Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Reading 'Governance: The Scourge and Hope of Somalia'

NASSIR   

I'm really impressed by the depth and intensity the new book "Governance, by Ismail A. Ismail", reconstructs the missing strands of Somalia's history and its varrying political edifices. A dissection of important historic events is shown in a manner that can hardly be explained by those with limited grasp and view of our history, culture and politics. It also traces Somalia's present societal ills (at most) to the colonial designs of Italy and its fascist policies, which had even lingered in full effect after its defeat in WWII. The author also argues that good governance (as the author is an expert in the field), requires a combination of indigenous and modern solution based on finding a compatibality between traditional and and modern structures of governance. Simply Brilliant and much overdue! I couldn't put it down.

It also traces Somalia's present societal ills (at most) to the colonial designs of Italy and its fascist policies, which had even lingered in full effect after its defeat in WWII.

mafioso mentality?

where is this book available?

Cowke   

Nasir, if you go to the south have you noticed the "odey-dhaqameedyo" are not even paid attention too? this goes back to colonial italy time where they eliminated the traditional structures in place. The traditional system are more stronger in places where the colonials didn't have presence like north-east.

But if you go to hamar where was the base of this administration, they will really didn't allow ppl to use odey-dhaqameedyo and made them "irrelevant" and ever since as u can see hamar still is affected by that where the odey-dhaqameedyo noone even listens to.

The colonial french were even worse. Have u seen jabutians they speak french more then they speak somali, the french was like that everywhere they went. Look at sierre leonne, morroco and countlesss other colonies where they have very strong french influence!!! Thankfully though the italians didn't really tamper with the language or else we would be speaking italian in hamar more then somali.

But the italians did definitely tamper with the traditional systems in place in the south where they said pretty much "not needed" anymore!!!

NASSIR   

Sayid, WardheerNews has it posted the reviews, excerpts and other related info like if you are interested to order a copy.

Cawke, it's more than that and I'm sure you will learn much more than you knew before and he puts it, "I thought that my generation owed it to posterity to write what they know honestly, without distortion of the facts and without favor to or malice towards anyone.

"I believe young Somalis who have lost touch with the past of their history---and have a distorted view of it---should know what went wrong, what led their state to fail, and what destroyed their country. Connectivity between generations is very important, for without it, continuity would be lost"