Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

Why do they call it Somaliland?

Why do they call it Somaliland? From what I've read that's what gaalka, gumeestaha use to call that area when he were raping our people. Why acknowledge him by accepting his terms? That seems to me something a b!tch ni99a would do.

Why not name the state something somali instead of using the language of gumeestaha?

And Puntland too... I thought somali people couldn't even pronounce the letter P, so how are you going to have a country there who's name starts with P? Shouldn't they call it Buntland :D

uchi   

I allways wondered why they called it Puntland myself. I guess you can justify it, by the whole Land of Punt etc.

I guess in Somali, its spelled Buntland when you do write it, However, what about land -

uchi   

I allways wondered why they called it Puntland myself. I guess you can justify it, by the whole Land of Punt etc.

I guess in Somali, its spelled Buntland when you do write it, However, what about land -

Xargaga   

I used to hear somethings like FIEFDOMS, KINGDOMS < SHEIKHDOMS. So on so forth. But in the case of ex-somalia waxaa ka dilaacay "LANDDOMS!!! :D:D

markaa i believe somaliland is the mother of all. long before somalia. waanay soconaysaa wixii diidana daadkaa qaadi period. :D

Xargaga   

I used to hear somethings like FIEFDOMS, KINGDOMS < SHEIKHDOMS. So on so forth. But in the case of ex-somalia waxaa ka dilaacay "LANDDOMS!!! :D:D

markaa i believe somaliland is the mother of all. long before somalia. waanay soconaysaa wixii diidana daadkaa qaadi period. :D

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

I am really surprised on how people here sometimes jump away from the subject at hand. The brother asked a simple question of Why Somaliland is named Somaliland? So since no body seems to answer your question let me just jump in and shed little light on it or may be try to give the best answer possible.

First of all you are a bit off when you said that Somaliland is called Somaliland, because the British named it Somaliland. The fact is that the term "Somaliland" doesn't really mean anything but the land of Somalis which were divided into many different regions. As you are aware the French accupied Jabuti, The British accupied what is now Somaliland, and the Italians in the East and the Southern Somalilands and later Western Somaliland was taken by Ethiopia. So in order to differentiate all this lands of Somalis, each occupier added their name infront of the Somaliland to show who occupies the area. If Somaliland was still named British Somaliland then I would then agree with your point but that is not the case. The name was already there previously when the land was ruled by Somalis, gone when ruled by British and then now it's right back to the land of Somalis. The British part is cut off and the name is back to Somaliland not British Somaliland, French Somaliland, Italian Somaliland, or Ethiopian Somaliland. but then when the former British and Italian Somaliland merged, a new name emerged; Somalia.

To answer your question of Why it's Somaliland, I would have to say why not call it Somaliland since it's a land inhabited by 100% ethnic Somalis. Wouldn't you think that fits nicely. In my side I don't really see what the problem is of calling a place in which is inhabited by Somalis to be called Somaliland. You do speak English don't you, then what does the term Somaliland mean to you? do you see anywhere where gaalo shows up in this name? Think about it and stare at it for as long as you want, it's just Somaliland all around; the land of Somalis.

In addition, Puntand isn't a country but a peaceful state within Somalia. And the name Puntland or Buntland which ever way you like it dates back to 1000 years ago when the Phaorohs of Egypt used to come to Sanaag regions to do trade of goods that grew up there. I cannot surely say that is an accurate history but that is where the name appearantly came from.

Besides who said Somalis can't prounce the letter "P". I am Somali and I can say it fine and don't even say you grew up here,because I wasn't.

Did you know that Somalis are one of only few poeple in the world who can prounce every letter althought it may not be in their alphabetical structure. Forexample Westerners cannot pronounce the letters "x,Q,C" from Somali alphabet. But we can in turn say the letters P, and Z which are not in our alphabets. It's quite a talent to have.

Assalamu Calaykum.

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

I am really surprised on how people here sometimes jump away from the subject at hand. The brother asked a simple question of Why Somaliland is named Somaliland? So since no body seems to answer your question let me just jump in and shed little light on it or may be try to give the best answer possible.

First of all you are a bit off when you said that Somaliland is called Somaliland, because the British named it Somaliland. The fact is that the term "Somaliland" doesn't really mean anything but the land of Somalis which were divided into many different regions. As you are aware the French accupied Jabuti, The British accupied what is now Somaliland, and the Italians in the East and the Southern Somalilands and later Western Somaliland was taken by Ethiopia. So in order to differentiate all this lands of Somalis, each occupier added their name infront of the Somaliland to show who occupies the area. If Somaliland was still named British Somaliland then I would then agree with your point but that is not the case. The name was already there previously when the land was ruled by Somalis, gone when ruled by British and then now it's right back to the land of Somalis. The British part is cut off and the name is back to Somaliland not British Somaliland, French Somaliland, Italian Somaliland, or Ethiopian Somaliland. but then when the former British and Italian Somaliland merged, a new name emerged; Somalia.

To answer your question of Why it's Somaliland, I would have to say why not call it Somaliland since it's a land inhabited by 100% ethnic Somalis. Wouldn't you think that fits nicely. In my side I don't really see what the problem is of calling a place in which is inhabited by Somalis to be called Somaliland. You do speak English don't you, then what does the term Somaliland mean to you? do you see anywhere where gaalo shows up in this name? Think about it and stare at it for as long as you want, it's just Somaliland all around; the land of Somalis.

In addition, Puntand isn't a country but a peaceful state within Somalia. And the name Puntland or Buntland which ever way you like it dates back to 1000 years ago when the Phaorohs of Egypt used to come to Sanaag regions to do trade of goods that grew up there. I cannot surely say that is an accurate history but that is where the name appearantly came from.

Besides who said Somalis can't prounce the letter "P". I am Somali and I can say it fine and don't even say you grew up here,because I wasn't.

Did you know that Somalis are one of only few poeple in the world who can prounce every letter althought it may not be in their alphabetical structure. Forexample Westerners cannot pronounce the letters "x,Q,C" from Somali alphabet. But we can in turn say the letters P, and Z which are not in our alphabets. It's quite a talent to have.

Assalamu Calaykum.