Sign in to follow this  
raadamiir

WHAT IS GOING ON?: U.S. TO HOLD INTERNATIONAL MEETING ON SOMALIA >>>>

U.S. to Hold International Meeting on Somalia

The Bush administration will convene an international meeting next week on political developments in Somalia, following an abrupt shift in policy this week after Islamists seized control of the Somali capital from U.S.-backed, warlord-led militias.

The formation of a "Somalia Contact Group" was announced yesterday by the State Department, which had long expressed concern inside the administration that a policy largely restricted to counter-terrorism priorities might prove counterproductive. On Wednesday, the administration indicated that it was open to discussions with the Islamists as long as they were prepared to seek a peaceful resolution and pledged not to allow Somalia to become an al-Qaeda haven.

The goal of the group's meeting, to be held in New York, is "to promote concerted action and coordination to support the Somalia transitional federal institutions, and so we are going to be working with other interested states and international organizations on this matter," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said. "We think it's the right time."

The decision to launch a multinational diplomatic initiative reflects a lack of immediately viable options in Somalia short of overt military engagement, and it appears to indicate a further resurgence of the State Department's voice in foreign policymaking under Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

McCormack said the contact group will be open to "interested parties" from governments and international organizations, and suggested that "the U.N. would want to participate in this."

A United Nations spokesman said yesterday that Washington had provided few details on the initiative but that the proposed timing coincides with the return from Somalia of Francois Lonseny Fall, the U.N. representative who met with different factions this week. Representatives from the European Union -- which also expressed interest this week in talks with the Islamists -- are expected to attend. The U.S. delegation is to be headed by the assistant secretary of state for African affairs, Jendayi E. Frazer.

A rethinking of U.S. policy was provoked by fast-moving events over the last several weeks in the chaotic country on the Horn of Africa.

Without a coherent government since 1991, and left largely to its own devices since the 1994 withdrawal of a U.S.-dominated U.N. military force, Somalia has been riven by turf wars among clan warlords and their well-armed militias. A transitional government established under U.N. auspices two years ago has proved incapable of control and was forced to retreat several months ago from Mogadishu, the capital, to Baidoa, 150 miles away.

U.S. interest in Somalia has long focused on the presumed presence there of a group of al-Qaeda operatives, believed to be led by Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, a Kenyan citizen also known as Harun Fazul. Indicted in absentia in the United States in the 1998 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Fazul was on the U.S. "Most Wanted Terrorists" list issued immediately after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Washington's concern grew over the past year with the expanding power of the Islamic Courts Union, a coalition of 11 autonomous, clan-based courts that have sought to bring order to southern Somalia through the imposition of Islamic law. As court-backed militias gradually became the country's most powerful fighting force, secular warlords who fashioned their own "anti-terror" coalition in opposition found that the Bush administration -- while officially backing the transition government in Baidoa -- was willing to provide clandestine financial support.

Although those in the Defense Department and the CIA favoring aid to the warlords prevailed, other administration officials argued that putting all U.S. support behind the warlords was unwise. The relationship between the al-Qaeda cell led by Fazul and the Islamic courts has always been unclear, said one senior official who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. "We think that there are elements within this Islamist group that are providing refuge and support to this al-Qaeda leadership, but not the Islamic courts as a whole. We don't know that, and we don't believe that," the official said.

The takeover of Mogadishu by Islamic forces Monday brought the internal debate to a head. On Tuesday, after the Islamic Courts Union leadership issued an open letter to the international community to "categorically deny and reject any accusation that we are harboring any terrorists," and declared its desire to establish peace and "a friendly relationship" with the outside world, the administration decided to extend a tentative olive branch.

Washington now hopes that a new multinational contact group can shepherd an accommodation between the Islamists and the transition government. Awad Ashara, a member of the Somali parliament, told the Reuters news agency yesterday that a meeting between the two is in the works.

