Sign in to follow this  
RedSea

Simon Reeves on his trip to Somaliland.

RedSea   

Simon reveals airport gun battle horror

By KIERAN MEEKE - Sunday, September 20, 2009

Writer and broadcaster Simon Reeve, 37, has hosted TV travel epics Holidays In The Danger Zone, Tropic Of Capricorn, Equator and Places That Don't Exist. A season comprising episodes from the four shows starts tonight on digital TV channel Eden

You like obscure places, don’t you?

There’s a group of people who are looking for experiences to expand their minds, rather than just giving them a tan. You quickly forget the tan, but somewhere such as Georgia or Syria you will remember for the rest of your life.

Do you worry about spoiling places by opening them up to mass tourism?

Look at Madagascar – they only get a few thousand British tourists every year. I’ve been banging on about how it’s the most amazing place on the planet for a while and there’s been no noticeable increase in visitors. Very few people have been to those places and I can’t see them being deluged by package tourism. And who am I to say package tourism is a bad thing? What we have seen in the past few decades is the democratisation of travel. People from families such as mine, who would never have had the chance to go abroad before, could go to Spain or Portugal. Package holidays can be a good thing: they pay for national parks, jobs and livelihoods.

When was the golden age of travel?

For normal folk like me, this is. We have opportunities to travel that generations to come will be appalled and in awe of: that we did it, sometimes without thinking of the consequences. In terms of finding new places, the [time of the] great Victorian explorers – going to places that were still gaps in the maps. There are very few wildernesses left. In Africa, most of the giant parks there are glorified safari parks.

How would you have made out as a Victorian explorer?

Absolutely hopeless. Wearing that itchy tweed and climbing up Everest, or travelling into the depths of the jungle carrying a pith helmet or a grand piano? Being away from home for years on end? The wife would have left you and got married and had kids… I mean, it’s just not for me.

Where do you still want to go?

Russia. I’ve been to all the former Soviet republics, but never Russia. Also Canada and Mali.

Generations to come will be appalled that we took opportunities to travel without thinking of the consequences

Where do you want to go back to?

Somaliland, in the Horn of Africa. It’s one of the most amazing places I’ve been to because the people there have built it up after a devastating civil war. It’s the democratic, stable half-brother to Somalia, which is a chaotic hellhole. I was nearly electrocuted in Mogadishu, I had to be protected by 12 mercenaries. Then I went to Somaliland, which has tourism and traffic lights but no country in the world recognises it. I also enjoyed Paraguay: it’s at the end of the world and there were cannibals there until a few decades ago. That’s why I love it.

Any travel tips?

Wear a seat belt, eat the local yoghurt, get the bugs in your system. And don’t worry: people are fantastically welcoming everywhere. Go and visit those far-flung places and tell people about them when you come back.

What is the world’s worst airport?

In Mogadishu, there was a gun battle going on for control of the airfield when we flew in. Nobody else was getting off [the ground] apart from me and my BBC crew, and this very burly Russian pilot and his co-pilot toasted us with vodka – never a good sign – and just laughed at us, slightly hysterically. :D

Which country should we watch out for in the future?

Turkey is going to surprise people. Istanbul is my favourite city in the world outside Britain. You’ve got graffiti in the Hagia Sophia – one of the most amazing buildings in history – written by the Vikings in 900AD. Politically it is exciting – what’s happening there will go some way towards determining the future of Islam. And it’s an economic powerhouse: so much of what we use here is made in China or Turkey.

It’s one of the most amazing places I’ve been to because the people there have built it up after a devastating civil war. It’s the democratic, stable half-brother to Somalia, which is a chaotic hellhole. I was nearly electrocuted in Mogadishu, I had to be protected by 12 mercenaries. Then I went to Somaliland, which has tourism and traffic lights but no country in the world recognises it.

This is saxiix miyaa. One has to write a paragraph like that almost every article that deals about Waqooyiga. Tii ama kii ka qoraba meeshaas has to mention the unavoidable 'wretched, poor, violent-prone, uncivilized, undemocratic brother' next door.

