Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Books on Somali politics and history

I have to admit that my knowledge of the Somali situation is less than minimal, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any books on the subject. Anything about history, politics or social studies of Somalia would be great. Or anything else you might think is relevant.

Obviously the title, author, and edition would be great, thanks.

If you have any links to online bookstores, that would even be better, but not necessary of course.

Online sources are welcome too, but I'd prefer books.

Thank you. smile.gif

Xoogsade   

Xu, You are better off not reading anything and keeping your awareness of the current somali situation to that minimum level. You are not missing anything to be honest with you Xu.

Just hope that things eventually work for Somalis and they come together for the good of their country and of their people. That is all that matters in my opinion smile.gif

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

Just hope that things eventually work for
Somalis
and they come together for the good of
their
country and of their people. That is all that matters in my opinion
smile.gif

Am I to assume that you're not Somali? It would explain why u seem like the stallion among the horses. :D

XU... Same here girl, only I prefer it this way. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Xoogsade   

Waryaa Dude , Sorry bro, My "Oh brother" comment was towards what the writer said about Somalis of being "Proudest, vainest, difficult, merciless". It seems their qualities are not meant for cohesion and co-existence but for perpetual aggression. That is what came to my mind as I read the comment.

Seven of Nine

Thanks ;)

Baashi   

Xu,

I recommend you to read (with critical eye and skeptical mind) the book titled “Modern history of Somalia†written in early 60s and revised in late 80s by I. M. Lewis, the English Orientalist. I find this book informative.

I must congratulate you in your effort to further your horizon. As they say, more you read (right stuff of course) more informed and knowledgeable you become. I would rather read the primary sources myself and be informed that way on the current events back home beyond its surface appearances instead of relying on innuendos, rumors, propaganda, revisionist history, etc. presented as facts. Informed folks tend to see the big picture.

Xoogsade,

You remind me the black folk who used to say, “don’t go in there†fearing that once the facts are laid out in objective manner, he will be in a position to make better judgment on the issue under discussion. I don’t see how “knowing†more about your own country is a bad thing. For one thing, knowing "things" is not how folks are corrupted. On the contrary, it is when you don’t have a clue on the history and past political trends of whatever country that you are interested in knowing more about, that you indeed form uninformed and distorted opinion.

Xoogsade   

Bro Baashi, I thought Xu might be corrupted by reading some biased book who rants and raves about some somali segments as is the usual with these political books. She seems to have a heart that is not tainted with prejudice, and I wanted her to keep it that way, hence, my advice to her to stay incommunicado about the whole madness. Somali politics are not for everyone.

By staying out of the political/tribal insanity, One is enabled to maintain their original SELF who likes and respects every somali regardless of tribal affliation whereas THOSE WHO GET INVOLVED TOO DEEP become selective in their discussion, trust, and openness towards Some other Somalis. So why bother? smile.gif

Baashi   

Xoogsade,

Sxb you making too many assumptions. For one you assuming that "knowing" the facts and getting "informed" about the events are equivalent to getting involved or taking part of the negative business that tribalist are engaged in.

You are also understimating Xu's intelligence and her judgment since you are protecting her from knowing the real world events. Nevertheless, your point is well taken. It is true that Somali politics is not for everyone. It is also true that there are so many biased websites that spit distorted revisionist history and unless one is doubly vigilant one is likely to fall in their traps.

This is pricesly why you should encourage her to embark a fact-finding mission and trust her intellect to form balanced view and unbiased judgment based on the facts once she reads about her home country.

Why bother? She is not getting into the mess. She is merely trying to understand the root cause of all of this mayhem. Nothing wrong with that methinks smile.gif

I thought Xu might be corrupted by reading some biased book who rants and raves about some somali segments as is the usual with these political books. She seems to have a heart that is not tainted with prejudice, and I wanted her to keep it that way, hence, my advice to her to stay incommunicado about the whole madness. Somali politics are not for everyone.

You good sir, seem mistake me for the average Daily Mail reader. icon_razz.gif

I thank you for your concern nonetheless, but you shouldn't worry. I'm good at making my own mind up, that's why I'm asking for books on a variety of subjects, instead of something like Somalia for dummies. smile.gif

Why bother? She is not getting into the mess. She is merely trying to understand the root cause of all of this mayhem. Nothing wrong with that methinks

That's exactly right, thanks. smile.gif

Thank you Waryaa Dude and Baashi for your recommendations, I'll check them out as soon as God gives me the chance.

Xoogsade   

XU, I find your little knowledge and unawareness to be good and healthy for a good reason although others have disagreed with me. But anyway, good luck with your read.

Baashi

I thought If we can sum up the root cause of the problem in One word, should there be a need for reading a book about it? That is where I departed from in giving the advice. And I wasn't underestimating Xu's intelligence but was rather concerned for her as she correctly understood.