Sign in to follow this  
FatB

friendship

FatB   

bros/sis

there is this "sheeq" from the sates who is curently visiting here (australia) and he is preaching that "a muslim can not have a non-mulsim friend" <<< that quote has sparked much debate here; so what do "uz" thimk. can we have non muslims as friends????

Haseena   

Bismillah

Salamu Calaykum wa Raxmatullah

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)â€

[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“You see many of them taking the disbelievers as their Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers). Evil indeed is that which their ownselves have sent forward before them; for that (reason) Allaah’s Wrath fell upon them, and in torment they will abide.

81. And had they believed in Allaah, and in the Prophet (Muhammad) and in what has been revealed to him, never would they have taken them (the disbelievers) as Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers); but many of them are the Faasiqoon (rebellious, disobedient to Allaah)â€

[al-Maa’idah 5:80-81]

“O you who believe! Take not as friends the people who incurred the Wrath of Allaah (i.e. the Jews). Surely, they have despaired of (receiving any good in) the Hereafter, just as the disbelievers have despaired of those (buried) in graves (that they will not be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection)â€

[al-Mumtahanah 60:13]

“Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Awliyaa’ (supporters, helpers) instead of the believers, and whoever does that, will never be helped by Allaah in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from themâ€

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:28]

“Indeed there has been an excellent example for you in Ibraaheem (Abraham) and those with him, when they said to their people: ‘Verily, we are free from you and whatever you worship besides Allaah, we have rejected you, and there has started between us and you, hostility and hatred for ever until you believe in Allaah Alone’â€

[al-Mumtahanah 60:4]

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himselfâ€

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them, while they have disbelieved in what has come to you of the truthâ€

[al-Mumtahanah 60:1]

Allah Azza Wa Jal has already said what we can and we can't, and the muslim is the one who hears and obey.

wa calaykum salam wa raxmatullah

This is something similar to what u r asking,,, with the answer of the scholars.. i hope it clears it up for u...

wasalam...

Question:

In the Quraan, it says that we can not take the Kuffaar as awliyaa, but what does that mean? I mean, to what degree? Can we do business with them still? If I'm at school, can we play basketball with them? Can we talk to them about basketball and stuff? Can we hang out with them as long as they keep their beliefs to themselves? The reason I ask is because someone I know does hang out with them in this way and it doesn't affect his beliefs, but I still tell him, "Why don't you hang out with the muslims instead?" He says that most or many of the Muslims drink and take drugs where they hang out and they have girlfriends and he's afraid that the sins of the Muslims will lure him, yet he's sure that the Kufr of the Kaafirs will not lure him because that's something that isn't attractive to him. So is hanging out with them, playing sports with them, and talking with them about sports considered as "taking them as awliyaa instead of the believers" keeping in mind that he is doing that for his own eemaan?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allaah has forbidden the believers to take the kaafireen (disbelievers) as friends, and He has issued a stern warning against doing that.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)â€

[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

Shaykh al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

In this verse Allaah tells us that whoever takes the Jews and Christians as friends is one of them because of his taking them as friends. Elsewhere Allaah states that taking them as friends incurs the wrath of Allaah and His eternal punishment, and that if the one who takes them as friends was a true believer he would not have taken them as friends. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You see many of them taking the disbelievers as their Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers). Evil indeed is that which their ownselves have sent forward before them; for that (reason) Allaah’s Wrath fell upon them, and in torment they will abide.

81. And had they believed in Allaah, and in the Prophet (Muhammad) and in what has been revealed to him, never would they have taken them (the disbelievers) as Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers); but many of them are the Faasiqoon (rebellious, disobedient to Allaah)â€

[al-Maa’idah 5:80-81]

Elsewhere Allaah forbids taking them as friends and explains the reason for that, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not as friends the people who incurred the Wrath of Allaah (i.e. the Jews). Surely, they have despaired of (receiving any good in) the Hereafter, just as the disbelievers have despaired of those (buried) in graves (that they will not be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection)â€

[al-Mumtahanah 60:13]

In another verse Allaah explains that this is so long as they are not taken as friends because of fear or taqiyah (i.e., being friendly with them in order to avoid harm); if that is the case then the one who does that is excused. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Awliyaa’ (supporters, helpers) instead of the believers, and whoever does that, will never be helped by Allaah in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from themâ€

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:28]

This verse explains all the verses quoted above which forbid taking the kaafirs as friends in general terms. What that refers to is in cases where one has a choice, but in cases of fear and taqiyah it is permissible to make friends with them, as much as is essential to protect oneself against their evil. That is subject to the condition that one’s faith should not be affected by that friendship and the one who is behaves in that manner out of necessity is not one who behaves in that manner out of choice.

