Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

In a state of anarchy power is the measure of right

Taleexi   

Mr. Xiinfaniin,

Before I investigate in detail the economic hardship facing our people and country, allow me to shed light on where Somali economy stands in globalized world. As most of us are aware of there are some variables that are being measured and are indicators of the economic might of a nation. Nevertheless, how one can be fair, getting those figures is just beyond me, while government institutions are almost non-existent in many parts of the country. By the way, I am so tempted to address eagerly the questions raised by our chap Xiinfaniin because I believe if the economic problem of our country is been addressed, I am confident that half of our problems would have been solved.

Economy: GDP of Somalia is one of the lowest in the world. The backbone of Somali economy has been the trade of livestock, and this trade was devastated by the extension of the dry season in many parts of the country coupled with the sporadic embargoes posed by some Middle Eastern countries namely Saudi Arabia and the likes. Drought season hit hardest Togdheer, Sool, Sanaag, Nugaal , Mudug and Galgadud. There are host of other issues that are adding burden to the already our fragile economy, to name a few; Qat trade has a dual negativity of our meager economy, it sucks our hard currency and it decreases our productivity in so many ways. Qat is highly priced commodity yet it has the minimum return of return (ROR).

The instability of many parts of the country is a factor contributing to the economic impasse that we are in. Forget about the growing numbers of Internal Displaced Persons following intensified fighting in Mogadishu. To add insult to the injury, aid agencies become part of the problem. As Somalia slips into further abase Aid Agencies talk about profitability. Beggars have no choosing holds to be true here and most of the people who run these organizations wear different hats meaning their effort has dual functionality. You can’t talk about thier misdeeds as the western media will rush to the megaphones and propagate misinformations against our own interest.

Education: This is the bright side of our society since the quality of the schools was high considering in such circumstances. I was thrilled to see some high school students in Hargeisa, Bosaso, Beledweyn and in between that were well equipped and could easily compete and outsmart their counterparts regardless wherever they are on the face of the earth. The sad thing is; whoever wants to go to school can’t go because of the privatization of education establishments. For sure this will have a negative impact on our human resource down on the road as lots of genius kids are not given the opportunity they deserved. One thing I would advise you about education. Please, if you can, I know deep down you can, give a child or two or three a scholarship in your hometown or be generous and breathe life into those bright children whose dreams have been shattered regardless of their location. In this deed; its Return of Investment(ROI) is extraordinarily high.

Water: The pundits of International Security and Conflict Resolutions had predicted the next front for mankind will neither be oil nor nuclear proliferation as some predicted rather WATER shortage will be number one conflict trigger in the 21st century. As we aware of, except of Beledweyn, the places I have been are semi desert by nature and there was a long drought. These are only my rough estimation about (25-30) % drink clean water. I reached this conclusion after I observed randomly in different cities how many people, I encountered, were drinking clean/or unclean water in any given time. The marginal error of my sampling and variance were nominal.

Finally, all of my hadaltiro boils down to one thing. Unless we get some sort of security with semblance of governance I mean by strengthening the institutions of PL and SL, and somehow magically brokering a peace deal between the Resistance and the TFG and forcing Ethiopians to withdraw with the replacement of peacekeepers from friendly nations. I think we will be singing in a vacuum for some time to come.

LANDER   

Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

a reality that is hard to digest but needs to be reckoned with is; over 90% of the infrastructure of this region, be schools, hospitals, roads and so on, is what the previous Somali government had put together.

^^ So you mention this in the same paragraph where you describe your experience in Hargeisa which you dubbed as '7 lonely nights'. Did you actually leave your hotel room and survey the infrastructure? better yet, a much simpler question; If the said 'government' had built the said 'infrastructure', than that same government leveled Hargeisa in '88 and subsequently must have come back from dead to reconstruct what they had built right? How do dead men rebuild what they destroyed? Did the Ghost of Siad Barre magically repair all that was destroyed in the last 17 yrs?

This maybe going into the absurd if not outright blasphemous I realize, but I figure this would be the only way to level.

