Sign in to follow this  
lol

Journey of Patriotism

lol   

Since, I have moved to Abu Dhabi, and infact my days are very long, I have started writing out my thoughts. There is a magazine called Friday that is published every Friday, and people send their thoughts and views to. So I have turned in, this article of mine, which I hold dearly, and its gonna be published in the next Friday issue. I thought I would share it with my fellow nomads, and see their view points of it. And hopefully this time, for a change I posted it in the right archive :D .

Journey of patriotism

In life we encounter too many obstacles, that somewhat alter our original direction and focus. One such obstacle is cultural clash. The moment you set a foot on a foreign country, your ordeals and barriers begin to accrue. It could be positive as much as it is negative.

One such ordeal was indeed in store for me, when the civil war broke out in my home country Somalia. It has been 12 years since I fled home; yet, I am still struggling to adapt to the different environment, that I am forced to live in. Despite, the expansion of my worldly awareness through my refugee status, thus far, I long for home. I believe I was deprived of my birthright to my country at early age.

I embarked on my patriotism journey on September 1991, after my mother, whom I admire greatly, took up a position with the Ministry of Health in Abu Dhabi U.A.E. Shortly after our arrival, did we began to understand, the value of the citizens in this kingdom. Although, foreigners who seek, employment and stability, overrun the country, yet devotion of the government to the betterment of its citizens shines through.

After I have stayed in Abu Dhabi for seven years did my parents decide to send me to the US, for high education, since it is renown for its equality in education and opportunity. I left for the States heavy hearted in 1998 with my mother. My older sister, with joy in her eyes and great smile, welcomed us in the Dallas Airport in Virginia.

Five years have past since I got to the US, yet my insatiable thirst for my homeland still runs through my veins. I have completed my high school in a world where I was an alien. However, I focused on my goal, and worked on attaining it. Its four years since I graduated from high school yet, I have lost my focus in achieving the goal I was sent to the US for, for some unexplainable reasons.

Instead I began to observe the reflection in the eyes of our so-called hosts. They flared with rage and hatred towards our every own existence. They felt threatened by the overwhelming refugees that seem to have flooded their cities and schools. They wanted us out, by all means possible. The only thing that really stopped them from exiling us was their constitutional law, which permitted entry of immigrants into their countries.

After having seen all that and more, did I really sit down and start to question my own believes on the accounts of a homeland. There is a Somali saying, “ You enter open hearts not open doors”; by that it means, when you come to visit someone, you don’t just enter their homes without “glad to see you” look in their faces.

I have grown older as well as wiser, since the civil war in 1991. However, I am still missing the feeling that could only be felt by someone who is at peace on a land that is his/hers. Although Somalia is in ruins, and savagism still prevails everywhere, yet home is where the heart is. And my heart is in Somalia, my beloved Somalia.

Salams hibo

Thx for sharing that article with us. It rings a bell which am sure for many of us chimes a fimilar sound. Although my journey did not start @ the same point as yours, my Heart also yearns to some day return back to the place that i would be able to call home " my country ".

Through various encounters here where i reside i have come to know that this certainly isnt where the heart is, and this is certainly not where i would like to grow old.So what to do?

But like you said " Although Somalia is in ruins, and savagism still prevails everywhere,home is where the heart is. And my heart is in Somalia, my beloved Somalia. "

Time doesnt stands still For no man. And the situation in somalia am sure cannot continue indeffinately so perhaps our Journey of Patriotism may end some day, in the not too distant future Inshallah.

Blessed   

Hibo

That was a really good read. Its as though you've been reading my thoughts. After leaving Somalia at the tender age of 7, I've always been facinated by this ver issue.

Why don't we ever find comfort in forieng lands. Even when the hoste countries appeare to be welcoming, why do we always roam the earth in desperate search of that imagined 'better' world. How comes, we are treated as seconda class citizens regardless of contribution to society?

I guess, it is as the saying goes 'Haybad waxaad ku leedahay dhulkaaga hooyo' My parents have always been advicing (perhaps lecturing is a the right word) about making something out of ourselfs and taking it back to the country. To them, there was never a question of going back.

What worries me is being a foriegner in your own country.

In saying that, I am determined to get back there, if to retire at least, simply because I don't belong anywhere else.

May Allah bless us with peace ... !!

lol   

I am glad walaahi, some nomads feel like I do. And its always great to see some companions in my solo believes. I feel like an alien sometimes.. b/c of it...

Anyways Ilaahey wadankeena hanoo dajiyo... amiin.