Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

Player of the decade

Who is your Player of the decade: - 1994-2004

In Soccernet, they asked their readers to vote for the player of the decade which was won by Zizzou. to my astonishment, they had Eric Cantona as number two? :eek: Not takin anything away from Cantona..but seriously was he that good, better than Ronaldo??

So indulge us and tell us who is your player of the decade??

Viking   

Anyone who's been watching football the last decade would without a doubt say Zinedine Zidane! In that period (1994-2004) he won the...

- World Cup (1998)

- European Cup (2000)

- Italian League (1997, 1998)

- Champions League (2001)

- Spanish League (2002)

- World Player of the Year (1998, 2000 & 2003)

...all in style!

SoMa_InC   

Zinedine Zizzou Zidane is the name of the decade. No doubt!!

I surely think that Eric Cantona is over-rated. I wonder why Manchester United fans call him a Legend. I think that is an insult to the word ''Legend'' it self.

Why dont they see players like Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole to be Legends? Remember there goals were the reason why Manchester United won the Treble in the first place. How did Sir Alex repay them? By forcefully kicking their *** out of the club.

N.O.R.F   

For me Zinadine Zidane is the man no doubt!

As for soccernet (an english website i think) its only natural for ppl to think of the premiership as the standard bearer is world football. The English dont know football.

Eric Cantona was a legend in the sense that he was the pivitol force behind the revival of Man Utd into an un-stoppable force again. He went there in 92 (just after winning the old first division with Leeds Utd) and steered Utd to the title and many more. When he was anned for 8 months for that Karate kick, Man Utd fell from the top and lost the title to Blackburn Rover in 95. Before he retired he took Utd to 2 CL Semis and they were unlucky in those ties.

Now, to really make this topic more interesting, the best player for each position should be chosen. Anyone who objects should identify any weaknesses in the player and not just 'waan sanifey'!

Goal Keeper

Right Back

Left Back

Centre Back (or best duo)

Right Wing

Left Wing

Centre Mid (or best duo)

Striker (or best duo)

In my opinion, the midfield containing Zidane, Davids and Nedved (and Zambrotta) was the best. They may not have won the CL but those guys slaughtered teams and ate them for breakfast in Seria A.

Best keeper is Oliver Khan without a doubt.

Best right back is Cafu no doubt.

Best left back Maldini/Carlos (Ashly Cole at the moment)

Right Wing is a tough one,,,,,,

Left Wing is probably Pavel Nedved even though he is not your traditional left winger. Ryan Giggs is a close 2nd.

Striker is very very tough, i will have to think on that one and start an elimination process.

I hope Sujui reads this and replies, i know he reads SOL now and again. Warya waan ku-araa. Come on Mr Seria A.