Sign in to follow this  
Bokero

What do we really want?

Bokero   

What do we really want?

I have worked and travelled widely and never have I come across people with such a promise, a promise to unleash our natural intelligence, curiosity and entrepreneurship for the progress of our people and Africa at large. But neither have I come across more destructive, more paranoid, parochial, hating, illogical and sadly petty as my people.

So what do Somalis want? I suppose I am looking for insight on whether we at least agree on end goal. We obviously disagree on the paths to success as shown in our murderous rage, but do we at least agree on the END GOAL, if we do then we have a hope….. Unending war is madness even Somalis cannot accept it perpetually…

Let the intelligent debate commence

Bokero   

Oodweyne

Thanks for well written and coherent albeit depressing analysis of our predicament as you see it.

However I don’t believe in monolithic clan interest as such because that assumes

a) the clan in power can rule on behalf or the interest/benefit of its kin,.. this is just impractical,.. if the struggle for power is a means for controlling the resources of states then there just not enough out there for entire clan…The resources merger to go around…

b) Second it also assumes that there is a central community so competent and structured to define a specific clan interest…

c) And that there is designated singular voice that speaks for a specific clan or group… Recent history has shown any group that signs any contract or peace agreements returns home only to find out that his lot has defragmented disproves this assumption…

My humble analysis is that Somali elite system is where tumour is located.

Our crisis is fundamentally one of elite distrust and little to do with most of us… Most Somalis are mere followers of a weak elite system that suffers from any form of stability necessary for governing. The elites need to get their act together and sort out their disagreements and stop driving us to one road to the abyss.

The people who come to SOL changing their stands/enemy/friend, according to what their elites decide a proving point of the power of elites…

Bokero   

Dear Oodweyne.

I think we are on the same page except that you’re conceptualisation of elite interest and need for binding glue is were we depart wee bit.

Allow me to start with latter… there is natural binding glue that perpetually holds elites together, RENT seeking… Elite formation is based on the need to limit the access to rent seeking opportunities… what binds then forever is the need grow the rent while limiting the access… this glue does exist within the Somali elites. Before I address what makes the Somali glue weak, let me address my first point. Elites everywhere are not primarily motivated by common good but by elite good… They utilise nationalism, racism, clanism and all the ISMs for a single purpose to maximise rents…

I am not depressed by the their greedy nature, like capitalism greed is not always bad.. A businessman starts enterprise not to employ people and pay salaries but to make profit for themselves and collaterally pays for the life style of his employees and theirs families.

The history of European elite systems was no different the King and court wanted to maximise rent and manipulated the economy for that purpose. But by accident created efficient institutions like tax collection , the police etc to ensure peaceful thievery… they also had interest for private enterprise to succeeded so that they can collect more taxes…

a positive greed elite system requires certain level of stability and trust within the elites.. Somali elite system has collapsed to the extent that the elites have decided war ( a last option for many elites as tool for solving disputes) to be the first resort in dispute resolution…

Here is good part I believe we have an opportunity, with the ageing of our current elites, a new generation of elites who have grown outside Somalia have the opportunity to create a stable system whereby war is seen as a last resort to solving disputes…

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Bokero:

Here is good part I believe we have an opportunity, with the ageing of our current elites, a new generation of elites who have grown outside Somalia have the opportunity to create a stable system whereby war is seen as a last resort to solving disputes…

Why is the mentality of the Western-Somali elites, be they educated in Harvard or Oxford, any different to the elites back at home? Check this forum and, you will realise that some of the most sophisticed views are not really any different to what an illiterate nomad would believe in Somalia. The only difference is that people have learned the art of rhetoric and different ways of camouflaging their tribal motives in Islamic, Democratic or Federal garments. Educated people in West are as much tied up to tribal ways of think as much, if not more. Secondly, are you sure the elites will not be out of touch and unable to solve problems back home?