Perhaps Oodweyne is nice enough to give you a pass on some of this bull, however I'm not quite as accomodating. When I saw the title I expected a unique insight into every day life back home, you know the type we DON'T get in news documentaries or politically inclined stuff on the internet. Your visit to Mr. Omar was as close as you got to giving us some insight into life back home, but even than you didn't really describe just what you saw near the shabelle aside from stating that land in Hiiraan is fertile (I really could've googled that one). So I have to ask, when you decided to go back home, were you on a political crusade? if not, than why is there so little sensible experience in your anecdote and so much biased political rubbish. Did you go back home to reinforce your narrow-minded and previously ill conceived views?

Yup same old tired characters along the same old fences. Could you make preemptive strike, and close the topic already :D

P.S. I definitely would love to see Beled Weyne where good number of my folks were born.

^LoooooooooooL......I don't tease Ayeeyo but I gotta the feeling some old fool will be belly dancing soon enough to make MMA feel little ticklish.

P.S. Let's not hijack the post :D:D

We already had our celebration over the weekend web pageWe had fundraiser and family picnic. July 4 marka shayko kale waaye.

Budhkaaga caganta kuhayso ninyahow. Infact, aniga qori faal ah kusii lahaa.

Taleexi   

Originally posted by LANDER:

quote:Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

a reality that is hard to digest but needs to be reckoned with is; over 90% of the infrastructure of this region, be schools, hospitals, roads and so on, is what the previous Somali government had put together.

^^ So you mention this in the same paragraph where you describe your experience in Hargeisa which you dubbed as '7 lonely nights'. Did you actually leave your hotel room and survey the infrastructure? better yet, a much simpler question; If the said 'government' had built the said 'infrastructure', than that same government leveled Hargeisa in '88 and subsequently must have come back from dead to reconstruct what they had built right? How do dead men rebuild what they destroyed? Did the Ghost of Siad Barre magically repair all that was destroyed in the last 17 yrs?

This maybe going into the absurd if not outright blasphemous I realize, but I figure this would be the only way to level.

Perhaps Oodweyne is nice enough to give you a pass on some of this bull, however I'm not quite as accomodating. When I saw the title I expected a unique insight into every day life back home, you know the type we DON'T get in news documentaries or politically inclined stuff on the internet. Your visit to Mr. Omar was as close as you got to giving us some insight into life back home, but even than you didn't really describe just what you saw near the shabelle aside from stating that land in Hiiraan is fertile (I really could've googled that one). So I have to ask, when you decided to go back home, were you on a political crusade? if not, than why is there so little sensible experience in your anecdote and so much biased political rubbish. Did you go back home to reinforce your narrow-minded and previously ill conceived views?

"Dhankaan ka hadlay waa kaa LANDER dhaafay hadalkiiye"

Dear Mr. Lander,

Relatively speaking the private sector in this part of the country is booming, for instance privately own sky rises, fantastic resorts, telecommunication, schools and so on. The big question is whom should the credit be given?. to the current admin. or to the public... I guess the answer is clear.

In addition, in terms of scalability the current SL admin's contributions to the infrastructure is small fraction if compared with what last government left behind. Think about the major roads, schools, the port...Lander! just for a moment, for the sake of a healthy discussion, think outside the box and admit the shortcomings of your assertions.

Taleexi   

Thanks Al Burcaawi. I stopped in Buroa for a lunch and to your surprise I bought a fantastic club (Budh) as Buroa is the home of the finest CLUBS you can find. smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Yeah right. I would hazard a guess you were armed to the teeth beforehand just cos you were going to drive along that road :D

On a serious note, visiting is always a humbling experience.

NASSIR   

Dear Mansa,

It was nice of you to share with us this report. I know ordinary lives struggle everyday to make ends meet, but how do people put so much faith and hope into the future of Somalia. Is Puntland the right vehicle to that dream of a united Somalia?

I listened to BBC's interview with Rage Omar and he mentioned that our biggest problem is the absence of a leadership with integrity and vision.

In other words, Leaders who will "serve a cause greater than self-interest" as John McCain always puts in his campaign speeches.