Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Somalia Govt Reverses Press Ban!

NGONGE   

^^^ :D

Somaliland is a different kettle of fish. I support any people’s right to self determination. However, personally (maybe because I did not live in Somaliland in its darkest hours) would prefer it if they joined the Republic of Somalia. With everything being equal I believe that it would be foolish to separate. However, as you and I know nothing is equal here. It’s all a total mess, disorder and chaos.

Nothing is impossible however. But it all has to come from the Somaliland people. If the rest of Somalia is peaceful and prosperous. If they (the Somalilanders) see they no longer have anything to worry about. If they lose faith in their own politicians’ ability to deliver recognition. If they put peaceful existence (as they’ve done throughout the past sixteen years) over pride and conflict, then they might become receptive to the abhorrent idea of a union.

What’s important to me here is peace, mutual respect and dignity. The rest (patriotism, independence, mistrust, etc) are all concepts that come and go.

Still, if I had to guess, I would say that such a thing is not very likely to happen anytime soon (maybe even never). The conditions are too numerous. The people hostile (to the idea). And the chances for recognition are still fifty/fifty.

^ Your being very generous with 50/50 possibilty of recognition. The likelyhood of a stable Somalia with peace and reconstruction are even more so the pitfall of Somaliland concept. The best chance of recogntion was in the past when for 16 years much of Somalia proper was in utter chaos. If those achievements (North West region are not anymore safe then the rest of Somalia) are not visible, then it is simply knocking on door that will never be open.

However I do agree. The notion that hostility between the people of Northwest and the rest of Somalia are still present are no different then a Puntlander and Xamarawi having difficulties with each other. If the latter can come to an agreement surely the former is bound to be back one way or another.

Liibaan   

NG,

It seems that the overwhelming majority of those that reject this government hail from the capital and, not surprisingly, the vast majority of those cheerleading and voicing their support hail from Puntland! Could this really be a simple coincidence?

Just like TFG,

If we look at the issue of the secession and Hergeysa-based-admin, the reality is the overwhelming majority of those cheerleading and voicing their support hail from Northwest (mainly Hergeysa), and the vast majority of those that reject the secession and Hergeysa-based-admin hail from Sool, Sanaag, and Cayn[buuhoodle]

Could this really be another a simple coincidence? as you hinted :D

I support any people’s right to self determination.

But where it will stop? when Northwest, Sool, Buuhoodle, caynabo all demand self-determination

Good principle, regions can have some form of autonomy without seceding

Secession will create more problem within North Somalia, Somalia, horn Africa, and Africa at large, its like opening Pandora box, if Northwest is recognized, consequently Awdal, Sool, Sanaag, buuhoodle from togdheer, canabo from sool, ceelafweyn from sanaag, puntland, hiiraan will all seek recognition

would prefer it if they joined the Republic of Somalia.

Welcome on board, it’s the best and wise choice in the age of globalization, even nation-state/nationalism is diminishing(a concept of 18-20 century), let alone tribal-feithdom/tribalism (a concept of stone age)

What’s important to me here is peace, mutual respect and dignity. The rest (patriotism, independence, mistrust, etc) are all concepts that come and go.

Makes sense, we need peace foremost, everything else is secondary, What Somali people need most is peace and some kind of rule of law presently, Somali people at least should reach the level of development of third world, Today Somalia belongs to category of failed nations

And the chances for recognition are still fifty/fifty.

Unfortunately, you not realistic the chances for recognition are its 0.00001%