Sign in to follow this  
Warrior of Light

Any Islamic art lovers, around ?

The Islamic Works of Art Museum titled, "Discover Islamic Art," on the Internet and constituted by the collective works of 14 countries and 17 museums from Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, can be visited at "www.discoverislamicart.org" as of 9 December.

In a news conference, Eva Schubert, the founder and president of the Museum With No Frontiers (MWNF) and the coordinator of the visual exhibition, said 1,235 artistic and architectural works will be introduced through photos and detailed explanations.

There will also be artistic and architectural works from Egypt, Algeria, Germany, Britain, Italy, Jordan, Morocco, Palestinian Authority, Portuguese, Spain, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia, and Turkey, in the museum.

source

Haneefah   

That's just fantastic. I have great appreciation for North African art; from architecture to calligraphy to interior design. :cool:

Thanks.

S.O.S   

Sister WoL , jazak-Allahu khayran for the information you’ve provided for us, and we’ll insha-Allah pay close attention to it in due time.

This subject is more complicated than it sounds for many reasons, the first one of which is the most important, is also the most controversial and most difficult of any aspect of Islamic art to come into terms with. It goes directly in the heart of the subject; namely, what is Islamic art?

Actually, it is not very difficult for me or anyone of us here to define Islamic art, but it is (whether implicit or explicit) to non-muslims to come up with a coherent form of Islamic art. Their problem lies in “what is Islamic †rather than “what is art †and the problem is not coincidence! Every exhibition you visit in the western world depicting Islamic culture and art, you’ll find yourself to be journeying through an alien mindset (the collective host culture, but for practical reasons let’s assume that of the compiler’s) which creatively and constantly disowns Islam as religion, and de facto prime mover/deterrent, from its art and culture. It is something you’ll be confronted with, but only when you pay attention to the purposive ad hominem intention in the grand design of the collection on one hand, and the skilful presentation thereof which reduces the art objects to limited (yet at times sensational/emotional) dimensions without a meaningful message.

We Muslims accept that one cannot refer all arts in the Muslim world as Islamic in origin (originality in the sense as inspired by Islamic belief/quality), just as we cannot say everything in the Muslim world is Islamic. By creating doubts in the viability of that definition, as opponents maintain that, otherwise many art works will be left out and unclassified, and thus greedily make use of freedoms which go against Islamic spirit and denies Islam its contents, only to reduce to an adjective word and hence divorce the religious message beyond and from formational objects.

Judging by the funding bodies, I’m not particularly jumping up and down in excitement thereof, but only hope for the best.

Brother Muhammad writes:

I'm sure brother Shams-udin and others will thank you aswell!

Our brother is telepathically gifted? :confused:

Shams-ud-Din

Muhammad   

Originally posted by Shams-ud-Din:

quote:

Brother Muhammad writes:

I'm sure brother Shams-udin and others will thank you aswell!

Our brother is telepathically gifted? :confused:

Shams-ud-Din
No bro, just a lover of honey. :D

Guji - to reload

S.O.S   

Brother Muhammad,

Your love for honey doesn't explain the apparent sharpness of your mind, because I love honey too and I still lack your skilful touch :confused:

BTW are your familiar with a bird specie we used to call "shimbir-malab" back in the "miyyi"?????

Muhammad   

shimbir malab?

I recall one bird that the nomads believed, if you see it, there is honey near. perhaps it also ate honey. I once saw it myself, we saw the bird, making a intersting sound and flying back and forth in an area, and when we searched the area, we found a hive near by.

I'm not sure if it is the same bird.

S.O.S   

Brother Mohammad,

Yeah! You’re correct! I didn’t know you were a true geel-jire who still recalls the miyyi during his nomadic lifetime! smile.gif

That bird is known to us as shimbir-mala , and you should count yourself as a lucky man for having the chance to see one of these beautiful creatures, having heard their beautifully distinctive songs and finally, because of it, you could find one of the most beneficial and best tasting foods on earth! Not many people (including me) have had that chance.

And yes, it too loves honey and also benefits it from, but it calls others to benefit even more so, it calls with action and beautiful sounds which combine to orientation, direction and movement to relative guidance towards the honey.

Therefore my brother, if a an unconscious bird can guide an intelligent beings like us to the sweetness of honey, using only two wings accompanied by style and a combination of harmonically orchestrated sounds with relative ease, why can’t we -far superior to the bird in intelligence and conscious- guide the same intelligent beings to the way of Allah, to the sweetness of faith and the reward of paradise using only the Qur’aan and Sunnah (for our benefit)?

I guess I’m missing something here, I need to think more and try to learn whatever lessons I could learn.

Muhammad   

jum'ah mubaarak

Akhi, my nomadic years are far more fresh and clear in my mind than those I've spent in the cities. I'm not sure whether it is due to my passion for nature orthe clarity of the miyyi. I can still picture the bird flying back and forth, singing it's hypnotic melodies.

your conclusion requires further contemplation and reflection.

malaha waxaaynu la'nahay baalalka iyo codka macaan ee shimbirtaas Illaah ku manaystay.

^^

Salaam,

Do they not observe the birds above them, spreading their wings and folding them in? None can uphold them except ((Allah)) Most Gracious: Truly ((Allah)) Most Gracious: Truly it is He that watches over all things.

Muhammad   

34207330486.gif

waxaa la yiri xusuustu waa silsilad isku wada xidhan, adna waxaad i xusuusisay Aayadan ee bal ila fiiri codka macaan oo layna ka rabo;

16_125.gif

Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance.

Sura 16 - Ayat 125

An-Nahl (The Bee) <- waad u jeedaa malabkii baynu ku soo noqonay!

audioanim.gif (Abdul Baset)