Sign in to follow this  
Hassan6734

British Minister Meets Somali President in Kenya

Shabelle-Nairobi — The Foreign Office Minister for Africa, Baroness Glenys Kinnock, is visiting Kenya between 13 and 15 January for wide-ranging discussions on bilateral and regional issues with members of Government, Parliament and civil society. During her visit she will hold bilateral meetings with Kenyan President Kibaki and his Prime Minister Odinga as well as the Somali President, Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed who is now in Kemya.

"I am also pleased that I will have the opportunity to meet the President of the Transitional Federal Government while I'm in Nairobi." Said the minister in a statement released by the British high commission in Nairobi.

We have been working hard with international partners to help Somalis build a peaceful and stable Somalia. Consistent engagement by all countries remains critical. Instability in Somalia caused by extremist insurgents has led to huge suffering to the Somali people themselves and presents a serious threat to regional and international peace, security and development . Kenya in particular knows only too well the challenges ongoing instability in Somalia presents to its neighbours. They and other countries in the region have a key role to play as part of the international community, she added.

While the situation in Somalia remains extremely difficult, there were some encouraging signs of progress towards the end of last year.

Relevant Links

The minister welcomed the TFG's strategic vision and plans for 2010 presented at the International Contact Group meeting in Jeddah in December and progress on the budget and on key institutional appointments. I look forward to discussing the TFG's plans for transition and further reconciliation. I will also be looking at how the international community can best co-ordinate its support to the TFG and of course to the African Union peace-keeping mission, AMISOM.

The UK remains committed to supporting AMISOM operations to which we contributed over £15 million last year. AMISOM is providing essential security in the most difficult circumstances. We will also continue to work with partners and the TFG to help reduce conflict and improve governance and democracy to make Somalia a place where people can live and return to safely. Our development assistance budget for 2009/10 stands at £25 million for the provision of humanitarian aid and delivering critical services in areas like health and education to the Somali people."