Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Interesting account of Mexican man's color preference.

NASSIR   

After reading this account from Mexican student in one of state universities, he has this to say about his preferential treatment of lighter color.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Castellanos Lopez Jose Alejandro (Alex)

Sociology 355 T-Th Class 9:30 to 10:45

Esbenshade Jill

Assignment #1

Predigest in Today’s Society

The question is if I consider myself white or am treated as white by others— I have personally experienced “white privileged†in my everyday life? And the answer is yes and no in a way.

I was born in Tijuana Mexico but I have always been able to cross to the U.S., and in the spring of 1992 I emigrated to the U.S. and I’ve been here ever since. Even though I’m Mexican compared to the rest of the population I am light skin, I fall under the 10 to 15% of the population that is lighter. So I’ve experienced this preferential treatment first hand on both sides of the border. For example I always have had good treatment in Tijuana restaurants and I never had any problems. Also I think it helps with the ladies' experience. I had Mexican female friends in the past say they wouldn’t date somebody of darker skin, but of course they were light skin. I think that there is a lot of predigest within the Mexican people against other’s just because they are darker. I personally have nothing against the color of the skin, but I do have a preference for lighter skin women it is just a preference nothing more. I dated women of all colors and different races.

In the Mexican culture even darker skin women tend to prefer men of lighter color, I don’t know why but I think unconsciously they know that there children are going to have it easier in life in general. For some reason it is how the Mexican society has worked for along time. I think that it may come from the Colonial era when Porfirio Diaz was in power. It is also seen in today’s commercials were most of the models are light skin “Gueras†that is women blonds in Spanish. That just what sells and advertisers and companies know it that is just what people area appealed to. Even most Mexican politicians are light skin, I’m guessing because there is a lot of predigest against darker people in the higher social classes of the rich and wealthy. That is just the consensus of the “socialsâ€.

Also since my English is pretty good sometimes people confuse me with been white and I do feel and see the difference, on both sides of the border. I remember my mother telling me that when I was born my grandma that I came out so light.

In conclusion in my society there’s always been predigest, and everybody wants “un guerito o guerita†that is a blond little boy or girl. And people always get complemented when they have one, and especially with light color eyes. Psychologically I think that it could be because there aren’t a lot of them, and people always want to be unique stand out in the crowd in a good way although. And most Mexican men want a “guera†they prefer them.