Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Saddam to be HANGED

I learned not to watch anyone’s execution, after i watch the beheading of one of the Americans, i forgot his name. But i think i don’t have the stomach to handle it.

But from the picture his executioner is covering his face and head why?

I bet he is an American.

All involved in the execution are shi'ites, or so they would have us believe.

They're wearing balaclavas because of fear of reprisal from the Sunni insurgency. Cowards, craven who would abuse a man about to die behind masks.

I'd actually advise you to watch the execution, to get a real sense of what the world is about.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Castro:

^ You just added the warning.
:D

Nothing is purely Iraqi today. And, unfortunately, the Americans are
both here
and
there (and everywhere in between).

True. But in the case of Saddam I think it was the Iraqis that wanted to kill him. Actually I bet the Americans would have tried to stop them and try to go through due process and all that.

I think the Iraqis in charge noticed how things are never getting better in Iraq and were scared that Saddam, if he stayed alive, might come back to haunt them.

Castro   

^ Perhaps. Though I strongly believe that many of these "milestone" events occurring in Iraq (often conveniently scheduled on weekends and prime time TV slots in the west) are for domestic western consumption.

No one can doubt the desire of many Shiica to kill Saddam but after the kangaroo trial he went through, the almost laughable "appeal" process and the unprecedented rapid hanging, one is hard pressed to give the Americans any benefit of doubt.

Ma caleyna.

bilan   

Originally posted by Captain Xalane:

Did u also see how he smiled at them when they said ''muqtada muqtada'',then he said some thing in arabic..

he said "Heya hay il marjala…?"=Is this your manhood…?".

How did this serve the Iraqi people. Ruthless killer murdered by equally ruthless vigilantes with little or no regard for the law and the basic human decency. At the least, the Yanks could have monitored the execution, and made sure it was carried out properly.

Hanging of Saddam's aides filmed

Barzan Ibrahim

Iraqi officials said Barzan's beheading was an accident

Iraqi government officials have shown journalists video of the hanging of two of Saddam Hussein's aides, during which one of the men was decapitated.

The film shows Barzan Ibrahim - Saddam Hussein's half-brother - and Awad Hamed al-Bandar hanged side-by-side.

Barzan, former intelligence chief, and al-Bandar, former head of Iraq's Revolutionary Court, were convicted over the killing of 148 Shias in 1982.

The BBC's Andrew North in Baghdad says the video first shows both men being prepared for execution standing next to each other.

They were both dressed in orange boiler suits.

Executioners in balaclavas placed hoods round both men's heads, then the noose.

A short while later the footage, which is silent, shows both men fall.

Almost immediately the rope that was round Barzan's neck flicks upwards, the body dropping below.

The cameraman then shows the pit below and a headless body, bloodied at the neck and what officials say was Barzan's head still covered by a hood.

Al-Bandar's body was still hanging above, said one official who was present at the execution.

Our correspondent says officials say they are not planning to release the footage publicly.

Both men's bodies are reported to have been flown to Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit, 180 km (110 miles) north of Baghdad, for burial.

'No taunts'

Witnesses said Barzan and al-Bandar were shaking with fear as they approached the gallows.

One of those present, public prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi, told the BBC that when the trap door opened, he could only see Barzan's rope dangling.

Executed judge's case

Obituary: Barzan al-Tikriti

"I thought the convict Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti had escaped the noose. I shouted that he's escaped the noose, go down and look for him. I went down a few steps ahead of the others to see: I found out that his head had separated from his body."

The hangings took place at 0300 (0000 GMT), apparently in the same building in north Baghdad where Saddam Hussein was put to death on 30 December.

The manner of the former Iraqi leader's execution drew international criticism after unofficial mobile phone footage showing him being taunted and insulted in his final moments was released.

Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said there were no such scenes at the hanging of his aides.

Mixed reaction

The BBC's world affairs correspondent Mike Wooldridge says reaction in Baghdad to Barzan and al-Bandar's executions has been mixed.

He says residents of Baghdad's largest Shia district, Sadr City, have celebrated the latest hangings, especially Barzan's.

But other Baghdad residents have said the executions have nothing to do with the problems Iraqis face every day, our correspondent adds.

In the Shia holy city of Najaf, residents beat drums and marched in the streets at news of the executions.

Speaking on a visit to Egypt, US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said while the executions were an Iraqi process, "we were disappointed there was not greater dignity given to the accused under these circumstances".

The UK prime minister's spokesman said it was "clearly wrong" if the executions had not been carried out in a dignified way.

Others called for the Iraqi authorities to end further executions and focus on national reconciliation