Ambassador Bethwel Kiplagat

Chairman IGAD

Ambassador Ismail Gulal

Djibouti Representative for Somalia Peace Conference

Ambassador Abdiaziz Ahmed

Ethiopian Representative for Somalia Peace Conference

Dear sirs

Presidential Candidate Osman Mohamed Farah

I herewith proclaim my candidacy for the forthcoming presidential elections of Somalia.

Letter of Endorsement

The Somali Business Community in UAE hereby endorses Mr Osman M. Farah's candidacy in the forthcoming Somali presidential election.

The Somali Business Community in UAE attests Mr Farah to be:

A strong willed and honest leader who believes in firm set of principles.

Demanding of himself and of those around him and of the highest integrity.

A leader with a strategic vision who can make balanced decisions

At the same time a man with a pragmatic approach and a proven track record in problem solving.

A leader with a particular strong set of social skills and communication abilities

Mr Farah has been politically neutral during the entire Somali civil war and owns his respect of the broad international and national Somali community to his honesty, integrity and strong principals.

Click here for all...

I intend to travel to Nairobi during the course of this week and would greatly appreciate to meet you in person.

For good order sake I would appreciate if you could confirm receipt of this letter as well as the specific electoral program.

Awaiting your news.

Yours sincerely

Osman Mohamed Farah

Communiqué Released by Ali Mohamed Arrale, Candidate for the Office of the President of the Somali Transitional National Government

I am pleased to announce that I will run for the office of the President of the Somali Transitional National Government. My decision to run for this important office is driven by my conviction that the Somali people at this historical juncture need a leadership that is strong and determined to bail the country out of its protracted crisis, which has lasted for over a decade now. I believe that I am qualified to provide this leadership.

If elected to the Office of the President, I will endeavour to exercise my responsibilities and carry out my mandate in accordance with the provisions of the Interim Charter, which will emanate from the current Peace and Reconciliation Conference convened in Nairobi, Kenya. I will undertake to adhere to the fundamental principles of this Charter and call for the devolution of power and the shift of governance from a largely central and formal process to a decentralized, more participatory and integrated approach.

Moreover, I will endeavour to incorporate, within the framework of the provisions of the Interim Charter, the diverse political, economic, and social perspectives in addressing the post-war reconstruction and rehabilitation programmes.

My vision and strategy as President will, at the outset, focus on the search together with the Parliament, the Council of Ministers and the Judiciary branch of the State for an appropriate and legitimate mechanism that would provide the momentum needed for the implementation of the Blueprint for Peace in Somalia, which will be launched by the Peace and Reconciliation Conference in Nairobi. I will equally call for the participation of the Somali Civil Society and the Somalis in the Diaspora in all the programmes and efforts that would be undertaken to implement peace agreements and strengthen peace and stability in the country.

For the people of Somalia to be able to attain a lasting peace and stability in the country, it would be incumbent upon each and every one of us to identify the factors that have triggered the state's disintegration. As the Interim President, I will call for the establishment of a Multi-Stakeholder Commission to conduct an extensive research on the causes of the Somali armed conflict and the ensuing devastating collapse of the political, economic and social infrastructures. The findings of the work of the Commission would constitute the basis for the building of trust among Somalis and subsequently for the consolidation of justice and equality in the country.

I pledge to engage the Transitional National Assembly and the Council of Ministers immediately after their inception to address the issues of: decentralization and federal system; land and property; economic recovery; and demobilization, disarmament and reintegration, concurrently and in an integrated manner because of their interconnectedness. These core issues cannot be addressed separately and independently from each other as they all manifest an inordinate degree of interdependency.

As the Interim President of the country, I will urge the Parliament and the Council of Ministers to approve the request for the deployment of peacekeeping forces in the country to disarm the militias and put an end to anarchy and lawlessness. I will also call the UN Security Council to consider the possibility of establishing a Peacebuilding Mission for Somalia. We will be committed to shoulder our responsibility with respect to security in Somalia, but without the support of the International Community, it would be difficult for us alone to cope up with the crucial tasks of bringing about a comprehensive and lasting settlement of the situation in Somalia.

I strongly believe that it is in the strategic interest of Somalia to have good relations with the neighbouring countries. If elected, I will strongly urge the Parliament and the Council of Ministers to provide the vision, courage, and creativity that can nurture and cultivate love and understanding among the people of the Horn, and put in place a plan for a viable economic cooperation between Somalia and its neighbours. Moreover, I will ask my fellow citizens to express their heartfelt gratitude to Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, and all the member states of IGAD for their unwavering commitment to peace and stability in Somalia. I believe that we can have good relations with our neighbours, bearing in mind respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity, political independence and unity of Somalia.

Immediately after my election, I will embark on a very important task of engaging everyone in Somalia to take part in the fight against international terrorism. I will personally liaise with the Parliament and the Council of Ministers to take appropriate steps to establish an Anti-Terrorism Task Force, which will be involved in developing anti-terrorist action plan in coordination with the United Nations, the United States, the EU, the African Union, the OIC, and the League of Arab States.

The armed conflict in Somalia has also destroyed the governance structure responsible for the control and management of natural resources. The breakdown of law and order has led to an increased exploitation of these resources. As the Interim President of Somalia, I will undertake to put in place the natural resources governance system in Somalia. My vision in terms of sustainable development in Somalia will also include the involvement of the pertinent stakeholders in the society in identifying and developing policies and institutional frameworks that can foster post-conflict reforms, which can lead to social equity, environmental justice and accountability.

http://www.hiiraan.com/htdocs/2003/may03/mbagathi_may28.htm

king_450   

Bari, bro since u r into politics of somalia, tell us what will happend if ppl couldn't come to an agreement, will somalia goes back to the looting and self rule hectic they in now, or will things change.

N.O.R.F   

Elections in Somalia? Looks like the legacy of democracy in Somaliland is bearing fruit in the south, long may it continue.

There is a tendancy amongst us all that we do not believe in certain things untill it is demonstrated to us that it works. I aint hating and by no means trying to be negative, but still hope all is well in the end, the catching up process has begun then. Somaliland is near enough the finish line with regard to democracy while Somalia still has maybe another 4 laps of the 800m track, then we may end up in the same place!!! Good Luck!!

Dhimbil   

kaalay, habar walba ma waxay u ordaysaa madaxtinimo :confused: Who is running for rest of the government offices?

Are there any requirements for somali presidency? like must born in somalia, age limit etc.

Dantay1   

Everyone has a right to run, but 98% know they wont win, they are just posturing so that they will get a ministerial job of some kind.

Its like the Arta election but now you have more diverse candidates. Insha Allah we shal get something posative, we have waited a while now