Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Somaliland leaves Somalis in limbo

Castro   

Somaliland leaves Somalis in limbo

Mohammed Adow, in Hargeysa, Somaliland

Those arriving in Hargeysa, fleeing war in

southern Somalia, live in makeshift camps

Somaliland's disputed independence has left hundreds of Somalis ineligible for UN aid and unrecognised by Somaliland's government.

Hundreds of Somalis fled recent fighting in Mogadishu, the Somali capital, taking shelter in the relative safety of Somaliland.

According to the UN, fighting in Mogadishu has displaced about 400,000 people.

An estimated 40,000 of those have fled to Hargeysa, Somaliland's capital, with thousands of others scattered in other settlements throughout the territory.

Fatuma Abdullahi, one if the refugees, told Al Jazeera: "I fled from the Bakaara area of Mogadishu during the heaviest fighting in April. It took me 16 days to reach Hargeysa. I am here with some of my family members while others are still in Mogadishu."

"There is no going back for me. I am here to stay," she said.
:D

Breakaway republic

Mohammed Adow's full report here

In Hargeysa, many Somalis gather to be registered, but they have encountered a problem: in Somaliland, the UN does not regard them as refugees and the Somaliland government will not recognise them as internally displaced people.

In May 1991, Somaliland declared itself an independent state, but its independence was never recognised internationally and the breakaway republic continues to exist inside the borders of Somalia.

The Somaliland government wants those fleeing from Mogadishu recognised as refugees who have crossed international borders, but UN agencies and other aid organisations say the Somalis are people displaced within their own country.

UN organisations say, identifying them as refugees would be tantamount to recognising Somaliland as an independent state.

As a result, the lives of those fleeing Somalia are in limbo, with UN officials saying they can do very little to help.

Fidelis Swai, the head of UNHCR in Somaliland, said: "Unfortunately, our help is limited in terms of resources. The lasting solution for these people is for them to go back to the place that they came from or for the government here to give them land to start their homes again."

Those arriving in Hargeysa, fleeing drought, famine and war in southern Somalia, live in makeshift camps - the Somaliland government does not want any permanent structures to be built for them.

They face isolation, caught in a political dispute many of them care nothing about.

Al Jazeera

Castro   

Those arriving in Hargeysa, fleeing drought, famine and war in southern Somalia, live in makeshift camps - the Somaliland government does not want any permanent structures to be built for them.

Why not? It's not like they have to pay anything. :rolleyes:

And did any refugees from Muqdishu settle in Puntland? Or did Yey call his kinsmen to turn them back at the gates?

where the heck are they supposed to live ?

some have families i understand but most of them

don't.

i just came from hargeisa and to tell u the truth

i hate, the money runs out fast because

everything is expensive.

N.O.R.F   

A tricky situation for both the UN and SL authorities with regard to recognising them as refugees. The best must be done for them non the less.

I hope Addow goes to Burco. Mise oo kabaqaya meesha?

me   

Interesting story. We all know how it will end. The secessionist leadership and a small clique will exagerate the number refugees living in the enclave and will make a buck or two out of the peoples misery.

The refugees will get the same treatment the Somali-abo got in Hargeysa. The local clans will feel threatned and think 'their' land is being taken away, thats why we are already seeing the maamul saying that no permanent buildings can be built by/for the refugees. Anyhow I hope for the best for all the people. I know its not a nice being a refugee, those of us who have been in refugee camps in Ethiopia/Kenya/Yemen know how it is.

N.O.R.F   

^^There are also those who are being treated well. Have been employed as drivers/chefs etc. Its not all doom and gloom. Thats the news i hear from Burco anyway.

me   

^Lets hope that the warm welcome continues for the refugees sake.

Xoogsade   

If I marry a local girl from ilkacas group, shall I get to build my own permanent house? You know, since I am foreign and won't be allowed to build a permanent house. :D:D

N.O.R.F   

^^Of course you can. Laakin it will be leasehold only. The freehold must be held by a lander (your wife) :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by me:

Interesting story. We all know how it will end. The secessionist leadership and a small clique will exagerate the number refugees living in the enclave and will make a buck or two out of the peoples misery.

The refugees will get the same treatment the Somali-abo got in Hargeysa.
The local clans will feel threatned and think 'their' land is being taken away, thats why we are already seeing the maamul saying that no permanent buildings can be built by/for the refugees. Anyhow I hope for the best for all the people. I know its not a nice being a refugee, those of us who have been in refugee camps in Ethiopia/Kenya/Yemen know how it is.

Isn't that what happens in ANY part of the world, saaxib? Being a former refugee (as you claim) you should have really known that small fact. ;)

RedSea   

How long has it been...

It took many years for those refugees who related even qabiil wise who were previously displaced during the wars in late 80s to get a permanant residential area. It hasn't been even a year. I am sure they are being treated very well.

They are somalis, they speak the language, the know the customs and everything, so they won't find all that hard to familiarize with the place.

Good luck to them indeed.

....and by the way, this is your boy Stealth saying welcome home.