Maaddeey

Somali gunmen attack Kenyan border town

Maaddeey   

HomeNews News

Somali gunmen attack Kenyan border town

Rating

By SATURDAY NATION Correspondent

Posted Friday, April 16 2010 at 21:09

Suspected members of Somalia’s Al-Shabaab militias have for the second time this month raided Kenya’s border town of Liboi.

The heavily armed gunmen barricaded and attacked several positions within the remote settlement, some 18km from Somalia’s porous-ragged border, witnesses told Saturday Nation.

Northeastern provincial commissioner James ole Serian could not be reached for comment. The gunmen stormed two local hotels and a number of business premises during a two-hour raid.

Several shots

According to residents, the gunmen were not confronted by the Kenyan forces who were reportedly manning the border at the time.

“It was shortly after 1am when the gunmen raided our town, they have attacked several places, including Ali-arif and Abdi-adoon hotels,” a witness told us on phone from Liboi Town.

“They have fired several shots; however, there were no casualties and there was destruction of property,” he added. The gunmen left behind a bomb and ammunition.

Early this month, Al-Shabaab fighters attacked a contingent of General Service Unit near the Kenya-Somalia border. Kenya has thousands of troops on the border.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Somali%20gunmen%20attack%20Kenyan%20border%20town%20/-/1056/900848/-/6r ijyr/-/

Paragon   

“It was shortly after 1am when the gunmen raided our town, they have attacked several places, including Ali-arif and Abdi-adoon hotels,” a witness told us on phone from Liboi Town.

----

Oh no. This is bad news for reer Libooye. It's going back to the bad old days when they use to endure nightly raids. In 2007 I spent 3 nights in Ali Arif's lodging and I actually slept under the stars because of the good level of security. I know Ali Arif in person - a friend of my old man (AUN). In fact I really loved my visit to Libooye and I am actually thinking of going back there next year to renovate some houses the family owned there. Now with Al-Shabaab in Dhoobleey, it's forget about both places.

Al-Shabaab is bad news.

Horta nimanku do they have anything against building/renovating mosques in that area? And the school and madrassa? I'm sure the madrassa would be forced to teach their agenda. :D

What's their policy on that, Maaddeey?