It may be understood from the apparent meaning of these verses that the one who deliberately takes the kuffaar as friends by choice and because he likes them, is one of them. End quote.

Adwa’ al-Bayaan, 2/98,99

One of the forms of making friends with the kaafirs which is forbidden is taking them as friends and companions, mixing with them and eating and playing with them.

In the answer to question no. 10342 we have quoted Shaykh Ibn Baaz as saying:

Eating with a kaafir is not haraam if it is necessary to do so, or if that serves some shar’i interest. But they should not be taken as friends, so you should not eat with them for no shar’i reason or for no shar’i purpose. You should not sit and chat with them and laugh with them. But if there is a reason to do so, such as eating with a guest, or to invite them to Islam or to guide them to the truth, or for some other shar’i reason, then it is OK.

The fact that the food of the People of the Book is halaal for us does not mean that we may take them as friends and companions. It does not mean that we may eat and drink with them for no reason and for no shar’i purpose.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on mixing with the kuffaar and treating them kindly hoping that they will become Muslim. He replied:

Undoubtedly the Muslim is obliged to hate the enemies of Allaah and to disavow them, because this is the way of the Messengers and their followers. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed there has been an excellent example for you in Ibraaheem (Abraham) and those with him, when they said to their people: ‘Verily, we are free from you and whatever you worship besides Allaah, we have rejected you, and there has started between us and you, hostility and hatred for ever until you believe in Allaah Alone’â€

[al-Mumtahanah 60:4]

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himselfâ€

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

Based on this, it is not permissible for a Muslim to feel any love in his heart towards the enemies of Allaah who are in fact his enemies too. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them, while they have disbelieved in what has come to you of the truthâ€

But if a Muslim treats them with kindness and gentleness in the hope that they will become Muslim and will believe, there is nothing wrong with that, because it comes under the heading of opening their hearts to Islam. But if he despairs of them becoming Muslim, then he should treat them accordingly. This is something that is discussed in detail by the scholars, especially in the book Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah by Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3, question no. 389.

Secondly:

With regard to what this person says about not mixing with sinful Muslims for fear that he may be tempted by their sins, but the kufr of the kuffaar does not tempt him, the answer to that is:

As for not mixing with Muslims who commit sin, he is doing well thereby, if he is not able to advise them and forbid them to do evil, and he fears that he may fall into the same sins and think it is something good.

With regard to mixing with the kuffaar, the reason why mixing with the kuffaar is not allowed is not only the fear that one may fall into kufr, rather the main reason for this ruling is their enmity towards Allaah and His Messenger and the believers. Allaah has indicated this reason in the verse where He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies (i.e. disbelievers and polytheists) as friends, showing affection towards them, while they have disbelieved in what has come to you of the truth (i.e. Islamic Monotheism, this Qur’aan, and Muhammad), and have driven out the Messenger (Muhammad) and yourselves (from your homeland) because you believe in Allaah your Lordâ€

So how can it be appropriate for a Muslim to keep company with the enemy of Allaah and his enemy, and make friends with him?

How can he be certain that he will not start to think of their ways as good? Many Muslims have fallen into kufr and heresy and have apostatized from Islam because of keeping company with the kuffaar and living in their countries. Some of them have become Jews and some have become Christians, and some have embraced atheistic philosophies.

We ask Allaah to make us steadfast in following His religion.

See also the answer to question no. 2179, which explains the important principle of the prohibition on taking the kuffaar as close friends. It also describes many forms of the kinds of friendship that are forbidden.

