Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Salman Rushdie Honoured

Bombay born author Salman Rushdie has been honoured with a Sainthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

A spokesman said the prize had been awarded in recognition of pissing off Iran's spiritual leader, Ayatollah "Ali-the-Nuke" Khamenei, who famously issued a fatwa against him in 1989 for shopping in Marks and Spencer.

Rushdie who was educated in Rugby admits that his academic career was far from illustrious. "My best subject was colouring in", he said.

A former member of Cambridge Footlights theatre company, he now writes children's books.

Saint Salman expressed no surprise at his recognition and said, "I am sure my loan to the Labour Party had nothing to do with it".

Source

The one who laughs last laughs longest. He should be grateful he is still alive and repent to his Maula. The sentence still stands. and what a pack of lies @issued a fatwa for shopping in M&S.

This europeans aka chrisitians are unbeleivable.I wonder how they would have reacted if such honour would have been given to the likes of Osama Bin Ladin or Talibaan "those who fight for Islam".

Just to show ppl the hypocracy of those so called westerns ,,,,, how many people are more quilified than this gaal and they still insist to honor him ,,,,,,,,,

Seems it not fictitious after all.

JB, choose your sources well pls -spoof is all about jokes and pun. My apologies to you.

Iran condemns British title for author Rushdie By Fredrik Dahl

Sun Jun 17, 12:16 PM ET

Iran accused Britain on Sunday of insulting Islamic values by knighting Salman Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" prompted the late Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to issue a fatwa death warrant against him.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said Rushdie, awarded the knighthood for services to literature in Queen Elizabeth's birthday honours list published on Saturday, was "one of the most hated figures" in the Islamic world.

Spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini portrayed the decision as an act directed against Islam by Britain, which is among world powers involved in an escalating standoff with Iran over Tehran's disputed nuclear ambitions.

"Honouring and commending an apostate and hated figure will definitely put the British officials (in a position) of confrontation with Islamic societies," Hosseini said.

"This act shows that insulting Islamic sacred (values) is not accidental. It is planned, organised, guided and supported by some Western countries," he told a regular briefing.

SOURCE

I was going to post Iran's reaction too ,,, thanks for doing it.

I'm wondering why it is Iran only that is speaking about the issue ,,,, what happened to the Saudis and other Muslim countries ???

what happened to the Saudis and other Muslim countries ???

^^They are still sleeping, it will take time for them to open their eyes until all the good fantasies from the west suddenly end.

talking about writers, this man deserved an award.

Nigeria author wins Booker honour

Chinua Achebe is the most translated African author

Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has won the Man Booker International Prize in honour of his literary career.

Achebe is best known for his 1958 debut novel Things Fall Apart, which sold more than 10 million copies.

The 76-year-old, who was paralysed from the waist down after a car accident in 1990, beat writers including Ian McEwan and Salman Rushdie to the honour.

SOURCE

That is the hypocracy i'm talking about ,,,,, the british are far far behind to understand the truth ,,,,

Before they gave him a shelter and protection ,,, and now AWARDS ??

NGONGE   

Awards that Rushdie has won include the following:

· Booker Prize for Fiction

· James Tait Black Memorial Prize (Fiction)

· Arts Council Writers' Award

· English-Speaking Union Award

· Booker of Bookers or the best novel among the Booker Prize winners for Fiction

· Prix du Meilleur Livre Etranger

· Whitbread Novel Award (twice)

· Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award for Children's Fiction

· Kurt Tucholsky Prize (Sweden)

· Prix Colette (Switzerland)

· State Prize for Literature (Austria)

· Author of the Year (British Book Awards)

· Author of the Year (Germany)

· Mantua Prize (Italy)

· Premio Grinzane Cavour (Italy)

· Hutch Crossword Fiction Prize (India)

· India Abroad Lifetime Achievement Award (USA)

· Outstanding Lifetime Achievement in Cultural Humanism (Harvard University)

Aristeion Prize (European Union)

Source

Though he shamelessly milked all the publicity surrounding the Iranian fatwa, as a writer, the man has always been a good one. I think the knighthood is based on that more than the fatwa itself.

ps

Expecting Sophist to come any minute now with his girly rants. :D

pps

Strike that. Laas canood shaqo ku ma leh :D:D

NGONGE   

^^ I wouldn't recommend any. Why help him make more money. smile.gif

But if you can borrow or steal a book, why not try Midnight's Children! It's not a bad read.

Inshallah, will try to see if our library has it in stock.

Just finished my first Nuruddin Farah's Novel- Knots enjoyed it actually,(my second novel written by a Somali- 1st experience was with Waris Dirie) rich literacy and the heroine was highly prized.

NGONGE   

^^ I've been looking for one of his books (not hard enough I admit) and couldn't find any.

Wasn't the Waris Dirie's book just a load of lies and exaggerated facts?

Ibtisam   

^^^I liked her books, I think I've read two of them, or maybe three.

I was thinking i might read Rushdi's book (the one that caused the outrage) this summer, Ngonge try waterstones, you can order it in (2days)

This book was signed by him when he visited Toronto. There is no Nuruddin Farah books in my locality.Save this one a present.

When I first read her Book(Desert flower) I couldnt beleive what she wrote. Met people with a somewhat similar stories. Cant judge her as in was the book really depicting her life. All I can say instead of making me proud, she failed me as a Somali woman. I felt unworthy and non existant in this world. So Im not planning 2 pick up any of her other books unless Im very desperate- no book around or anything to busy my eyes with.