Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Another Arab miscalculation, when will they ever learn?

LANDER   

Hargeisa (SL Times) – The man responsible for the Somali desk in the Arab League Secretariat, Mr. Samir Husni, said Somaliland cannot be accepted as a sovereign state by his regional organization unless its independence is approved through a referendum held in the whole of former Somalia.

“Somaliland’s proclamation of independence cannot be endorsed by the Arab League unless approved through a referendum held in the North as well as the South.” Mr. Husni said in an interview with the Somaliland Times shortly after his arrival in Hargeisa yesterday as the head of an Arab League fact-finding mission.

The Egyptian-born diplomat pointed out that such a referendum should be held under the auspices of the United Nations, and universally recognized organizations. He ruled out the possibility of an Arab League’s endorsement of two Somali states before that.

Mr. Husni added that the Arab League has been aware of the atrocities committed against people in Somaliland during Siyad Barre’s regime. “While we are aware of the military campaigns waged against the North by Siyad Barre, Morgan and others, however that is not a sufficient reason for the Arab League to recognize Somaliland.”

Mr. Husni was accompanied in this visit by Mr. Abdulla Mubarak Al-Uraymi, Assistant to the Arab League’s special envoy to Somalia, Zayed Al-Sabar, from the Arab League Secretariat, and Shamsa Haji Mohmaoud Farah, a Somali woman who heads the Horn of Africa Department.

The delegation will report back to the Secretary General of the Arab League, Mr. Amr Musa, on their findings in Somaliland. “We are going to examine the socio-economic situation in this region to compile an over-all report on the needs,” Mr. Samir Husni said.

Mr. Husni asserted that the Arab League member states will be expected to act on the recommendations of the report to be submitted by this mission. He concluded by saying the Arab League will be keen to deliver more aid to Somaliland in the near future.

We don't need the limited aid being handed out by these camel jockeys, I hope they are not welcomed in Somaliland again until they stop their greed and self-interest politics. They are the last people to be giving us advice

Here's another article that touches on some of the reasoning behind their seemingly illogical hostility towards Somaliland.

Arab or Egyptian league?

EDITORIAL

Somalilanders must have been wondering whether anything good would materialize from yesterday’s arrival in Hargeisa of two separate delegations from the Arab League and the Islamic Bank. Well, in so far as the Arab League delegation is concerned, nothing has changed. They are talking as if the now-defunct state of Somalia still exists. The man who heads the Somali desk in the League’s Secretariat, Mr. Samir Husni, even says that Somaliland’s independence can only be legitimized through a referendum to be held in Somaliland and Somalia. That shouldn’t have been surprising. Both the Arab League and the World Islamic Bank have in the past deliberately avoided meeting their obligations towards the people of Somaliland. In the eighties when Siyad Barre began his genocidal war against people here, causing the flight of hundreds of thousands of Somalilanders from their homes to Ethiopia, the Arab League failed to act to stop the atrocities. On the contrary, the organization had lent support to Barre’s dictatorial regime.

Following Barre’s downfall in 1991 and Somaliland’s subsequent withdrawal the same year from its 1960 union with ex-Italian Somalia, the Arab League, as an organization, has been actively opposed to this country’s efforts in nation-building and gaining international recognition. Even Somaliland’s background as an Arab Muslim country, in addition to being the only part of the former Somalia that has been peaceful and with a functioning government for the last decade, has failed to qualify it for receiving humanitarian assistance from both the Arab League and the Islamic Bank. The question is: why the Arab League has remained hostile towards Somaliland and the Islamic Bank refrained from putting money into this country’s development programs?

According to the Egyptian dominated and led Arab League, Somaliland has sinned for reinstating its independent status and abandoning the dream of “Greater Somalia”. Because 80% of the Nile waters originate from Ethiopia, Egyptian rulers since the 18th century, have been obsessed with the idea that the day might come when Egyptian water supplies will dwindle as a result of a dramatic rise in Ethiopia’s water consumption needs. A key element in the Egyptian Nile water strategy has been to acquire allies among Ethiopia's neighbors that can be used as leverage against Ethiopia should such a need arise. Sudan is one of those Egyptian allies. Somalia, before it fell apart, was another. Somalia's irredentist policies toward Ethiopia provided an excellent cover for Egyptian attempts to weaken Ethiopia. With the disintegration of Somalia, and Somaliland's refusal to take part in Egyptian schemes against Ethiopia, a severe blow was dealt to the Egyptian-Somali alliance. Therefore, the very existence of Somaliland as an independent state is a reminder to Egypt of the dismal failure of one of the main components of its policies in the Horn of Africa.

