Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

I can't Stand ppl who call practicing muslims conservatives!!

Modesty   

Salaam, there are some "somali muslims" when they are near gaalo and you are practicing your religion who try to answer for you when a non-believer asks you about something about your religion, like Hijab, or why you don't shake hands. Why must a practicing person be called a 'conservative'? That is plain ignorant, and selling out your deen. Especially when some people who think that dressing like white boys think they are better than you with your hijab. Some Somali guys make me want to hammer their heads. It pisses me off, when some somalis who don't dress with islamic attire think that you aren't modern enough! I always show them I am better than them. I wear hijab and I can get a great job, and good grades! Walahi some Somali guys don't impress me anymore! I think I want to not ever marry with them.Some of them at my school are so gaaaaaay they are worst than gaalos.

p.s. no offense, i'm having a pissy day today smile.gif

Modesty, I may have an explanation for you as to why practicing people are called conservative or rather overtly religious people, those with full ‘attire’. This is so because a conservative person, is a person who is trying to conserve something, whether they be politics or beliefs. See often its all in the meaning, when we say conservative we think the way the media has identified this term with political connotations, and perhaps the people your engaging this discourse with are not taking an appositional stance to the mainstream meaning. This shouldn’t anger you, rather you should decode your argument in a modest manner. After all, labeling is something we do best as Somalis - just becuz a person prays five times a day we call them religious. Not to mention many of us say were Muslims but were not practicing and as soon as someone makes a comment about Islam or infringes on our core beliefs we get anger without an adequate response -- in sum we tent to be reactionary.

By the way just wearing the hijab is not wearing the full attire and secondly, I know sisters who wear the hijab while wearing tight and revealing clothes. So that should anger you as well.