Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland: Government and World Bank to Co-Operate

Somaliland: Government and World Bank to Co-Operate

2006-12-12

A delegation of Somaliland Government ministers, heads of departments and agencies completed a three day seminar and workshop organized by the World Bank on Wednesday (06/12/06) in Sheraton Hotel Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The Somaliland delegation was led by the Minister of National Planning of Somaliland Mr Ali Ibrahim Mohamed.

The Somaliland Times correspondent in Addis Ababa, Barre Addunyo met the Minister in his hotel and asked the purpose of the Somaliland delegation trip to Addis Ababa. The minister said, the purpose of our trip to Addis Ababa is for two reasons, one was for application of technical and managerial skills and the other was for direct consultations with the World Bank. The minister said ‘we have been learning the efficient methods in use in the world today for good management of our economies’.

The minister told our correspondent that ‘among other things discussed at this seminar was Somaliland’s current needs and state of its economy and at same time we were in negotiations with the World Bank and have entered or made an agreement with the World Bank to assist Somaliland civil servant workforce in developing their skills, this is the first time in Somaliland’s history that a formal agreement has been signed with the world Bank’. He said ‘also as partners to this agreement we and the World Bank have made joint planning action which we have given a time frame for it to be put into implementation.

Also, at the meeting donor countries from Demark, Norway, Italy and USA and UNDP were in the three-day discussions.

The minister also said, ‘a World Bank delegation will be coming for formal visit to Somaliland on 13 December 2006’.

RedSea   

^I was going to post this,but you beat me to it.

Good for them,does this mean,roads,hospitals,schools,etc will be built?

RedSea   

lol...dude you made me laugh walllahi,sidii qoladii ciidanka asluubta ayaad meelwalba aad joogta,maxaad iga rabtaa.

Okay,good for us,and good for Riyale Kahin.

RedSea   

loooool,owhoooo gimme high five,yeah the world bank,now we can build roads,schools,and every thang,unless Riyale steals the money and doesn't feed to his phat lady of Huda.

it is starting man ,,,, just wait and in 5 years you will see Hargeisa looks like Dubai Insha Allah ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Somaliland is heading towards success ,,,,,, i hope our sisters and brothers in somalia could do the same and put da guns down ,,,,,,

Chimera   

be carefull my somaliland peeps

the World bank tricks countries into big loans and debts with it's sidekick IMF lurking in the corner

insha-allah this won't happen

Congradulations.

I hope now ex-president AbdulKassim who blocked this with the help of Egyptians doesn't blame ethiopia again.

Ethiopia has nothing what so ever to do with this, but he made ethiopia as reason for his objection.

Credit also goes to TFG for not objecting with the belief that no matter what happens in the future or whatever arrangement somalis decide to do, the people of Somaliland deserve to work with the rest of the world and build their home.

Its a big achievement. Congradulation to all for a happy ending of a chapter and happy beginning for many in the future.

N.O.R.F   

I really hope people who know what they are doing are in place for SL. The WB and IMF are not what i would call reliable and transparent organisations.

Looks like more homes for Mr Riyalle in other countries!

Originally posted by Northerner:

I really hope people who know what they are doing are in place for SL. The WB and IMF are not what i would call reliable and transparent organisations.

Looks like more homes for Mr Riyalle in other countries!

Northerner,

A lot has changed in recent years. There is some transparency these days, which with the help of zone or district admins in the area of the projects can go a long way to satisfy even the most cynic.

example:

In Ethiopia you have the federal government, state government, zone government, provincial government and so on until the smallest size and level.

The world Bank now can deal with Zone and provincial governments directly for some projects. It minimizes the hands that can reach the money.

Its also public information now the amount of loan and for what purpose. Many ordinary ethiopians now can speak of how much it costs to pave a km of road.

There is quite significant change that has happened in the whole mechanism and management of the development projects and loans.

Good ,,, i hope our ministers and government will understand this and the last world bank training for some somaliland ministers will be useful for them to deal with the WB and its fundings ,,,,,

N.O.R.F   

Not convinced until i go and find out for myself. I dont trust politicians at all. I just any monies will be spent the right way IA.