Sign in to follow this  
Xargaga

Bittersweet independence By Dahir Riyale Kahin:Washingtontimes

Xargaga   

Bittersweet independence By Dahir Riyale Kahin:Washingtontimes

On this day 47 years ago, the Union Jack came down on a remote corner of Africa and the former protectorate of British Somaliland, with its capital in Hargeisa, gained independence.

It was a day of celebration. Freedom had been granted without a fight; no insurgency like Kenya's Mau Mau or civil war as happened in Zimbabwe. Alas, all that and worse would follow, but in 1960, Somaliland was seen as a place of promise, where races, religions and people from different backgrounds got on well. Indeed, many of the British civil servants were sad to leave and some stayed on as welcome members of our new republic.

A week later, we entered into voluntary union with the former Italian Somaliland to the south, creating Somalia with its capital in Mogadishu, but today the old boundaries are back and, while we can't undo the past, we must learn from it.

So, please, allow me a few paragraphs while I chronicle what happened, because those events have shaped the way I and my people view the present.

Somalia got off to a good start, but the 1960s and 1970s were a tough time for democracy and all too soon we found ourselves ruled by a military dictator.

One by one, our freedoms disappeared. Media fell under state control; opposition parties were banned; critics vanished in the night and those who came back were scarred by torture. English — our second language in the North — was spurned by the Italian-speaking south; all power went to Mogadishu and, by the 1980s, Somaliland had became a poor relation with run-down schools, little investment and no say in how the country was run.

In 1985, the North known today as the Republic of Somaliland sought to regain its independence and so began a war of liberation. The late dictator Siad Barre, who ruled Somalia at the time, responded by bombing whole towns and villages and, when that did not turn the people of Somaliland, his army lined up thousands of civilians along the banks of the Maroodijeex river that flows through Hargeisa and opened fire on them with machine guns. The skeletons are still there, just below the sand. When Barre was overthrown in 1991, Somalia fell into chaos. The United States tried to help and President Clinton sent troops, but it was too little, too late. Unwilling to be trapped in a failed state, the former British Somaliland retook its independence on May 18, 1991, and, 16 years on, the peace and prosperity we had hoped for in 1960 is back on track.

Historically, our marriage with the South wasn't that long when you think of countries like Czechoslovakia, which lasted almost a century before creating the Czech and Slovak republics. But like the nations of Eastern Europe that split from the Soviet Union, or Eritrea in its break from Ethiopia, the divorce is permanent and this is the key to understanding Somaliland.

If the South — still known as Somalia — underwent a miracle and became as stable as Botswana, as prosperous as Singapore and as democratic as South Africa, we would not go back into union. The two countries might work closely together, like the United States and Canada, but our independence will never be on the table.

This is not rhetoric. In a 2001 we held a referendum on the subject in which almost a million people voted; 97 percent endorsed the split. We were separate for 80 years as a British protectorate, gained our independence with the Queen's signature on it, and have been on our own again for almost two decades. What remains is for the world to recognize our legal status as they did in 1960. This process requires a few robust states to follow up on the positive African Union 2005 fact-finding report on Somaliland. Rwanda and Ghana appear to be leading by example.

I believe that day is not far off, but when it happens there will be no lowering of flags, just an acceptance of history: that at midnight on 26 June 1960, Somaliland joined the family of nations as a free country in charge of its destiny. And that's how we remain, with the bonus that in 2007 we have a real democracy and the kind of peace and prosperity that offers hope in a region where the even the word has long been out of use. That, surely, is cause for celebration.

Dahir Riyale Kahin is president of the Republic of Somaliland.

Source Washingtontimes

Freedom had been granted without a fight; no insurgency like Kenya's Mau Mau or civil war as happened in Zimbabwe.

The ultimate misinformation and misleading #1. So, Md. Riyaale, Sayidka [Eebba ha u naxariistee] was fighting against some walls, aha? And his jihaad took place in Saambiya miyaa?

omaliland was seen as a place of promise, where races, religions and people from different backgrounds got on well.

Misinformation #2. There were no different races and religions in Soomaaliya. Not even a significant ethnic issues, since almost all were Soomaalis by ethnicity.

In
, the North known today as the Republic of Somaliland
sought to regain its independence
and so began a war of liberation.

MIsinformation #3. [PS - What was Riyaale doing in 1985? Fighting in the bushes for the 'liberation' and 'indepedence'? Or interrogating and imprisoning as a senior official of the regime the poor masses who were anti-Kacaan?]

...along the banks of the
Maroodijeex river
that flows through Hargeisa...

Misinformation #4. There is no 'river' that passes in Hargeysa. It is har, which bears the name sake of the city "har" iyo "gees" -- har-geeska.

Historically, our marriage with the South wasn't that long when you think of countries like Czechoslovakia, which lasted almost a century before creating the Czech and Slovak republics. But like the nations of Eastern Europe that split from the Soviet Union, or Eritrea in its break from Ethiopia, the divorce is permanent and this is the key to understanding Somaliland.

Misinformation #5. Comparing Czechslovia and Soomaaliya is completely even outside of usual oranges and apples formula. Nor the Itoobiya's forceful annexation and occupation of Eritrea.

------------

It was a day of celebration. Freedom had been granted without a fight; no insurgency like Kenya's Mau Mau or civil war as happened in Zimbabwe.

Fond of the brutal British colonialization #1.

Indeed, many of the British civil servants were sad to leave and some stayed on as welcome members of our new republic.

Fond of the brutal British colonialization #2.

English — our second language in the North — was spurned by the Italian-speaking south

Fond of the brutal British colonialization #3.

We were separate for 80 years as a British protectorate, gained our independence with the Queen's signature on it...

Fond of the brutal British colonialization #4.

Riyaale, nice try. Even the neocon and anti-Islaam paper, Washington Times, cannot help you with all those deliberate misinformation, I guess.

quote:...along the banks of the Maroodijeex river that flows through Hargeisa...

Misinformation #4. There is no 'river' that passes in Hargeysa. It is har, which bears the name sake of the city "har" iyo "gees" -- har-geeska.

wadadii_doxaa_hargeysa.jpg

me   

Yes ROOB.....thats what a Har does.....it takes away the haraa, it takes away the excess waters. Jacaylbaro are you really claiming there is a river that passes through Hargeysa now? :D

Anyhow there is nothing on this article other than the usual secessionist BS.

N.O.R.F   

You have to condsider who the article is aimed at. A dumb american audience. Spinkled with a little milix iyo basbaas hurts no one :D

me   

Dumb americans don't make the policy, evil ones do and to get evil ones on your side you need to sell out big. Are you prepared? cause the TFG boys are already greased up and on all fours. Milix iyo basbaas won't help, they havent helped for the past 16 years, I doubt they will help now.

I am really sorry North....but the whole secessionist gamble backfired in ways you can't imagine now.

Me, how many fronts do u want to fight ?? ... remember you are only ONE.

Horta idinku soo heshiiya then let's talk ,,, but as long as some of you are coming with Ethios and others are bringing Eriterians you are not prepared for what you're calling for

me   

North give it time, in 10 years or twenty or 100 years time it will still be felt by those calling for secession now. Valuable credit has been burned in chasing this secessionist dream and that credit you can't buy it back easily. Ka fakar waxaan leeyahay.

JB I have only one front.

N.O.R.F   

Me, empty rhetoric saxib. SL is in the best position to take advantage of any eventual outcome. Unless your saying they will be punished for seeking succession if unity comes.

Is that what your saying?