Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

Why do they call it Somaliland?

Arawella   

What exactly is there to explain amigo? The name says it all! I suppose since they were the first to gain independence in 1960, there is obviously no reason why they shouldn't use the name Somalia. However to differentiate themselves from South Somalia it's logical to add Land. Hence Somali + Land = Somaliland. ;)

Fathia, hi smile.gif

I thought it was stand that a somali country would have an english name and I wanted to know why they have named their republic in english.

I mean, like in Somaliland, do the somali people that don't speak English call the state they live under Somaliland? If so, don't they ever wonder what "land" means?

Fathia, hi smile.gif

I thought it was stand that a somali country would have an english name and I wanted to know why they have named their republic in english.

I mean, like in Somaliland, do the somali people that don't speak English call the state they live under Somaliland? If so, don't they ever wonder what "land" means?

Arawella   

Well for one the word Somaliland sounds more pleasing than Somalidhool. In addition, we are not isolated in using compounds, i.e. Nationality + Land, to name our country for instance there are countries like Finland, Iceland and Greenland.

Arawella   

Well for one the word Somaliland sounds more pleasing than Somalidhool. In addition, we are not isolated in using compounds, i.e. Nationality + Land, to name our country for instance there are countries like Finland, Iceland and Greenland.

Fathia, you make a good point but maybe in those counties Finland, Iceland and Greenland the word 'land' has meaning in their language.

Suldaaanka thank you for pointing out that Somalia is actually Italian, I didn't realize that. This just adds to my bewilderment.

No fuzz, I am taken a back at how gaalo-centric we are even at the highest levels of intellectual and political leadership that we would use foreign languages to name our states and even ourselves. I shouldn't be talking since I'm barely able to string two somali words together.

Fathia, you make a good point but maybe in those counties Finland, Iceland and Greenland the word 'land' has meaning in their language.

Suldaaanka thank you for pointing out that Somalia is actually Italian, I didn't realize that. This just adds to my bewilderment.

No fuzz, I am taken a back at how gaalo-centric we are even at the highest levels of intellectual and political leadership that we would use foreign languages to name our states and even ourselves. I shouldn't be talking since I'm barely able to string two somali words together.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

quote: Why do they call it Somaliland?

Both Somaliland (English Suffix) and Somalia (Italian suffix) are from colonial era. Why the fuzz sxb?
Suldaanka actually the colonies were called British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland respectively. As with all other states, when the Republic gained independence it required an informal comman name and that is where Somalia came, in lieu of the formal Somali Republic.

Somalia does not have an Italian suffix, but a Greco-Roman suffix that is in widespread use. Somalia (land of the Somalis), Ethiopia (land of the burnt skin), etc are just some nations whose name was influenced by western civilization, their Greco-Roman foundation, and the latin language that has influenced all the other European languages including English. smile.gif

Gabbal   

Both Somaliland (English Suffix) and Somalia (Italian suffix) are from colonial era. Why the fuzz sxb?
Suldaanka actually the colonies were called British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland respectively. As with all other states, when the Republic gained independence it required an informal comman name and that is where Somalia came, in lieu of the formal Somali Republic.

Somalia does not have an Italian suffix, but a Greco-Roman suffix that is in widespread use. Somalia (land of the Somalis), Ethiopia (land of the burnt skin), etc are just some nations whose name was influenced by western civilization, their Greco-Roman foundation, and the latin language that has influenced all the other European languages including English. smile.gif

LANDER   

Both Somaliland (English Suffix) and Somalia (Italian suffix) are from colonial era.
^Probably the most forgotten fact in all the ignorance surrounding the root of "Somaliland", is the root of the word "Somalia". As if the ladder was some sort of proper somali termination and the former a purely colonial invention by comparison. I ain't a linguist by no means, nonetheless many of us can notice a pattern with Latin rooted proper names like Germania, Francia, Polonia, Italia, Britannia etc...and Somalia. Till this day I have ppl coming to me and asking how and why do you people call yourselves "Somaliland" some of them are simply pulling my leg but some others are dead serious in their conviction. Somaliland is a gaalo invention they tell me, why would you want to have a country with a Gaalo name?.....In all scenarios my answer to such questions is >>>>> :D

role with the punches I say...because to these people anything you tell them no matter how honest or sincere, will go out in one ear and out the other. Next week they will ask you the same thing with equal conviction and vigour. Your best bet is to answer something equally as ignorant such as we prefer gaalo over other somalis thats why! (essentially what they wanna hear)...now you just sit back and wait for a tongue lashing :D ,best believe they ain't gon forget that last comment by next week and you can both pick up your ignorant conversation from where you left off.

LANDER   

Both Somaliland (English Suffix) and Somalia (Italian suffix) are from colonial era.
^Probably the most forgotten fact in all the ignorance surrounding the root of "Somaliland", is the root of the word "Somalia". As if the ladder was some sort of proper somali termination and the former a purely colonial invention by comparison. I ain't a linguist by no means, nonetheless many of us can notice a pattern with Latin rooted proper names like Germania, Francia, Polonia, Italia, Britannia etc...and Somalia. Till this day I have ppl coming to me and asking how and why do you people call yourselves "Somaliland" some of them are simply pulling my leg but some others are dead serious in their conviction. Somaliland is a gaalo invention they tell me, why would you want to have a country with a Gaalo name?.....In all scenarios my answer to such questions is >>>>> :D

role with the punches I say...because to these people anything you tell them no matter how honest or sincere, will go out in one ear and out the other. Next week they will ask you the same thing with equal conviction and vigour. Your best bet is to answer something equally as ignorant such as we prefer gaalo over other somalis thats why! (essentially what they wanna hear)...now you just sit back and wait for a tongue lashing :D ,best believe they ain't gon forget that last comment by next week and you can both pick up your ignorant conversation from where you left off.