Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Somalia: The Trouble with Puntland

William Blake once wrote :

A truth that’s told with bad intent,

Beats all the lies you can invent.

ICG are civil war profiteers, a bunch of academics whose livelihood depends on third world instability and political unrest.

This media release has in it wild predictions of locally grown, armed Islamist overthrowing Puntland government. It's one thing to forsee alshabaab after wining the war in Xamar moving on to Puntland. It's however quite a leep to say that there are underground movement laying low in puntland ready to strike and overthrow the government.

Also the tension between subclans is overly dramatized to the degree that this article asserts that some are already in the process of breaking up. On the pricy issue, all this reports offers is a rehash of SOL oponions. On Sool and Sanaag, it depicts entire communities as grieve striken lot that has been subjugated by rival admins in the north and east, while it's ambly clear that these communities are divided on political lines.

I could go on, and on but it's obvious the authors of this article are miles off in offering a comperhensive assessment.

Merfish bay tageen

That said the challenges puntland faces today can not be understated, they are real and causing great unrest in some parts of Puntland. But if the recent security measures taken by the admin are anything to go by, the solution is within reach

This was a simplistic look at Puntland, lazy westerners at it again, they captured allot of the power balance of the regions correctly, though it seems they could have done more work on the underlying issues. They adequately depicted Yususf historic rise and importance to the state, quite unfair on Cade and quite condescending at times.

While Puntland's creation was preceded by a ............[clan name] political consensus, it was Yusuf's ambition, power and charisma that drove the process. Without him, the project may not have been viable...

The title one had issues with the rest was just what one could pick up by looking at a map of Puntland or reading SOL. :D

None can deny that the security apparatus need an overhaul but they did not give meaningful suggestions towards reform. The PIS role and importance was highly exaggerated, its an important tool and one that should be used for all sorts of security detail, but is not as important as the Presidency or cabinet positions that’s just ridiculous.

Taleexi   

Let us face it as Xiin stated ICG is a bunch of profiteering, European academics equally likely truth to be told: Puntland has got problems, major ones I may say. We can be blind about them and pursue our lives in PL without acknowledging the determinants of our demise in the making. Xiin & Duke, If we are referring to the same PL, isn’t there a tension between south Mudug and PL?, another one between SL and PL over Sool and Sanaag regions, aint the sentiments of the indigenous people of those regions on the rise?, are you telling me there is no relatively grim corruption in PL, or a rift between among some sub-sub clans in the state.

Indeed, PL has made inroads thus far to be where it is today and we wish her to go further. However, not addressing the real issues facing PL isn’t helpful in my view.

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

When I saw the title, I thought it was gonna Mansa Munsa's take on Puntland...disappoin ted.

Be on the lookout for my analysis on PL.

MANSA MUSE: Most of the problems outlined in this report are valid, though some exaggeration was made.

I don’t know this tension between South Mudug & Puntland, as Puntland does not claim an inch of South Mudug and the clans there are not controlled by the state.

Also there has not been any clan clashes inside Galkacyu between the two groups or war over the past 15 years Thus no new tension, historic rivalry yes, but no tension.

Puntland indeed is changing.

Since late APRIL 2009, security forces have conducted a number of well organised raids on pirate hideouts. Courts have been giving lengthy jail terms to some pirates after speedy trials..........A group of 80 pirates led by Abdirizaq Abdullahi Boya, took advantage of a general amnesty announced in late may