Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

By the might of Allah, the Europeans and Kenyans to protect the genuine ICU heads.

Gabbal   

Major Somali Islamic Official Reportedly in Kenya

By Cathy Majtenyi

Nairobi

28 December 2006

A major official of the Islamic Courts Union is reportedly in Kenya to discuss with Kenyan government representatives the situation in Somalia. As Cathy Majtenyi reports for VOA from Nairobi, there appears to be some confusion as to the details of the meeting.

A Western aid worker with operations in Somalia told VOA that Ibrahim Adow, a foreign affairs official with the Islamic Courts Union, flew out of Mogadishu early Thursday morning to Nairobi at the request of the Kenyan government, ostensibly to discuss with them the recent fighting.

The aid worker had no details about the meeting.

Attempts by VOA to contact Kenyan government officials for verification were unsuccessful.

Somalia's foreign affairs minister, Esmael Mohamud Hurreh, tells VOA that he has also heard of Adow's presence in Kenya but could not get any information when he contacted the Kenyan government and the European Commission.

"The Kenyans told me it's the Europeans who brought them here, and the Europeans are telling me it's the Kenyans who brought them here," Hurreh says. "And that's a mystery we want to know."

Hurreh says he thinks everyone wants to distance themselves from the Islamic Courts Union. He says he has heard that top Islamic officials have fled to Djibouti, Eritrea, and other locations.

After a week of heavy fighting, the Islamists Thursday abandoned Mogadishu as government troops encircled the city, the Islamists' base.

Earlier this year, the Islamic Courts Union seized control of the capital and other areas before reaching a truce with the government.

The two sides signed a peace accord in September that, among other things, called for the creation of a joint national army and police force.

But negotiations Somalia's transitional government and the Islamic Courts Union that were meant to finalize the accord collapsed in Sudan on November 2.

The Islamists said they would not continue the negotiations until all Ethiopian troops that are supporting the transitional government leave Somalia.

Gabbal   

While the Europeans and Kenyans are watching their international political faces, it is obvious they wish to continue the earlier support they gave to the ICU by now extending amnesty to the top leaders who did nothing but peace and security to Mogadishu.

Abwaan   

"The Kenyans told me it's the Europeans who brought them here, and the Europeans are telling me it's the Kenyans who brought them here," Hurreh says. "And that's a mystery we want to know."

Who does he think he is? Kenya is free to invite whoever they want to and the EU can't be bullied by someone who they pay for his travel expenses.

Doesn't Mr Buubaa (His name says all)know that Prof. Addow is dual national (American and Somali).

He has contributed alot towards the stability of Mogadishu and South more unlike Mr Buubaa who can't even visit Hargeysa.

This guy is a looser who only talks. He has been with Aideed, A/Qaasim and now with A/llaahi and his Amxaaro. Believe it or not he will sell the whole weak TFG to anybody with money.

I couldn't beleive when some friends who were close to him told me that he was giving his buddies a blank signed letters with letterheads to do whatever they want while he was in Italy when he was a foreign minister in the weak Arta Goverment.