Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

THE VALUE OF PEACE

THE VALUE OF PEACE

My usual subax wanagsan (good morning) greeting from Shamis, my Somali cook was replaced by "Abdilahi Yusuf!" Still half-awake I heard her babble angrily in Somali as she prepares breakfast.

Our office driver, a former SNM fighter, greeted me with "Today I am ready for war." In the car I was filled with stories about how people reacted about the results of the elections and were told about rumors of military movements last night and the drafting of former SNM fighters. He said nationalist songs about Somaliland and the bravery shown during the fight for Somaliland's liberation were repeatedly played in the radio the whole night.

Sentiments of Somalilanders about Abdilahi Yusuf's victory are mixed. Some welcomed it for reasons that it would draw his attention away from Somaliland and focus it more to gathering support from the people from South. For others however, Abdilahi Yusuf's name only means one thing, war.

The women are quite warry about the possibility of conflict it may bring to the country. It's not because they fear defeat, because they don't believe in that but more because of the "thought of experiencing war all over again."

My day ended with a long conversation with a well respected Aqil from Togdheer. The conversation evolved around an orientation of sorts about the dynamics of Somali clan politics and stories about experiences during the war and the peace processes they conducted.

I couldn't help but ask, what made them unite and forgive each other to achieve peace. "Because we suffered and we know the meaning of suffering, we cannot imagine doing the same thing again to others and kill people because of their clan identity. It just had to stop. When you've fought against an oppressor, why allow yourself to become one?" he answered.

However Somalilanders feel at present, one common sentiment remains the same, they are tired of conflict and greatly value the peace they are currently experiencing.

By Yvette Lopez, development worker in Hargeisa.