Does one make feel good about that? My brother is miserable, I feel good. My brother is violent, I feel peaceful? My brother is ugly, I feel quruxloow?

War aniga i aqoonsada, war aniga i arka, war huu, haa, la ima arko miyaa, la iima jeedo miyaa. I did this, I've done that. I've followed whatever you wanted to follow me, but still you are infatuated with, you are fascinated by my brother, the wretched, turbulent, barbarian one.

Even in basic shukaansi, qof saas laguma shukaansado. One speaks about himself, not to speak ill of others to make, look good of himself. That is insecure.

RedSea   

So it seems since both regions are Somalis and are or have been in the past the SOMALI REPUBLIC, thus drawing a contrast between them is quite understandable. Now as you can see I didn't highlight that part, hence not really gloating over it. As far as the author goes, he is only writing what he saw.

One thing I never understood is, can one country not have good parts and bad? Like why pretend it's impossible, you have good parts and bad parts of the US or UK. Why not highlight that Mogadishu with all it's recent issues is the same country as Hargaysa with it's recent success? Lazy reporting really, most of them just plagarise the last person who went there.

RedSea   

A country CAN have a good and bad parts, However our case is different, much different. The southern Somalia is beyond bad, it's human tragic far worse than Dar fur according to experts. Then you have other areas where life is calm and quite. It's almost strange to see supposedly 1 country in which there are two radically different situations. It's compelling really! The outsiders are drawn to that experience. The experience to land in Somalia's capital only to find themselves pinned down right outta the gate after short while travel Northward in that same country only to find peace and tranquility reign in Somaliland. off course you'd write the same had you been an outsider who was an alien who only heard of Somalia's dreadful South only to stumble across little place called Somaliland.

NASSIR   

Mudane,"Somaliland" should follow the footsteps of Puntland. The latter enjoys greater autonomy and has its eyes on the rich lands of Shabelle and Juba rivers. A united Somalia under a federal framework might turn Somalia into an economic powerhouse. The federal government will deal with the security of the nation from external threats while fulfilling our international obligations, jointly manage and tap our natural resources, regulate the public health, civil aviation, infrastructure, the financial system and the marketplace. The states pass tax laws on tourism, industrial development, energy, agriculture and manage tax revenues and spend on transportation, electricity, water, housing and education.

Who is thwarting us from realizing this great potential?

The Interview of this British fellow was in the Free London Metro yesterday. I read it, and when I saw that bit, where he said, 'the only place I would like to go back to was Somaliland', I knew that a hardline Somalilander would put it up here to say look this white fellow has been to Hargeisa and would even like to go back! Haha!

By all means, be proud of your region/where you've come from, but like MMA said, there's no pride in the plight of your brother next door. I have said it before, and I will say it again, I'm delighted and happy for the Waqooyi Galbeed acheivement in law and order and long may it continue, BUT broader perspective is really important here. Even your GAAL neighbour doesn't deserve this sort of treatment. You wouldn't gloat over their plight. The situation in the south of Somalia is/should be a pain that we all feel deeply and should be hoping beyond that Allah brings back peace and stability for the children, mothers, elders, and the disabled who have to suffer everyday through the hardship.

RedSea   

Originally posted by NASSIR:

Mudane,"Somaliland" should follow the footsteps of Puntland. The latter enjoys greater autonomy and has its eyes on the rich lands of Shabelle and Juba rivers. A united Somalia under a federal framework might turn Somalia into an economic powerhouse. The federal government will deal with the security of the nation from external threats while fulfilling our international obligations, jointly manage and tap our natural resources, regulate the public health, civil aviation, infrastructure, the financial system and the marketplace. The states pass tax laws on tourism, industrial development, energy, agriculture and manage tax revenues and spend on transportation, electricity, water, housing and education.

Who is thwarting us from realizing this great potential?

