Sign in to follow this  
Grad Student

Somali Dark Ages

Dark Ages:

Somali Parliament, its members unelected by the people, stand to be the hope of the people. They consist of rich gangsters, unread generals, illiterate bunch and voiceless former intellectuals. Most of them were property owners in good old Somalia. Somalis in the diaspora are their backbone and starkiest critics.

That is a description of the best institution my people have today. It is the exact reflection of Somali society at large.

:confused: Posts in Politics Section in Somaliaonline is a glimpse of "Democracy in Action" mob-rule style.

Haddad   

Somalis in the diaspora are their backbone and starkiest critics.

The above statement has no merit. Sure, Somalis in the diaspora send remittance, but it means little. Why? Because, one way or another, people will survive, with or without remittance. In fact, the majority of Somalis survive without remittance. Only about 10-15% of the Somali population live in diaspora. That's not a significant percentage from an economic "backbone" of view. What's more, Somalis in the diaspora have little or no grasp of the realities in Somalia. They are not in the playing field, and therefore do not even qualify to make comments as spectators. When you're away from Somalia and its lifestyle for 15 years, you lose the realities on the ground. Somalis in the diaspora have chosen the "easy way" of running away from responsibility, sacrifice, accountability, nation-building and etc. The bottom line: Somalis in the diaspora aren't their backbone and starkiest critics. Change (or revolution) will come at the hands of those who are in Somalia, have endured 15 years of lawlessness and hardships.

LANDER   

Originally posted by Socrates:

Dark Ages:

Somali Parliament, its members unelected by the people, stand to be the hope of the people. They consist of rich gangsters, unread generals, illiterate bunch and voiceless former intellectuals.

dark ages ey? I guess Somaliland would be some type of somali renaissance than. :D

LANDER

"Somaliland" is a fortunate entity, prosperous and self-governing. Member-states should recognize them on the basis of self-determination. Remember though, Kurds are looking for the elusive self-determination, so as the Brasque in Spain, Tibetans from China. An ideal/utopian world system would emerge hopefully someday.

HADDAD

I am glad u mentioned remittances. That is money estimated to be half-billion dollars conservatively is life-sustaining.

I ask, what about the political support, or rather allegiance to tyranny of the so-called warlords? Somalis abroad, undeniably, either support with clan rhetoric. A proof of my point is not necessary as it is evident. The Infamous paragraph that often entails every news report about somalia declares "Somalia has not had a functioning central government for 14 years". I am sure you know I am dramatizing when I say mant Somalis living outside of the country created, still contribute to the ongoing civil war.