Muslims against each other in more than 16 years.

I believe the Ethopians and Americans have successed in just sprikling enough water to sow the seededs for further divisions within the differen somali group "leaders" for years to come.

The TFG's Position in Practise might not be an Issue that can be tackled given it's Backer's.

However as you quite rightly point out, it will be the stern challanges of which they are many and how the tackle these which will either negate the brutal begining. Thats assuming that they govern well allow desient within the ranks, arent dictated to by the Americans and ethopians etc etc.

In Reality i believe that its Imposition on the Somali's after a war with which the sided with the Countries Arch emeny and its involvement in the genocide on the population of Mogadisho its lack of leader's with strength vision and a government composing of old faces, criminals and warlords alike will mean that they will only bring more bloodshed to the population and plunge somali's further down the road towards oblivion.