I dont know what Puntland has that Somaliland doesn't have. Besides that I think there is always a possibility that anything could be worked out if there is mutual respect and platform for all Somalis. Where we stand today, federal Somali states are a long shot because(and I don't want to offend or point fingers here), but the South is the Achilles heels of the Somali people. There are many elements that need to fall into place for Somaliland to ponder on such idea. What is holding us from realizing the dream of powerful, autonomous yet united federal states? well, again it's a question that needs to be dealt with in details. But I can tell you that a lot of things have to CHANGE. The question I always myself is federal automous states are great idea, but are somalis capable of implementing them?!

Dhagax Tuur,

You've read the article before then right? Now give others the chance to read and know. Again, I thought I got it out of the way to begin that I had no intent to gload in the misery and suffering of fellow Muslims and Somalis. The piece is harmless whereby the author interestingly mentions MANY countries besides Somalia/somaliland. The fact that it jumped at him when asked 'places he would visit again' is worth noting. The thought that "Somaliland gains or enjoys suffering of others" is insanely laughable. Why even make such silly counterproductive argument? it's quite repetitive statement that comes back here often and quite honestly that statement couldn't be any further from the truth. fact is Somaliland cares about Somalia as much as Somalia cares about Somaliland. It's two street, no blaming one or the other.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Dhagax-Tuur:

I knew that a hardline Somalilander would put it up here to say look this white fellow has been to Hargeisa and would even like to go back! Haha!

The funny part here is you're are in the whitest of white countries and you seem to be enjoying yourself? ahah now that is funny. I copy/pasted his article out of mere interest, not because he is white. But because I know Somalis such as yourself enjoy and would rather read and comprehend the input of foreign than an opinion of a Somali. Had I said the same thing along the lines I would be getting threatened or slandered i.e I'm high on Khat, using the misery of others as PR tool. bla bla :rolleyes:

Originally posted by NASSIR:

Mudane,"Somaliland" should follow the footsteps of Puntland.

The first is a country and the later is a region within Somalia.

Thank you for your concern though ,,,

But because I know Somalis such as yourself enjoy and would rather read and comprehend the input of foreign than an opinion of a Somali.

That's generalisation, sxb. Not all Somalis see the white mens' words as gospel. I couldn't care what he said about Somalia or Somaliland. I would rather that they don't visit as the greater number of them carry with them an ulterior motives when they visit muslim lands. I don't care a bit at all. But this regionalisation mentality of Somalis is sick and I hate it.

Cowke   

Somaliland is a hell hole according to horn of africa professor not TOURIST but PROFESSOR Prof. Dr. Muhammad Shamsaddin Megalommatis.

Here is snippet of what he has to say regarding somaliland.

Chaos and anarchy is the endemic scenery throughout the secessionist and futureless pseudo-state of Somaliland

Source: http://www.buzzle.co m/articles/corrupt-s omaliland-somalia-mo st-chaotic-spot-part -iii-us16-million-eu ro-bribery-of-the-gu urti.html

There are other pro somaliland people who actually visited somaliland and this what they have to say.

I recently returned from a visit to Somaliland July 16-25 and have witnessed a country that�s under total misery and poverty.� The economy of the country is nonexistent due to unemployment and lack of government help.� The unemployment rate is staggering at 95% with no jobs available even for those who have somehow managed to secure a secondary or higher education.� There is so much misery and poverty among the people because there is no single industry in the country that will increase the livelihood of the Somaliland people.� Although Berbera port has adequate facilities to load and unload all ships that would anchor there, the tariffs levied on ships and boats coming into Berbera have become prohibitively extreme leading to the death of shipping and related commerce. This present government has made the Somaliland ports into ghost towns and the dangerous result is that business in Somaliland is dying a slow and painful death.� Even though the people are trying to bring businesses into the country, the majority of the people have no purchasing power and the goods that has been imported languish on store shelves.� If measures are not taken soon to reverse this, it will become irreversible.

Source: http://www.somalilan d.org/archives/?ID=0 6080204

I can list thousands of more reviews of somaliland from credible academia, intelligence organizations and also respected united nation studies.

The point of my argument is. If 1 foreigner liked somaliland, there is 1000 who didn't like it and call it a chaotic hell hole.

So who will you believe? that 1 lone opinion or the majority? I prefer to listen to the majority.

:D