"The government will in the coming days be sending cabinet members, lawmakers as well as influential traditional elders to Mogadishu," Ashara said. "They will try to achieve reconciliation between the Islamic courts and the other groups."

Although Ashara said the government hopes to "work out voluntary disarmament" between the Islamists and the warlord-led militias, reports from outside the capital indicated that the warlords are gearing up to try to retake the city.

Why is the United States so interested in Somali politics all of a sudden?

Why is the United States not supporting the Somali Government dirctly and Publicly?

Is the United States confuss when it comes to Somali politics?

If the United States Supports the Somali Government 100% what will be the outcome?

Will the United Staes lift it's Arms embargo on Somalia and the U.N's?

so what part u dont understand about us connection to our land!! believe that greed is the # policy, after that anything is possible!

but then again an olive branch is nothing but wazzup homie? i see nothing but another carnage in homeland!! internal n external!! :eek:

me   

We know the American policy in Somalia and I dont think that they will change anything at all.

All they will do is make the process of disintegration of the Somali society go faster. Don't expect anything good from them. This is all talk. They will rearm the warlords or make new warlords. The will make this government fall or just die out. They will use the Courts against the Warlords make sure that the warlords weaken the courts. They will also encourage division between the courts allong clan lines and ideological lines. ( moderate versus radical)

Their plan is the old divide and conquer. The United States is in support of Ethiopia's plan of turning Somalia into smaller weaker states that hate each other, ruled by corrupt warlords who oppress their people with Ethiopian support. You can already see this in Somaliland, Puntland and other warlord fiefdoms. The rulers of these 'states' thank their power from the suport they get from the enemy of Somalia and will do anything asked of them by their masters.

the 4.5 formula, The federal constitution, The whole idea of federal Somalia are just the tools of division used by Somalia's enemies.

Expect nothing good from The United States. Expect the worst from Ethiopia. Expect nothing but greed, corruption, ********* , hate for the Somali people and ignorance from the 'warlords' and the likes of Somaliland and Puntland.

Hold up a minute. Do not blame outsiders for our own faults/ Yes external factors were a key but, It was the Somali factions noitably the USC,SSDF and SNM that destroyed the Somali state. It was the action of the regime that enabled the nation to deteriorate.

This US meeting is a posative step, for the fisrt time the Americans are realising they need a unilateral approach. The fact that the EU, ARAB League and IGAD will participate will help the TFG. Federalisam is not the problem nor even Somaliland. The problem in Somalia is the lack of security that stems from Mogadishu, call them warlords or clan courts, once Mogadishu has a single adminstartion things will change fast...

The world needs to support the TFG. Lets wait and see what the Americans do.

me   

No my friend, You just wait and see. This matter will soon leave the headlines and their dirty work will continue. Yes we are to blame. However the Somali people are helpless againt the unslaught of the enemies of somalia (ethiopia), the united states and their warlords. The TFG facilitates and reinforces the the tribal divisions that are open to external manipulation. We are ruled by corrupt warlords (this also includes the likes of somaliland and puntland).

maybe its time we dropped these savage tribal instincts and realized we are just one tribe called Somalis.

And those supporting certain factions just because of clan affiliation. ITS THE LIKES OF YOU WHO ARE DESTROYING SOMALIA AND THE SOMALI PEOPLE.

maybe its time we dropped these savage tribal instincts and realized we are just one tribe called Somalis

We are indeed one tribe, with several clans. The problem has never been the clans, but the lack of leadership.

Lets wait and see they [uS] are desperate, the Ethiopian Tigre Jubta is also desperate. This might give us that opportunity to bring security. The fact is that we Somali's dont hate each other but the division comes from the lawlessness and the clans being law unto themselves..

me   

Don't think about their weaknesses my friend. Think about our strengths. These courts are the first Somali movement since the SYL that is fighting for the interests of the Somali people as a whole. We should not wait for our enemies to shackle us some more with a corrupt system that divides us, favours them and that will be a burden to our people for generations to come.

