Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Some Guidelines for the Politics Section

Laba-X   

We don’t want to hear what other websites say – we want to hear your views! Stop hiding behind other people’s words and post your own. It would really great if you just post your opinions and your thoughts rather than copying and pasting entire contents of websites to fill up the pages. These will most likely NOT be read by anyone. If you wish, quote a passage and then paste the link at the bottom.

Stop being sentimental – attacking the person rather the argument they put forward simply discredits you for good and shows lack of reasoning skills and knowledge. be careful of this for it often leads to an ignominious end!

Trivial arguments – don’t just argue for the sake of arguing, bring forth some reasoning and analysis that forwards the debate rather than spin it in eternal circles of ambiguity.

Prove it! – many people have no basis for most of the allegations they make and when asked for proof for these baseless accusations would simply vanish and wait for the topic to be buried. These persons are mostly inconsistent in their pitiful appeals.

Selective Reading - choosing to read one part of a person’s post and refuting that only point and negating any other points raised, demonstrates some weakness in your counter-argument. It is pathetic.

And last but not least – Debate, don’t discuss! – this is not your local restaurant or Marfish!

me   

I agree, these should be the new guidelines of the Politics section.

Debating not arguing.

Laba Xiniinyood, maanta waa maalintii aad tustay inaad laba xiniinyood leedahey. Waayo, wax caqli ah baad ku hadashay and I whole heartly agree with you. Bless you brotha man.

I think we should all be following the above guidelines proposed by our dear brother balls.

We should all be leading by example, starting with myself. We are not children, and this isn't kinder-garden and we shouldn't have to be on each other's throat's constantly, even thought at times its fun. Some of you take it to another level and for that reason alone, I think we should stop this constant pickering altogether.

Yes, we know some of you members sole purpose in life is giving your all to your tribe, but there is nothing anyone in here can do to change it, its you who have to live with the guilt of innocent women and children being tortured by those you look upto. You have to live with that and answer ti allah.

Admin, if you are the reasonable man you are known to me, I think you sould seriously consider adding some of these guidelines that were put forward by our brother...one specific one is:-

We don’t want to hear what other websites say – we want to hear your views! Stop hiding behind other people’s words and post your own. It would really great if you just post your opinions and your thoughts rather than copying and pasting entire contents of websites to fill up the pages. These will most likely NOT be read by anyone. If you wish, quote a passage and then paste the link at the bottom.

At the same time, we the readers and contributors of SOL shouldn't have to put up with reading trashy articles from trashy-tribal sites. I'm a member and I shouldn't have to come in here and read a note from a MOD telling me and the rest of you that if we don't like the trash being posted, we shouldn't read it all. This is our site as much as it is of Duke, but just because Duke continously posts trash, with nothing of value to add to, doesn't mean we have to take it.

Laba-X   

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

We don’t want to hear what other websites say – we want to hear your views!
Stop hiding behind other people’s words and post your own. It would really great if you just post your opinions and your thoughts rather than copying and pasting entire contents of websites to fill up the pages. These will most likely NOT be read by anyone. If you wish, quote a passage and then paste the link at the bottom.

Stop being sentimental
– attacking the person rather the argument they put forward simply discredits you for good and shows lack of reasoning skills and knowledge. be careful of this for it often leads to an ignominious end!

Trivial arguments
– don’t just argue for the sake of arguing, bring forth some reasoning and analysis that forwards the debate rather than spin it in eternal circles of ambiguity.

Prove it!
– many people have no basis for most of the allegations they make and when asked for proof for these baseless accusations would simply vanish and wait for the topic to be buried. These persons are mostly inconsistent in their pitiful appeals.

Selective Reading
- choosing to read one part of a person’s post and refuting that only point and negating any other points raised, demonstrates some weakness in your counter-argument. It is pathetic.

And last but not least –
Debate, don’t discuss!
– this is not your local restaurant or Marfish!

I think not many people have read this, so...

well stated by Lazy oo..

one more thing LXXX.

Honesty... Be honest with your conscience when you write. What this means is that don't always gloss, and be as ready to admit the failings of your position as you are when boasting it's virtues.

No political ideology, doctrine or side is clean and benevolent -- by definition, having a side means denying another group its interests, therefore politics is always a game of interests, and being accepting and upfront with those shows that your understand the consequences of your choices for others, and it makes it clear to your opponent that you ave at least though about their position.

Though i wish it wern't the case, [and this goes to the forum generals] it would be dishonest to say that political affiliation and identity are not tied in the majority of cases. You will always find some group that undermines your interests for good or bad, as you will always find some group whose interests you undermine. This is fine, it is politics, but in order to find consensus you must at least be willing the accept these penalties or at least be willing to acknowledge them.. screaming at the top of your voice is like barking at a wall, it makes no difference.

So in short, place yourself in the shoes of other and remember that dialogue is based on compromise and compromise starts with honesty.

^ I disagree with you AJ.

Just because "90%" have broken the rules, and I included, as well as yourself, doesn't mean its right.

The reason why we are the way we are, and I mean all of somalida, is because we can never acknowledge were we went wrong, much less accept it for what it is, instead we continue to blame anyone but ourselves, hence (90% don't follow the rule, so what is the point?")

The point Laba Xiniinyo and caano and myself are making is, you don't have to do or accept wrong, just because majority are doing it. You lead by an example and others shall follow.

I will end it by saying, AJ, take the time to reflect on your actions, not that of others.

A.J.   

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

^ I disagree with you AJ.

Just because "90%" have broken the rules, and I included, as well as yourself, doesn't mean its right.

The reason why we are the way we are, and I mean all of somalida, is because we can never acknowledge were we went wrong, much less accept it for what it is, instead we continue to blame anyone but ourselves, hence (90% don't follow the rule, so what is the point?")

The point Laba Xiniinyo and caano and myself are making is, you don't have to do or accept wrong, just because majority are doing it. You lead by an example and others shall follow.

I will end it by saying, AJ, take the time to reflect on your actions, not that of others.

Layziegirl,

is this your way of attacking me for something i may have said before :confused:

Anyway i am not saying that the rules should be abandoned, what i am saying is that if you are going to have them, they need to be enforced.

Obviously if you seen something in the way i act, and if that upsets you, let me know.