Sign in to follow this  
Armchair Politician

Mapping Somalia: North Somalia, First Pass

NASSIR   

Here is what I did, I saved the link on my desktop and then downloaded on this link.

it is quite accurate altho I would like that you expand Maakhir little bit.

northsomalia1.jpg

Armchair Politician: I love it pal...

As far as professionalism goes, this is very proficient cartography; I carefully checked the latitudes and longitudes of the boundaries, and it seems accurate. I would make the fonts stronger to be comprehensible.

Caamir: I agree with you on expansion part…….

Caamir & Koora-Tuunshe,

Which areas would you say Maakhir should be extended into? In my discussions in regards to the status of Ceerigaabo, it was clear that Somaliland controlled the territories east of the city at least as far as Midisho, making Ceerigaabo inside Somaliland territory.

Western Bari is difficult to determine. Puntlanders I have talked to insist that Carmo for instance is still part of Puntland.

^^^Adeer, the Makhir/Puntland divide is not that important nor paramount. Your map excludes Ceerigabo from the Makhir/Puntland area, and gives it exculsively to SL, also Cayn is missing from Toghdeer. These are important areas, since they seperate Unity and Secessionist claims.

The Duke,

Puntland, Somaliland and Maakhir all claim territories they do not control. Often the same territory is claimed by all three, such as Sanaag.

I have chosen to draw in the borders as the actual line of control, or at least attempt to do so. This does not mean for instance that Ceerigaabo is not politically important to Maakhir, as it is the administrative seat of their Sanaag province.

For instance Puntland and Somaliland both claim to administer Sool and Cayn, yet the armies are piled up on opposite sides of Adhicadeeye. Many could argue in fact that Puntland stops at Garoowe, and noone but the local people control the land from there to Adhicadeeye, where Somaliland administration begins.

These are all issues that will require deeper investigation and thought.

^^^I understand and applaud your logic. You divided the city of Galkacyu between Galmudug/Puntland, thus why not divide Ceerigabo also.

As for control, CAYN's main towns are under Puntland control as well as all the major towns in SOOL including the capital.

You should use one standard, for example if just claiming an area as Galmaudug & Makhir is fine then Ceerigabo & Cayn should not be part of SL.

The Duke,

I have looked over the evidence in Cayn, and it is clear for instance that the Puntland-Somaliland border is at Bohoodle, so this at least will be changed. The difficulty is it is also at Adhicadeeye, significantly to the east. So which towns in between Adhicadeeye and Bohoodle belong to each side?

In regards to western Bari, it is difficult to determine which claims of Maakhir are "idle claims" or "controlled claims". For instance Carmo, Maakhiri or Puntlander?

For Ceerigaabo I may need to do a "west Berlin" situation, where east Ceerigaabo is a little "island" of Maakhiri control, as the area between definitely appears to be Somaliland territory. Perhaps it is connected via the southeast, but more investigation is needed.