In the answer to question no. 43270 you will find the ruling on saying that the morals and manners of the kuffaar are better than those of the Muslims, and there is a quotation from Shaykh Ibn Baaz on the prohibition on saying such a thing.

In the answer to question no. 26118 and 23325 it is stated that it is forbidden to keep company with the kuffaar and make friends with them.

And Allaah knows best

FatB   

is that to say that i should not socialize at uni or the work place; but come in sit in the corner and not communicate or chat with anybody and after class quickly make my wait out and straight home!!!!!!

doese that mean that i have to dich all of my uni "friends" + accociates???

Janna   

I somehow feel sorry for Muslims who desperately want to befriend a non-muslim. What is the purpose of having a non-believer as a friend?

Why not befriend a Muslim brother or sister?

There is no need to seek the friendship of those who do not believe.

It angers me seeing how some Muslims want the acceptance of a non-believer. I see many non-believers as a waste of time and evildoers.

FatB   

^^^sister that is easy to say for people who dwell in and around other muslim bro/sis but, surly u must have had some uni or highschool "buddies" that u must have shard a cup of coffie with?!...

and Jamarel what do u mean by "not integrate." if u mean that we will never intergrate to the point of which we will lose our islamic believes and morals than yes; but surly u must have bick up some happits that are exentuated by the climate u live in?? is that not evidence to the contrey of what u said??

so, i ask; should we difine friendship to start with? and its relivence to the mentioned verses of the quraan?...at which point do ur acuantences become ur friends? are u allowed to have kufaars as ur accuantence, but not as a friend?.... aaah is all so confusing...i give up...

salams to all... the one and only... i see ur frustration... maybe we should ask ourselves a bigger question... is our stay in this part of the world permitted,, being with non muslims?..maybe after answering this,, the picture will be more clearer...

wasalam..

Jafarel.   

We all have non muslim colleagues from workplaces, schools, sports centres and the like...[unless you are from Saudi]..but are these colleagues your friends?

I'll speak for myself.

My non muslim colleagues are NOT my friends. My muslim colleagues are my brothers and sisters.

What habbits and values we pick up from non muslim colleagues is, I feel, an individual choice, which must be measured against Sunnah and Quran compliance/compatibility....(how well,if @ all they do, do these values fit in with my way of life..[ ISLAMIC]?)

NGONGE   

With our Muslim friends, do they have to be Salafis or would any old Sunni do?

Advice us, o ye beard strokers and Hijab adjusters, we really need to know.

Muslims should follow Allah's commands as has been explained and exemplified by Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wasallam. These commands guide all our actions in this life. Our attitude to this life is very definite and clear. We have a distinct set of values, a set of rules. We believe that we are Allah's agents on this earth. This means we must do as He commands in order to achieve His pleasure in the life after death.

Muslims and non-Muslims are all human beings. So as humans we have a lot in common. But our way of life is entirely different from theirs. We look at this life as a test and a preparation for the life after death. Non-Muslims take a different view. To them life is a sort of a game or adventure with which they can do anything until it comes to an end. They do not seem to realise that they have to account for their actions in the life after death. They lead a sort of uncontrolled life.

People in a non-Muslim society consider our way of life as strange and difficult. They find it peculiar that we have to do many duties in life. They think we have no freedom. But we take exactly the opposite view. To us, our way of life gives us order, peace and happiness. Real freedom is in the total obedience to Allah.

To grow up as a Muslim we should learn Islaam well. Good knowledge leads to firm faith which is essential for good practice. We cannot expect to be good Muslims without a sound knowledge of Islaam. A firm belief in the greatness, beauty and practical lesson of Islaam will give us strong faith and confidence in ourselves.

Some of our actions may appear strange and funny to our non-Muslim friends. We should do what we think is right. For example, we do not eat pork and meat of animals not slaughtered in Allah's name. We also do not drink wine, dance and play music. Young Muslim girls should not go to physical education lesson with a dress which keeps their legs uncovered. They should dress modestly and cover their whole body, except hands and a part of face when going out or meeting a stranger. There is nothing to feel ashamed about in dressing as a good Muslim girl.