The United States is the problem. They were the ones funding the USC in the late 80's. So why didnt do anything about Somalia all those years? and now all of the sudden they wana be good people. My friend strong Somaliaisnot in their plans. They want Ethiopia to rule the horn of Africa. and a strong Somalia will spoil their party. So they will do anything they can to cripple us. So stop thinking for them and start thinking for us.

Xoogsade   

Me.

Duke doesn't like anything in Muqdisho if it is not coming from A/Y's side. He thinks any effort in that town which A/Y is not part of or signatory to undermines Adeerkiis. Dadka noocaan oo kale ah intay soomaalida ku dhex nool yihiin dowlad lama arkaayo. Opportunists who deny dignity and life to everyone else but to themselves. They go to any length to belittle others for personal gains. Kuwaan/dadka noocaan ah meeshay dhulka ka istaagaanba inay la go'daa fiicnaan lahayd.

me   

Millions of those people sxb on all sides of the Somali conflict. We need to engage into a dialogue with them we can not forever ignore them. They prosper when ignored. These corrupt tribalist ideas should be fought at every opportunity.

Althought I wouldnt support the 'wadaads' if there was an alternative. At this moment they are the lesser of many evils.

3 points of why I support the ICU.

1. Unitary State

2. Keeping Ethiopia at bay

3. They would reinforce social justice

A/Y had his chance he was teh president for 3 years now? What has he done for teh Somali people?

The transitional government has done nothing for us.

They couldnt even give us a nice speech to lift our spirits.

The United States will inshallahi give it's full support to the TFG than things will go very fast.

The courts will stay but they will not run the Country.

Duufaan   

I agree, U.S lost the battle in somalia second time. this time their warlods lost

let us see if they learned anything from that.

Somalia was not easy place and will never be. there no easy solution for the security problem in somalia but in otherhand somalia problem is much easier than Iraq. Because the U.S is now part of somalia problem since the end of WWII, we expect them to do right thing. we are warning U.S once more to do right thing. simply you cannot hide and you cannot plot, it will be pay back one way or another.

The court have done good job. Historic and will change things for good. moqdisho is not the "savage" place any more.

but they have problem too, the court are assosiated with indhacade and some other warlods. infact without the tribal army of indhacade the court would had very difficult to win the moqdisho war. Now the talks between the court and TNG are very important step toward peace in somalia. The time is right. The court has external and internal enemies and will not survive for long.

Abdullahi TNG is broke and luck political strategy. Abdulaahi reliazed he cannot count the west and ethiopian support, he must change the course. Time is running for both groups and need each other

Xoogsade,much like Alle Ubahane, resorts to the argument of the clan when addressing my perosn. It is to be expected since they supported and still support the factions in Mogadishu and oppose the government because of the clan. I remember Xoogsade arguing on behalf of the warlord effort when Shafif Xasan was their tool, I was taunted then as I am now. I still do not see how this will end well? The courts with Yusuf Inda CADE as their guide will never get any moral high ground.

This government has been hampered by the warlords and their cheerledres, including emotionally suspect fellows like Xoogsade, Alle Ubahane. Rememebr Sharif Xasan wasted a whole year, opposed eveything, from peace keepers to the formation of national troops. Today he is happy to do what was logical a year ago. Where are the clan fighters who supported Qaynare. They have not gone away at all. Today they are supporting their clan in the guise of a court.

So Xoogsade, your clanist views with regards to me on Mogadishu are nothing more than the echoes of Musa Sudi, Bashir Raage and Co. Who when faced with difficulty resort to insulting a certain clan..

gd! u really amazing how u jump from corner to the next!! u adapt more than bacterial germs!! u should be what they clan-flu!

its amazing how we jump to conclusions beyond wildest imagination! i mean this lil shariff boy is been in town for couple of days! what makes u think hes gonna be there next month or yr!

now here is my suggestion! hold your breath till all wanna bee warlords have there first aniversary!!

me thinks, the worst bloodshed is on the way!!