AYOUB   

U.S. Special Envoy Cites Widespread ‘Lack of Confidence’ in Somali Government

Interviewee:

John M. Yates, U.S. Special Envoy to Somalia

Interviewer:

Stephanie Hanson, News Editor

September 19, 2007

yates.jpg

Since the United States tacitly supported an Ethiopian invasion of Somalia that ousted the Islamic Courts Union controlling much of the country, Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government has struggled in its stabilization efforts. Ambassador John M. Yates, U.S. special envoy to Somalia, says there has been “some momentum” since the close of a six-week reconciliation conference in August, and that the “first priority will be the drafting of a constitution.” Yates notes, however, that the security situation in Mogadishu remains “fairly dismal,” and there is a “lack of confidence in the Transitional Federal Government in its capacity to carry forward.” He says the Eritrea provides support to insurgents in Somalia, but the U.S. ability to influence Eritrea “seems to be limited.”

As the U.S. special envoy to Somalia you’ve kept a pretty low profile. Can you discuss what your focus has been since you took this role, and some of the different challenges that you’ve faced thus far?

I’ve been running within the embassy in Nairobi, the Somali unit. We’re now up to about five Americans and two Foreign Service Nationals, and my main focus has been on dealing with the [Transitional] Federal Government, with all the different stripes of Somali leaders, and with the international community. I’ve been traveling quite a bit, especially to Addis Ababa. You should understand that the ambassador to Kenya, Michael Ranneberger, is also officially responsible for the conduct of foreign relations with Somalia, so he is also very much involved. We work very closely together, of course with the assistant secretary, [Jendayi] Frazer.

And have you been traveling to Somalia?

No, so far we are not because of the security concerns. Except one time in the time that I’ve been here, I flew in with Assistant Secretary Frazer to meet with the prime minister and speak with parliament.

FULL INTERVIEW- us_special_envoy_cites_widespread_lack_of_confidence_in_somali_government.html

i guess the clan cheerleaders ignored this thread

that clock is ticking away! hopefully, uncle is shopping for his villa in addis!

i know the pig has already paid 2 million for his crip in kenya.

"the pig"? only Somali qaxotees have the nerve to call their leaders "The pig". look, if you have beef with, all this swearing in SOL is not going to get you anywhere, go to xamar and tell them so!

Jamster   

Just wondering where in the interview does he the Ambs say that TFG is losing the confidence of the Somali populace? Stephanie Hanson's seems to be generating some hype!.

Post Script: This does not mean I love the Tigreys and the TFG!!! :D it was just an observation.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Fahiye:

Just wondering where in the interview does he the Ambs say that TFG is losing the confidence of the Somali populace? Stephanie Hanson's seems to be generating some hype!.

Post Script: This does not mean I love the Tigreys and the TFG!!!
:D
it was just an observation.

Really? :D A classic sign of a ku-meel-gaadh doughboy is their attacks on journalists smile.gif Here it is..

"....and what I found in talking to people outside of the process—and these are not necessarily the Courts although earlier on we did talk to some of them, too—is their lack of confidence in the Transitional Federal Government in its capacity to carry forward."