Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

Somaliland may soon join the UN to become the 193rd member

roobleh   

Though the following article has been published online by UNPO website and Garowe Online among others few months ago, but the article's author seems to correctly predicted that Somaliland is soon to win its bid to international recognition. I myself believe that Somaliland will beat few candidate countries such as Kosovo to become the first and the newest UN member in 2007. Do you agree with that and what is your predictions? Will either Kosovo or Western Sahara beat Somaliland by first joining the UN?

Somaliland: Call for UN Special Envoy

2007-02-05

Below is an article written by Ali Deria and published by Garowe Online;

There are 192 member states of the United Nations, and Somaliland may soon join the group to become the 193rd member. However, Somaliland has to overcome few obstacles to become the first country to join the UN since Montenegro has become the 192nd member state in 2006.

The first step is to lobby to have a UN special envoy for Somaliland. If the UN could afford to provide four special envoys for the HIV/AIDS and one for the bird flu, then they can afford to have one for Somaliland.

Because of the uncertainty of succeeding to have a lasting peace in Somalia, the UN special envoy for Somalia, Francois Fall, will have no time to broker a deal between Somaliland and Somalia. And there is no point for Somaliland to wait for the never-ending discussions of peacemaking in Somalia. Therefore, there is an urgent need for a UN peace envoy in Somaliland.

For instance, the former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, who is the UN special envoy for Kosovo, has just unveiled a draft plan that could lead Kosovo to independence and thus peace in the region. Soon, Kosovo will join the free world and become an independent state.

Likewise, a special envoy for Somaliland could broker a deal between Somaliland and Somalia. And if a deal is not reached within a year, for example, the UN special envoy could forge a proposal and present it to the UN Security Council, which will have the final say.

The second step is to solve the issue of Sool and Sanaag. One of the lessons that we’ve learned from the earlier peace reconciliations is the fact that demand for justice alone does not always lead to a lasting peace. It is the political reconciliation, not justice that was responsible for the stability we have today.

We’ve succeeded creating a lasting peace in most of the country except the regions of Sool and Sanaag. So, let’s reach out to ***** and make peace with **********. Once we make peace with them, then political reconciliation with *********** and Warsengeli will most likely succeed.

In addition, we need to tone down the criticism of the TFG’s president, Abdilahi Yusuf, and his government for the possibility of reaching a truce that paves the way for Somalia and Somaliland to recognize each other as independent states.

In fact, Somaliland clans have more in common with ***** sub clan than ******, and the success of Abdilahi Yusuf’s current government will mean that Somaliland will have lesser hindrance for international recognition than ****** lead government.

The last challenge is to beat the Western Sahara, Taiwan, Kosovo, and the Vatican City for becoming the 193rd member state of the UN. Impressive list, isn’t it? Well, the independent state of the Vatican City with a population of less than a thousand people is still considering for becoming a full member state of the UN. Since the creation of the Vatican in 1929, it has voted not to become a UN member, and is unlikely to join it very soon.

It is also unlikely that either Taiwan or the Western Sahara will join the UN before Somaliland, because Taiwan has to overcome the Great Chinas resistance, and the Western Sahara issue is still stalled in the UN.

Kosovo has the most potential to beat Somaliland for becoming the first one to join the group, and Somaliland may have to settle for second best after Kosovo to become the 194th member state of the UN.

Source

UNPO Website

For me it is not that important to join UN as i predict even the UN is going failure soon though it is good somaliland to have its seat there. As long as we have peace and stability and as long as we recognize our selves then the UN is forced to work with us.

Yes, soon we will join the UN Insha Allah ,,,,

roobleh   

Brother JB, we need the UN for the simple reason that our voice will be heard in such matters as peace and security and health in the globe. We will be able to have a say the UN peace keeping forces that is needed to protect the people in Darfur so those innocent Darfurians will have peace and decide whether to continue to be part of Sudan or vote for their independence like Southern Sudan, since the Sudanese government sees them as second citizens and their plight were ignored by Muslim countries.

many countries are in the UN and their voice cannot be heard coz they not supporting the western policies and goals ,,,,,,,

Let's see forward to join the UN before cosovo and others so that we beat them first ,,,

Gabbal   

Roobleh must be a member of the newer generation, naive and with energy to spend. :D

Roobleh don't tire yourself young man. One of the things that had me laughing in complete irony was you posting the article "Ethiopia to soon recognize Somaliland" at the same day the Ethiopian prime minister was in Mogadishu, and two weeks after his foreign minister opened up their first embassy there since the 70's. That was a classic moment in SOL history, something the older, more realistic generation would not have done. That just highlighted even more your young sensibilities. :D

N.O.R.F   

^^so Ethiopia occupies Somalia and will not recognise Somaliland is a mature assessment?

Only classics on SOL polictics was your flip-flopping :D

Originally posted by N/AA:

Roobleh must be a member of the newer generation, naive and with energy to spend.
:D

Roobleh don't tire yourself young man. One of the things that had me laughing in complete irony was you posting the article "Ethiopia to soon recognize Somaliland" at the same day the Ethiopian prime minister was in Mogadishu, and two weeks after his foreign minister opened up their first embassy there since the 70's. That was a classic moment in SOL history, something the older, more realistic generation would not have done. That just highlighted even more your young sensibilities.

What is wrong if the Ethiopian PM visited Mogadishu ?? ,, didn't he visit Nairobi and Uganda before ???

Why visiting mogadishu means not recognizing Somaliland ?? do you think so ??

Emperor   

^No he means that Ethiopia is a friend and directly supports it with all its man power and money, their head of state visited Mogadishu to show the world that this was the real ligitimate Somali goverment, a government that donnot support the Idea of succession and will not compromise on the break away issue...

N.O.R.F   

^^So you think Ethio have had nothing to do with the anarchy of the past 16 years? The financing of warlord vs warlord plus encouraging SL to seek its seccession? Do you think Ethios have had nothing at all to do with it all?

I think the conterary but let's see ,,,,,

it is clear that the TFG is Ethopia's alliance and that has nothing to do with Somaliland.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^so Ethiopia occupies Somalia and will not recognise Somaliland is a mature assessment?

Only classics on SOL polictics was your flip-flopping

Northerner, I am afraid you are known for glip liners without any substance sxb. A response of this nature does not surprise me. What is a mature assessment, to answer your question, is Ethiopia will not recognize Somaliland and it is something to pity the character of people who take a very anti-occupation stance then turning around and posting such things or boasting of Ethiopia's support to the SNM as Red-Sea had done recently. smile.gif

Somaliland iman mayso, ama jeclow ama nacbow adeer raga yaryar hawlahooda haka baaba'ine!

N.O.R.F   

N/AA,

I think you need a new pair of flip flops. We can buy you some. You will support Somaliland by next week. What say you N/A?

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Emperor:

^No he means that Ethiopia is a friend and directly supports it with all its man power and money, their head of state visited Mogadishu to show the world that this was the real ligitimate Somali goverment, a government that donnot support the Idea of succession and will not compromise on the break away issue...

Clearly we haven't heard recently of Faisal Cali Waraabe proclaiming on the radio waves that "a child born in Addis is closer to I then a child born in Xamar" have we? And mind you, there is a reason for that. ;)

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Northerner:

N/AA,

I think you need a new pair of flip flops. We can buy you some. You will support Somaliland by next week. What say you N/A?

I would say that is cute, but then I would be falling down your route wouldn't I Northerner-ow? smile.gif