Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Would You Take a Bribe????

N.O.R.F   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3819027.stm

In Nigeria, the international oil giant Shell admitted that it inadvertently fed conflict, poverty and corruption through its oil activities in the country.

According to Shell, it has been difficult to operate with integrity in areas of conflict like Nigeria.

_40287781_bribes203.jpg

Corruption plays a fundamental part in all our lives back home. Where the dollar can resolve and ignite all manner of disputes.

With many countries and its inhabitants now accepting that this is just part of living in africa, i wonder when the tables will be turned? I wonder when all africa can look after herself withour relying on funds/aid/projects etc?

But how can this be achieved is the question.

It would be interesting to hear any ideas on this. I dont think its been covered before on here.

Northern

I agree with you that corruption is a big obstacle in Africa which needs to be curbed.

I would like to contribute on curbing it at the hospital level.I had once had a conversation with fellow medical students in Ghana and they had been complaining on the provision of medical services to the people. The governments do pay their workers but the wages are very unsufficient so even doctors ask for baghshish/bribe/ kitu kidogo.

We all know that if you dont have the dough , you will not be treated by doctors. Personally have seen outpatients coming for months tothe hospital each day lining up waiting for the mercy of a doctor to diagnose them. If they had money the doctor says his fees. If its not enough he can pretend to be busy. Or instead you will be taken from one doctor to another or sometimes its just a lab technician dunning a labcoat pretending to be a doctor. And at every door you knock you have 2 pay. And the poor peasant even if he makes it to the doctor he may not be able to afford to buy his medication.

Well to keep it short they created a system whereby every patient could be seen. A donation box where by every patient will contribute( how much is your choice) . The money collected later will be counted and distributed evenly between the doctors and nurses available. The system has been sucessful somehow the medical staff were satisfied and the patients were happy to as they were not being fleeced, It was more like paying an appointment fee.

When you look at this example you wont find it in the west as the health systems are securely based. As for the british the NHS cares for all. the only problem patients face is getting appointments to tertiary facilities.w hile back home in africa the problem is seeing the doctor.