Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_B

New York Times Brands Islam

Hassan_B   

I have noticed from recent reports by the New York times of how they are branding islam into different brands. Case and point is the article: For Somalia, Chaos Breeds Religious War

They present what Islam is as what is followed by the ahlu sunna group and group al-shabaab/hisbul-is lam. ahlu sunna are the good sufis and al-shabaab are the savage extremist. it is the good muslim/bad muslim trick. But they do this in a false manner, here is an example of it:

Many Somalis say that the Sufi version of Islam, which stresses tolerance, mysticism and a personal relationship with God, is more congruent with their traditions than the Wahhabi Islam espoused by the Shabab, which calls for strict separation of the sexes and harsh punishments like amputations and stonings.

To them sufi islam is like western values with mystical tendencies. They say, "the Wahhabi Islam espoused by the Shabab, which calls for strict separation of the sexes and harsh punishments like amputations and stonings." They say this like this is not part of Islam!

It is obvious that my personal views are not neutral and that they are more inline with the ahlu sunna wal jamaa'a ulamas of somalia than any other groups. however, to attribute what is part of Islam, which there is concensus even with shia shouldn't be limited to a group the west dislike and hence mark those aspects of Islam as un-acceptable to the west. Genuine sufis are most scrupiluous to the shariah than anyone else and this includes all of the sharah and not some of it or most of it, to the best of their abilities. A sufi who does otherwise is a fake one.

The ahlu sunna group certainly don't need such false representation and propaganda. Shame on mr. gettlemen. their help is un-needed and detrimental.

The American mind sometimes has trouble understanding the complexities of the world and constantly needs re-assuring in the form of neat little "categories" for everything.

Religion and politics are dealt with using pre-school descriptions in Western journalism.

Hassan_B   

I think it is criminal to deliberately feed falsehood to the american public. How much can nytimes be trusted to be straightforward about anything? Why should I even bother reading it if this the kind of crap you get?