Imitating others we will loose our identity as Muslims and gain nothing.

We know that to grow as a Muslim in a non-Muslim society is not easy but we should accept it as a challenge. We young Muslims should consciously adopt this attitude. Our non-Muslim friends will respect us if we practice what we believe. We must keep in mind that belief without action is meaningless.

It is like a tree which does not bear fruit. Firm faith should guide our actions. Once we are totally convinced of our way of life, every thing else that we are required to do will become easy. If we are weak in our faith, things will be pretty difficult indeed.

Another thing is that in a non-Muslim society, we young people meet many young non-Muslims who can learn about Islaam by our own examples. So a non-Muslim society gives a chance to act as the ambassadors of Islaam for the non-Muslims. We would never have got this opportunity in a purely Muslim country. I hope, the Muslim youth will keep this in mind.

Islaam is for practice. It is not a way of life just to be praised with our lips. We must aim at growing up as a practising Muslim in this society. If we can succeed in growing up as a real Muslim in this non-Muslim society, we will be rewarded immensely by our Creator, I am quite sure of that.

We ask Allah to make us of the righteous ones and give us companions who will take us away from His wrath and lead us to His pleasure and Paradise.

Ameen ..for ALLAH (sw) Knows best .

Mac-salamah

Janna   

Originally posted by tHe oNe aNd OnLy:

^^^sister that is easy to say for people who dwell in and around other muslim bro/sis but, surly u must have had some uni or highschool "buddies" that u must have shard a cup of coffie with?!...

During my high school years I had Turkish friends. I attended a school with not many Muslims. However the circumstances have changed now dramatically. We are currently under attack. I do attend a University with some Muslims but that doesn't mean I see them every day. Nor do I get the chance to mingle with them because we have different lunch breaks plus we are not doing the same course/s.

Yes, I did "share a coffee" with ex friends from high school. That was then and this is now.

I don't need the friendship of a non-believer however some "so called Muslims" who I have met are no better than a Christian. Sometimes when I question a Christian person and a "so called Muslim", I get a better reply from the Christian individual.

salams to all... lexxy.. just a comment on what u said... a muslim is always better than a christian no matter their behaviour or bad character,, just 'cause they corrupt and commit so much mischief doesn't make the christian better than them...the reason being the muslim has some sort of iman no matter how little compare to a non-muslim who lacks it at all...the non-muslim could be better than the muslim in character that helps them in this world not in the hereafter,,, but u r right... we r not putting our best behaviour as real muslims should and that is due to lack of understanding our diin properly....it's like a person about to perform an experimetn without reading the procedure sheet,, can this be possible,, i think not... same thing with our situation,, we say we muslim, but we don't know the teachings of our diin and we don't want to learn about it,, ask ourselves what Allah SWA is requiring us to do,surely Allah SWA didn't put us in here and forget about us without telling us what we should do,that is making fun of Allah's wisdom,the most High, so don't be surprised when u meet such muslims,, just give thanks and praises to Allah SWA for not making u one of them and be patient..

i apologize for any insults...

wasalam..

Yonis   

Asalamu caleykum

It is always a good thing to have a good friend who encourages you to do the good deeds. Having a Muslim friend is a beneficial for our own good since Muslims enjoin what is good and forbid evil things from one another. On the other hand, there are dozen of verses that warned us not to be a friend with non-Muslim. I think the friendship those verses are talking about is not just being a friend and mixing with them--it is considering them as a protector and showing them that you love them more than you love your Muslims brothers. As we know, we (most of us) live in non-Muslim countries where our neighbors, our co-workers and our classmates are non-Muslim so, what a Muslim person ought to do in order to follow his/her religion? Well, it is acceptable to treat them as they treat you. And you can also have a polite and a decent conversation with them without crossing the line as long as they behave well. but if you follow their foot steps, act like the way they act and forget your religion, it is forbidden to hang out or being a friend with them under any circumstances.

Walahu Aclam

Janna   

Islam-Today

Even though I didn't read your whole reply.

Correct me if I am wrong but a Muslim who doesn't pray is no longer a "Muslim"

True or False?