Sign in to follow this  
Mowgli

Gene Therapy

Johnny B   

If the rib is the one bone that can regrow if the surrounding membrane (periosteum) is left intact, then how come men have one less rib than Women? ;)

Does the genetic instructions passed on to the offspring contain acuurate information, is less information sometimes preferable say in the case of a parent who have 6 fingers on his right hand?

If Adam´s missing rib was genetically inherritable why woulden´t those 6 fingers. :D

Mowgli   

^^ As adults, we have 206 bones...It's a common misbelief but WE ALL HAVE 12 PAIRS of ribs...

Nope, genetics instructions do not always contain accurate information, that's why we have hereditary diseases, mutations, or mistakes in our DNA.

lol i'm guessing that most of us would prefer 5 fingers to 6...I don't know if it is a dominant trait, but if it is, then it would be passed on to the offspring, however, if the trait is a recessive one, then you'd need two 6 fingered parents to have a 6-fingered child (1/4 chance). But then again, just because you have the gene coding for the 6 fingers does not mean you'll express the trait. It all has to do with penetrance...if the 6 finger gave ppl a super human strength, or it had some magic ability and it was advantageous in the society we'd lived in...then there would be more of us with the 6th finger...but because there is no advantage to it, the trait is not expressed widely in our population(?).

ps lol interesting question

raula   

Likewise i never got past genetics in detail except my basic biology class. But from what i have acquired what angiogenesis cannot cure is something like atherelosclerosis and others like metabolic syndrome X since they lead to CVD. See, gene therapy can accelerate the production of new vessels or cells etc but still does not curb the root of the problem which perhaps is part genetic and mostly lifestyle choices. As Caano has already mentioned there are trials to introduce nanotechnology in stem cell research and other gene therapy. Just days ago, a saw a piece where they were future prospects of introducing robotic phagotyces to boost the body's immune system. However, this would take place of million of cells-therefore mean having millions, perhaps trillions of microphages (robotic) in the body..and this is not even plausible. Let alone how would they regenerate?

NB: The damage done to vessels are reversible due to their makeup(physiologically)-where they are made from different tissues or cartillage etc, but NERVES/neurons are different story.

Tha's my genuine perception,N'ways and ofcourse its just from my crude science.

Muriidi   

i once read story by isac asimov about some future society that decided during a war to replace their missile guiding computers with people(kamikazes) 'cause that was cheaper.

following that model of idiocracy ...naa wait..

gene therapy you say ?

gene therapy is not about inserting some gene into the patient's body,but the already known genes can be stimulated or manipulated same as hormone glands can be stimulated.

of course it's not only a social issue but also an evironmental issue ;it's not tight enough to be called a symbiosis but clear enough to be taken into consideration that all beings are codependant in their development.

i heard of people who were cured from cancer,but the therapy caused them to mutate and they died from boredom!the world wasn't enough.

we need to discover what activates/deactivate s genes, then we need to develop an algorithm...yes genes are not predifined.

i think we will someday have all these technological advances you hear about on the news, and see on movies. from what little i've read, genetics 'spose to be the next big thing to happen to us. just hope no one uses it for a bad purpose.

Muriidi   

everything you see around you is a projection of your subconcious !

you may now panic ..

call this number .. 88

on the other end , someone will explain to you how the meanings of the french words "sur" and "sous" were exchanged ..

sur actually means under ..

so surreal ..

feeling better already .. ?

let's take it from the top ..

everything you see around you is just a projection of our collective subcoucious !

.. it's too late to panic now ..