Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

i would rather fight than stay here (Kenya)

Chimera   

Dadaab Refugee Camp - Mohammed Abdi Guhad sits idly in the shade of a makeshift wooden kiosk, explaining his plan to return to Somalia and fight for the country's powerful Islamist movement.

He said: "I would rather kill than stay here doing nothing", rubbing his hands in anticipation of leaving this dusty United Nations refugee camp in northeast Kenya, where he had lived since fleeing unrest in his native land six years ago.

The 24-year-old's goal of going back to join the Islamists would send him in the opposite direction of many of his countrymen and women who were scrambling to leave Somalia for camps like this in neighbouring Kenya in record numbers.

But, as thousands crossed the border the other way fearing large-scale conflict between the Islamists and the weak government, Guhad was among a growing number of poor, young Somalis at this overcrowded camp ready to head home for combat.

Sympathisers 'returning to Somalia'

He said: "I would not need money because I would be able to take up a gun and get what I need."

Aden Mohammed, 18, who planned to take up arms for "whoever will bring peace" to Somalia after he exhausted his educational options in Dadaab next year, said: "If one has nothing to do when he is hungry, he can do anything."

It was a trend that deeply concerned aid workers who were worried that their return would fuel unrest in a nation that had been ripped asunder by 16 years of anarchy and saw parallels with Afghan refugees in camps in Pakistan a decade ago.

source