Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

US Press Release On the Visit of Somaliland Delegation

Press Statement

Sean McCormack, Spokesman

Washington, DC

January 20, 2008

Visit of Somaliland Delegation

A high-level delegation from Somaliland, led by President Dahir Kahin Rayale, departed Washington January 19 after an eight-day visit. While here, the delegation met with senior officials of the State Department, U.S. Agency for International Development, Department of Defense, and National Security Council staff, among others. This cordial and constructive visit demonstrated U.S. engagement with Somaliland in furtherance of our common interests in the areas of regional peace and security, economic development, and democratic reform.

2008/041

Released on January 20, 2008

A.J.   

I though this kind of evidence showing that Riyaale was received by the State Department, was what the doubters of the visit were looking for. i guess they went running once it was actually found.

Thankful   

Nope, those pictures with the cab drivers standing infront of the black cars at the airport were bogus(which never showed Riyaale), he went to museums and other tours with no guides! No mention of him on the state department website. And when they did mention Somaliland they basically told you that your trip was pointless and we aren't changing our minds!!!

Thankful   

Lol, like I said before I slightly admire your obsession. Take the press release however you want, but I think this is the first time both sides of debate are satisfied.

Thankful   

All you have to do is check out the different websites....No TFG supporters are protesting the state departments announcement. On the other hand wiht you guys???

Somaliland.org

Mr President I know its a bit out of line sending you a letter through this way but its the only way I think I might get in touch with you.I know you have advisors and so on but I doubt if any are any good or are simply too afraid to point this out to you but I think you should know this.

I have seen over the years the numerous visits or so that you have undertaken to different nations around the world and on each visit I seem to have noticed that you have taken your wife Huda Barkhad along with you.Just to illustrate my point if one looks through the pictures associated with your most recent trip to the UK and USA she is right there among the delegates in almost all the pictures.Now I do not wish to dwell on the cost of taking her along with you but the point I wish to make is simple.Nearly all state visits by any president means the first lady is there as well but in your case you are the president of an unrecognized nation which does not make your visit an official state visit.

Moreover half the people you meet on your visits are technocrats or low level political appointees and as such dragging the missus with you is really a waste.On your US trip I also noticed from the pictures online your lunch with the undersecretary of State at the State department, she was sitting next to you.Now I seriously doubt if any of the people you met had their spouses with them and as such there was no need to have taken her.Even the most educated stay home mum in America would rather be home watching tv then to be with their husbands in a meeting.Secondly that whole experience I believe is what they call a working lunch in America.Instead you should have sent her on a sightseeing trip around the beautiful DC area or to one of the many malls in Virginia while you and your ministers discussed matters of importance to our nation. Eventhough your visit to the US can not be called a state visit however if you think it was then I believe that is what other presidents wives do while their husbands are busy with matters of state.

As far as the meeting you had with the Somaliland community in Arlington, Virginia I again think she should not have been there.Normally in meetings like that where there is a question and answer session there is moments where someone could say the wrong thing and as far as our Somali culture goes its wrong in to reprimand a man infront of his wife.Therefore if you think its very important to take your wife along make sure you pick the moments when she should be around and when she should be sightseeing….

Abdi Ibrahim

Columbus,Ohio

Also,

somliland.org