What did Egypt do in the face of such a failure? Unfortunately, instead of reassessing and changing its unworkable policies, the Egyptian government continued on the same course by trying to resuscitate the defunct state of Somalia and putting a lot of pressure on Somaliland to rejoin Somalia with the aim of reviving the anti-Ethiopian alliance. But just as they had failed before, the same Egyptian policies are failing again. Abdiqasim Salad Hasan has failed to revive the state of Somalia despite the backing of Egypt, the Arab League, and substantial financial assistance from Saudi Arabia and Arab Gulf countries. Egypt's misguided policies have widened the rift with Ethiopia, a country in which is located the chief headstream of the Nile and with a population of about 67 million, close to 50% of which are Muslims. Egypt has also turned many Somalilanders against it because of its opposition to their self-determination.

Mr. Husni, an Egyptian national, would do his country and the Arab League a great service if he points out to them the total failure and destructive consequences of their policies toward the region, and that a change in course is long overdue in order to protect legitimate Arab national interests. That change could start with a more constructive engagement with Somaliland, a country whose re-emergence, stability and progress is the major success story in the Horn of Africa.

Salaan...

Since there is too many topics regarding Soomaaliland in every God-given forum or website by Soomaalis on the Internet, I would like to ask you or anybody who wants to break into pieces the nation of Soomaaliya this question {actually, questions} for once and all:

Is Somaliland a nation based on qabiil? Or not?

If it is, how can a nation based on qabiil be called "dhulkii Soomaalida" {that is my understanding of the literal meaning of Somaliland} and then deport other so-called "foreign" Soomaalis from other regions that reside there. If it is a nation based not on qabiil, I can bet you and every person almost 99.9999% that supports Soomaaliland are originated from one qabiil. If it was called the qabiil's name or "qabiilland," these questions shouldn't be asked now.

I can further more bet on my life whose qabiil you belong. I am saying this because if Soomaaliland is based not on qabiil, then why it is easy to know only certain "elements" of one qabiil support it {not all members of this qabiil support secession, mind you, and that is rightly applauded}.

I am asking these questions because some people are confused about what "Soomaali" stands and what their qabiil is. The Soomaali word is qabiil-less and cannot be exclusive; cannot be trademarked or registered. It all belongs to all Soomaalis--regardless of anything they are associated. Any nation that bears a Soomaali word should not and must not deport a Soomaali.

P.S.: Don't start Soomaali is an ethnic and "Somalilander" is nationality formula. That doesn't do much justice to the word Soomaali.

Macsalaama.

“Somaliland’s proclamation of independence cannot be endorsed by the Arab League unless approved through a referendum held in the North as well as the South.”

is this an artical in arab league's constitution or is it the wish of this guy.

BN   

Every country looks out for its own interests. What does Egypt have to gain by supporting the secession of Somaliland?

AYOUB   

Soyaal:

is this an artical in arab league's constitution or is it the wish of this guy.

This looks like sounds personal opinion of yet another individual who has just realised Somaliland is here to stay.

Macruuf:

I can bet you and every person almost 99.9999% that supports Soomaaliland are originated from one qabiil. If it was called the qabiil's name or "qabiilland," these questions shouldn't be asked now.

I can further more bet on my life whose qabiil you belong. I am saying this because if Soomaaliland is based not on qabiil, then why it is easy to know only certain "elements" of one qabiil support it {not all members of this qabiil support secession, mind you, and that is rightly applauded}.

This is very interesting, would you like to inform us as to how you came to these conclusions that you are prepared to lose your life for?

Gabbal   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

Macruuf:

This is very interesting, would you like to inform us as to how you came to these conclusions that you are prepared to lose your life for?

O.k :confused: It doesn't necessarily take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

This looks like sounds personal opinion of yet another individual who has just realised Somaliland is here to stay.

if that is the case then the guy needs to visit other parts of somalia to fill his knowledge gab so he can offer more informed opinion.

LANDER   

Miskiin macruuf,

I slightly had to debate whether to reply to your posting or not. The reason being that you first start of by asking a reasonable question, but than you go on to answer that question yourself. So if you already have the answers to your question "is Somaliland based on qabiil?" than why even pose the question in the first place?. Saxiib I would be glad as a Somalilander to exchange my views with you but it seems to me your not really sincere in your attempt to understand the inter-workings of Somaliland. It seems you have already formulated answers in your mind with regards to that matter i.e.

I can bet you and 99.9% of somaliland supporters orignate from one qabiil

If this is the case than, it would suggest your are not open to other views regarding Somaliland other than the ones you already have concluded yourself. Meaning we would just be wasting each others time.

AYOUB   

Lander yaa saxbii you are spot on. Thats why I only bothered to ask how he came to those conclusions. Its also almost impossible to respond to those questions (and answers) with the 'rules' imposed by SOL.