Sign in to follow this  
Macalin

kat/qat/jaad/miraa...harmful or what?

Macalin   

hey nomads.

i found this in a scienstific website.

now if this is true...then we sure could make money off khat..and help these fat and obese americans,or this explains why most somalis (especially men) are sooo skinny.am curious any future science students interested?

what yall think?.

PS if u cant read this long abstract go to. http://www.biopsychiatry.com/khat.htm

ABSTRACT

Cathinone is an alkaloid that has been discovered some fifteen years ago in the leaves of the khat bush. This plant grows in East Africa and in southern Arabia, and the inhabitants of these regions frequently chew khat because of its stimulating properties. Cathinone, which is S(-)-alpha-aminopropiophenone, was soon found to have a pharmacological profile closely resembling that of amphetamine; indeed, in a wide variety of in vitro and in vivo experiments it was demonstrated that cathinone shares the action of amphetamine on CNS as well as its sympathomimetic effects; thus, for example, drug-conditioned animals will not distinguish between cathinone and amphetamine. These various observations were confirmed by a clinical experiment showing that cathinone also in humans produces amphetamine-like objective and subjective effects. Finally, it was demonstrated that cathinone operates through the same mechanism as amphetamine, i.e. it acts by releasing catecholamines from presynaptic storage sites. Thus, much experimental evidence indicates that cathinone is the main psychoactive constituent of the khat leaf and that, in fact, this alkaloid is a natural amphetamine.

Amphetamine Abuse

Popularly known as bennies, crank, speed, pep pills, wakeups, or uppers, amphetamines are addictive and easily abused: users can become psychologically dependent on the drugs and, developing a tolerance for them, can require increasingly large doses (see drug addiction and drug abuse). When the drugs wear off, a long period of sleep ensues, often followed by hunger and depression, which can lead to further use of amphetamines. Amphetamine addiction has been common among such diverse groups as truck drivers, students, and athletes, who have used the drugs for increased energy, alertness, or endurance. Methamphetamine, made from ephedrine and other chemicals in clandestine laboratories in the the United States or Mexico, experienced a resurgence in use in the western United States in the mid-1990s. Amphetamines are inhaled, taken orally, or injected; as with other injected drugs, needle sharing increases the risk of contracting the AIDS virus. One form of methamphetamine, “ice,” is smoked. For law enforcement purposes in the United States, most amphetamines are grouped with such drugs as cocaine and morphine because of the similarity in their effects, medical usefulness, and high potential for abuse. 3

Side Effects

Amphetamines can produce severe systemic effects, including cardiac irregularities and gastric disturbances. Chronic use often results in insomnia, hyperactivity, irritability, and aggressive behavior. Addiction can result in psychosis or death from overexhaustion or cardiac arrest. Amphetamine-induced psychosis often mimics schizophrenia, with paranoia and hallucinations.

Kruella   

First of all Khat is a narcotic and the side effects can only be speculated by modern science. I don't even think they took the time to do a study on it...at least nothing substantial bc it's not a pressing matter to them like cancer or STDs. Who the hell will be stupid enough to fund any study like that? Second thing is, somali men are skinny for other reasons I don't think it's because of Khat ...coz i know some fat/obese dudes who feed on that stuff like it's Baskin Robbin(Guess they ain't having any luck with it)

In overall, Khat is bad for your health, it's balwad, time-consuming and plain disgusting. Let's not even mention the yellow teeth. I don't see why these men can't stop!

salam

Baydan   

Hi Lakkad ..You should realy capitalize the first letter of your nick...

Good information up there. I have revulsion of a extreme case to those ppl that eat cawskan they call qat. Freaking drugists. Harmfull to themselves and society.